“Probably the WORST Indian meal & service you could ever wish for!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Days of the Raj

The Days of the Raj
49 Great North Rd | 49 Great North Road, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 2HH, England
0191 284 9666
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Gosforth, United Kingdom
“Probably the WORST Indian meal & service you could ever wish for!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I thought i would see if things had changed after a series of mediocre meals 2 years ago as this is the closest Indian Restaurant to home! Why did I bother.........OMG my party was greeted by cold, impolite behavior. Opening words within 30s of sitting down 'DRINKS!'. l will only speak factually.....the food portions are tiny; tasteless, full of artificial colouring to make up for paucity of taste; warm if you are lucky; chicken tikka was not cooked through properly. Grumpy and rude staff to top it off! In fact when i asked why they were behaving in this manner I was told 'Do you know how many times i walked to your table? 17 times!!!'. This was a lie anyway! More like 7 times....but who's counting? THEY ARE! Not only that.... but at the end of our terrible night after paying they only gave me 2 mints for 4 people.....and that was only AFTER asking for them in the first place! My parting words were that 'the newspapers would love to hear about your poor food and service'. To which the main waiter replied......'we hear that so many times!!!'......yeah i wonder why?? ;-)
SO in SUMMARY: Go there if you want over priced tasteless, borderline dangerously undercooked food couple with very rude, obnoxious Bangladeshi staff. On the plus side the have draft Cobra and the Naan bread is quite ok!'. I am not a restaurant but a doctor so this is an unbiased suggestion.........I tell my friends from all over the UK who visit Newcastle.... if you really want GREAT INDIAN FOOD...there are only 3 places to go first...1. KOMAL BALTI HOUSE STANHOPE ST (very close to St James' and the old General Hospital (fantastic tasty dishes with warm hospitality and bring your own non/alcoholic drinks policy, as they have no drinks licence & no frill hearty ambience and FIRST RATE VALUE FOR MONEY 2. SACHINS on the quayside (Forth Banks) for the tastiest up class Indian food this side of the Indian Ocean....great to impress your Boss or future lover! and 3. RASA in the heart of the quayside....but the food here is more Southern Indian style...first class preparation and the very best service and attitude from staff! I SAY NO MORE but why waste your hard earned money on the DAYS of the RAJ?? JUST DON'T DO IT.....even with a GROUPON or any other voucher....as it will leave a very bitter and more expensive taste in your mouth forever!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED and any review below that commends it is either a relative/business partner or really has no palate for GENUINELY GOOD INDIAN FOOD!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hertfordshire
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had a very pleasant meal here with my partner, the meat was tender and the flavours were just right. Service was good. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated, don't be put off by the look of the place from the outside, the only thing that lets it down is a lack of parking spaces.

Visited September 2012
“Awful food & charged for sauces that we didn't request”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We used a groupon voucher which gave the two of us 1 x starter and 1x main however there was little choice available for up to the value of the voucher so we paid and extra £1 each on the starter and £2 each on main then ordered 2xrice 1xnan and 1xpoppadom with 2x soft drinks each and the bill was an extra £26...the receipt was scribbled so difficult to make out and when we questioned one of the charges we found that rather than charging 80p as advertised for a poppadom they charged us over £3.50! They said its for the sauces they had brought us yet we hadn't even asked for them they just put them on the table! So beware as it appears they add a little extra on drinks and sides compared to the menu prices! The food was terrible! We had chicken tikka massala which was very pale red and was tasteless and after a minute started to set with a skin on it...neither of us could finish it! I would never use this restaurant again even with a voucher! The staff didn't even respond when we pointed out that they had charged us for things we didn't order! No wonder we were the only ones in there!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We attended the Days of the Raj which is located upstairs in Harewood House next to the garage on Great North road. Having been to many Indian restaurants in both North and South Tyneside which have excellent restaurants, I suppose I have fairly high expectations and of a warm welcome.

No warm welcome here- indeed I dont think anyone smiled throughout. Maybe this is because we were on a voucher deal but I suspect not.

The restaurant itself is pleasant enough. We ordered starters, sides and mains and the starters came pretty quickly. My sheek kebab was nice, a bit on the spicy side though and the tandoori mixed kebab was good. The wine was not particularly incidently. The sides arrive on of which was chips (I know but I love chips from an Indian restaurant). What a disappointment, pale flacid FROZEN chips. If paying a couple of quid for a small bowl of chips I at least expect them to be real chips and have never been served frozen in the thousands of Indian meals I have had. The curries arrived and were curiously heated up on a sort of camping stove which I hadnt seen before. None ofthe usual warming trays on the tabe to keep it warm. Both curries (Rogan and Dupiaza) although the meat was fine, were bland. The Rogan seemed to have a slight tikka masala flavour rather than predominantly tomatoe, although there were some in there. The Dupiaza had a curious taste, which I can only describe as cabbage like. We were hungry so we ate what we needed and left. Having looked so forward to it, we left very disappointed with the food, curries in particular.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent take away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Great portions, good service and great price, especially if you go for the Thursday or Sunday night special.
The Sunday special is enough for me and my wife. Would defo recommend it!