“Great for business travel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Newcastle

You added Village Urban Resort Newcastle to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Newcastle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cobalt Business Park | West Allotment, Newcastle upon Tyne NE27 0BY, England   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at the village hotel for a week on business. I had also purchased the 'Upperdeck' upgrade which gave me free access to the fitness facilities, sky in my room, complimentary bottled water and a complimentary Starbucks drink each day.

The rooms are nothing special compared to some other places I have stayed, and it is not significantly cheaper than some city centre hotels.

The location is great if you are travelling for work in the area and Newcastle city centre is about a 20 min drive away (so bring a car if you plan on visiting the city).

The hotel's bar, restaurant and gym facilities are frequented by non-hotel guest so it can be busy at peaks times and noisy in the evenings.

The restaurant closes quite early on a Sunday evening, which was frustrating as I had travelled quite far and there aren't many other options available in the local area.

The staff are really helpful and cheery! The staff in the Starbucks are particularly nice and make for a great conversation in the morning.

Overall my stay was enjoyable, but I wouldn't return unless it was for business in the area.

Tip: The staff in Starbucks love a good music quiz, come prepared with questions!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here on bank holiday Sunday with my boyfriend as a last minute getaway. Hotel located in cobalt business park which is fairly handy but the hotel itself is quite basic. We stayed in a double room with full intention to upgrade once we arrived but they had no upgrades available. The woman on reception wasn't very descriptive when asking if we had stayed here before to which I replied 'no' in hope that she would then elaborate on the hotels facilities/restaurants/info but she didn't much to my disappointment. Found out that we had to pay to use the pool even though we were guests (found this a bit strange). On the way to our room we overheard a man in the lift say that the pool was overrun with children which is exactly what we didn't want so we avoided using it until children's swim times were over. Got to room and fairly average nothing too fancy however the toilet would not flush properly and made a lot of noise for a long time after flushing. We were on the same floor as a few families so was quite noisy especially in morning with children running around and dogs barking. Perhaps they should separate floors to family, pets and couples- would make the noise particularly concentrated to one area rather than all over the hotel. Just a suggestion.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Jason_Dalus, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Newcastle, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear emackenzie1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at Village Urban Resort, Newcastle.

I have passed on your constructive comments to the team for action.

Let me know when you next plan a visit and I will make sure one of our guest relations managers makes your experience memorable.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here a couple of times since my last review due to it being so close to cobalt where my work head office is. I have to say that it is much better than before. The staff are very good, friendly and helpful. I had a problem with my TV and it was sorted out straight away. There is happy hour in the bar from 5-7 which gets very busy, but has a great atmosphere. The bar meals are nice too, I can recommend the pizza flatbreads. I now enjoy my stay when I have to work away. The only downside is the choice of channels on the TV. If this improved I would give it a better rating.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Jason_Dalus, Manager at Village Urban Resort Newcastle, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Topcatcunn,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review regarding the hotel, its staff and the facilities available.

We are currently in the process of reviewing the availability of channels on our TV’s and considering an upgrade to our system over the coming months.

In the mean time why not try an upper deck room which comes with Sky TV along with a host of other benefits.

Let me know next time you are planning to stay and I will make sure one of our guest relations managers makes your experience memorable.

Kind Regards,

England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I paid for a pamper day for my friend and I.
I was disappointed with the facilities in general a and as a result did not spend much time in there. The changing rooms were immaculate but I was very disappointed with the pool area. The spa pool was not very hot and we had to keep sitting out which defeated the object, so we would sit in the tub and then have to sit on the edge which was cool.
The lounge area on the perimeter is looking tired and worn and the water from the water cooler machine was warm.
I did pay for a pamper session for my friend and I. Mine was amazing and I felt invigorated after it - Thanks Lucy, you were brilliant. My friends' pamper session however was a disappointment.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Pauline W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding Viva Urban Spa at Village Newcastle and for the positive feedback, Lucy was delighted when I told her about your comments.

With regard your friends treatment, Ashleigh the Spa Manager would like to discuss this further as so she can investigate. Please e-mail her directly, ashliegh.hurson@village-hotels.com.

Thanks again and I hope to see you back in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed here for one night during by charity boxing event which was taking place in the hotel. Place was spotless. You could tell that a lot of effort was put into keeping it tidy. Rooms were spacious and compfy. Enjoyed a dip in the pool the next day. Would definitely go back and recommend to anyone.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Ian P, Guest Relations Manager at Village Urban Resort Newcastle, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Martin h

Thank you for your 5 star review of Village Urban Resort Newcastle.
We are delighted you had a v.happy stay with us and that you were impressed with the hotel cleanliness and your bedroom.
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited this hotel in April when meeting several couples. We were attracted to this hotel by its 80's night.
We arrived on the Thursday and were shown to our rooms. I unfortunately had broken my leg a few weeks earlier so was either on crutches or in a wheelchair. We had advised the hotel and they had given us room 181 which was a disabled room. The room itself was fantastic. Lots of room in the bedroom and the bathroom was very well designed with lots of handles and drop down bars. It also had a showerseat and a lower shaped sink for wheelchair access. The only problem came when I tried to get to the room on my own and realised this wasn't so easy. Yes, there was a lift near out room but this only took you to the new part of the building so to access reception you would have had to go through the restaurant and it's quirky little booths. So to get from reception I had to get in the lift(not big enough to turn round in) come out, make a left turn, go down a long corridor, then try and push a door which once through you had to make a sharp left turn then a quick right turn, then try and pull the next door open before getting to the room. The last hurdle was getting the large, spring loaded room door open. Whoever decided where this room should be located has never been in a wheelchair. I could not get to my room without help. I was lucky to be with my partner & friends but disabled people do travel on their own. The disabled changing rooms at the pool could have had more bars and handles as well but again I managed with my partners help.
I have to say we had a great time and had no complaints about the hotel, staff, cleanliness, food or leisure facilities, in fact the pool was fantastic.
All in all a really good hotel but they need to sort out their disabled access.

Room Tip: Our friends had rooms at the back and said bad noise from A/C units but we were at the front. And no...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Smhperth

Thank you for taking the time to review Village Urban Resort Newcastle.
Firstly we are v.happy that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff, the cleanliness and our Velocity Health and fitness club.
Thank you for your comments regarding access to your room when using a wheelchair we will discuss your comments as a management team to see where we can improve this. We appreciate any feedback that helps us understand and improve.
Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Leeds Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is in the middle of a business park, the only attraction nearby is a Tesco Express.
We did not have a problem with parking, there is a bigger car park at the rear of the hotel.
Check in was swift and painless, we asked to be put in what looks like an annexe, this was far enough away from the main hotel. I can imagine there might be noise late at night as the hotel does alot of "Tribute Act" party nights and also its not far from party central Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Breakfast was a nice quality everything you could want, my only criticism is that breakfast is served in the hotels restaurant, which to be honest is not big enough and at times there were queues. But the staff managed table allocation very well.
If you can get a good price its worth staying here, but I would not pay full rack rate.

Room Tip: Stay in the annexe, with a room away from the road.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear chrism1966

Thank you for taking the time to review Village Urban Resort Newcastle.
We are pleased that you were checked in quickly and thought breakfast was good quality. Our restaurant allows us to be able to accommodate over 100 guests at a time for breakfast and we are glad that you found the staff managed this very well.
Hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Been to Village Urban Resort Newcastle? Share your experiences!