“Nowhere Near the Best.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Newcastle
“Nowhere Near the Best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went to this restaurant as it was so high in the Tripadvisor rankings. Number 1 when I chose it, number 2 today. I ordered the special burger from the chalkboard while my partner had beef soup from the daily menu. My partner’s soup was more like a thick wallpaper paste than a soup though it tasted OK, my burger was tiny. It was only after I checked with the chalkboard again that I realised I had potato wedges not fries as in the menu and the promised onion rings were just that. Promised but missing.

So I’m unsure how this place gets its Tripadvisor rating. If you want a burger you could do much better at the Forth pub in town and either the Brandling Arms or Bistro 95 in the nearby suburb of Gosforth. And that’s ignoring the excellent and long-standing staple restaurants of the Newcastle scene such as the reliable and excellent value Francesca’s.

Visited December 2012

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A great bistro and bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

For bistro food this is really excellent, you can tell the chef puts thought into his/her menu. I was going to see the comedy, got there early so decided to have some food. It was good value and good quality, a veggie banana burger and chips. I really enjoyed it and the chips are the great homemade style that I love. The staff were very good too and the comedy club itself is the best in the country by a mile. A really good night out.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle
“Be warned - opens only when it suits them”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

On the website they say they open at 10am. On the menus, it says open from 10am. In the big menu in the window, it says open from 10am.

Arrive at 10:45, and it's closed. Phone them and they say "Sorry, we won't be open till 12".

"Don't you open at 10? It says 10 on your website and in your window?"

"No, we only open when we're ready, and that can be anytime, it's always different. We won't be open til 12 today."

So, make your plans to have brunch with your friends. Travel into town. Park. Pay for parking. Meet your friends. Discover that your plans are ruined and the trip into Newcastle was pointless, because today they won't be ready until 12. Apologise to all your friends who have also had a wasted journey.

Or, perhaps you could go in the evening, when the service is very, very slow.

• Visited December 2012
newcastle
“5-star food but service a little slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's a shame to award this place only 4 stars because the food was very very very good (considering the price, I'd say exceptional), but the service was too slow. Not really the staff's fault, there just weren't enough of them on duty. 2 or 3 of them were having a break and eating on the table next to us whilst we were eating, which only made it worse as we could see and smell their food which made us even hungrier.

I ended up ordering our food at the bar as we had been sat waiting for 10 minutes at least. Not the waitresses fault - she was lovely and polite (although not the one who reluctantly greeted us when we walked in - I have to say that I didn't feel immediately welcome in the place - I don't want an American "good day Sir, how are you", but I would like to feel appreciated a little). These issues aside, the staff seemed to have a nice team bond going on - friendly and vibrant.

Anyway, back to the good bit. I had roast beef and it was one of the nicest roasts I've ever had. The portion wasn't massive and it wouldn't be enough for a big eater, but for me it was perfect. The dessert was also very good. Hats off to the chefs.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northumberland
“A big surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Well, when I heard we were going to the bistro before the comedy, I was a bit disappointed and set my sights low. However, the food here is really high standard and excellent value. The service was also great and they have some nice wine too. Really very good indeed!

Visited November 2012