“The perfect combination - relaxation with atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

You added Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County to your Saves list
Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England   |
Glasgow
“The perfect combination - relaxation with atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and liked it but it's better still, now. Clearly it hasn't moved, so being so close to the train station is still a real plus point. Near to attractions too (LIFE is great) making it easy to see the city without buses and taxis.
Our room wasn't palatial but very clean and more than adequate for the 2 of us.
It appeared that the hotel had had some money spent on a new restaurant and lounge area, which are both nicely contemporary without the "IKEA" look.
I'm not "that good on my feet" but never felt the need to rush around the hotel with the staff being most helpful and patient. A member of the housekeeping staff even helped with a bag to the lift on checkout. It was nice to see that level of helpfulness and service from a department which you might not expect it from.
Checkout was great - invoice all spot on (not always the case in some hotels we've stayed in!) and a cheery smile to send us back to the station.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thistle_CS, Customer Relations Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Thistle Newcastle. I am delighted with your feedback and pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Ok, so this is never going to win any awards for being a great hotel but
- the location is great. Just opposite the central station and within minutes of the shops and nightlife
- room was basic, but I was only there for sleeping. Bed was comfortable. Shower was hot. Room was clean. What more do you need? It did the job.
- I paid a total £75 for two nights which is a great price.
- Don't bother with breakfast. There are plenty of cafes nearby which do better breakfasts cheaper.

I have also stopped in the Royal Station Hotel opposite. They are similar and there's not much to choose between them. Whenever I'm in Newcastle I just stop in whichever is the cheaper.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Last minute booking. Given room 221-very small, no natural light and no ventilation asked for a change and got 434 slightly bigger but again no natural light and sealed windows. Very warm at night and no fresh air so not a good nights sleep. Hotel is in a good location but for the money a Travel Lodge or Premier Lodge would be better value

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Near Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Just returned from spending two nights here. We had a twin room - queen size bed each which is unusual as you tend to only get singles. Very comfortable and spacious room although we had to fight a bit with the windows and one of them didn't close completely. This isn't a problem at this time of year as it was nice to let a bit of air in but could be an issue in the winter.
As I have a blue badge we didn't have to pay for car parking. There is only a small car park at the rear of the building, but to be honest there were rarely more than a few cars in it at the one time.
Breakfast was a buffet which was all fresh. We never had our evening meal in the hotel but the menu looked very varied and if the breakfast was anything to go by I'm sure it would have been excellent.
We were in room 216 which is a disabled room with a huge wet room that you could have held a dance in! Disabled access to the hotel is at the rear and the access throughout is excellent.
Overall we had a great time - would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2009
pontypridd and naizin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Had a 5 night business trip to Newcastle in May and chose this hotel out of a selection available to me, because of the brand name and it's convenient situation. Oh boy, did I get it wrong! First off, either there was no concierge, or he was wearing a cloak of invisibility. Room 416 on the left side of the hotel was adequate but not what I would have expected from the Brand, but I was on business so as long as it was comfortable and clean I could live with the dated decor and odd mix of furniture. What I couldn't live with was the constant noise of passing traffic. Even though my room did not overlook the main road, the secondary double glazing failed to keep out the noise, and resulted in me feeling tired and weary the following day. That morning I advised the receptionist of my plight and even lay a little blame on myself for being a light sleeper. She advised me that the hotel was near to full but she would try to find another room.
Upon my return that evening I discovered they'd moved my luggage to Room 429 which overlooked the back of the hotel car park and a bank of air con units. This didn't worry me in the slightest as I wasn't there for the view. A false sense of security set in. Then I went into the bathroom and recoiled. The toilet porcelain had two long hairline cracks, the bath tiles were ill fitting and very grubby, and wood panelling along the exterior wall had a very wide, long crack in it. I was too tired to complain. At lights out (10pm) I suddenly realised the din that the Air Con units made. Couple this with the intolerable heat of the room and I had a recipe for another broken night's sleep. I finally got off to sleep at around 12.30 or 1am, when the Air Con units stopped...but not for long. I awoke at 3am in a bath of sweat and I was so parched I had to get up for water. I lay stark naked on the bed and drifted back off, only to be dragged from my sleep at around 5am by the infernal noise of the Air Con units that spluttered back to life. Dragging myself out of bed again for a drink, I decided to take a cool shower in my grubby little bathroom.
At reception that morning before I left for a meeting I was asked how I'd slept, but for some reason the girl on reception completely ignored my quiet statement of facts. She seemed to have other things on her mind and after my explanation, she just uttered "OK". Perhaps she was fascinated by my very good impression of a man's attempt at breaking the world record for staying awake. I trudged wearily to the metro in a trance.
My life took on a dreamlike quality and I think I began to lose the ability to understand the English language. I felt as if I'd been placed in a foreign land and although I could understand the native tongue, it took a while to decipher. I'm sure you've been there yourself at one time or another. The following morning, following a night in my "noisy sauna", I ventured for breakfast. Either the portly chef had a strange face or I was hallucinating. He had a habit of poking out his tongue and extending his lower jaw, when concentrating. I watched in morbid fascination. Now, to the food. It was 7.05am (I'm an early bird, as you've gathered by now), but already the bacon resembled leather soles and the eggs were "rubbery". Or did they? Had I, in my stupor, inadvertently walked into an early morning cobblers and was observing his wears? Back to reality. That evening I decided to express myself with the pen, and composed a letter to the manager. The following evening there was a reply on my mismatched bureau, apologising for the state of the room which was in the process of being refurbished (so why let guests stay in it?) and steps had been taken to remedy the lousy food. Not that I had any intention of eating anything cooked by "Chef Gurner". It was continental breakfast for me from now on, yes Sir! His letter included an offer of another room, should I wish to visit the Reception desk, but at 9pm I just did not have the wherewithal to move. The manager and I became pen-pals and I wrote another letter the following evening, informing him that I was leaving at 12 noon the following day and one more night in purgatory would make little difference to my overall condition. I now resembled an inmate in the "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" mental institution. Would I recommend this hotel? Hell would freeze over first. I have ensured that my office involved in corporate bookings are well aware of my stay and my recommendation not to book further rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Now known as the County Thistle, this hotel is situated right across the road from Newcastle Main Station and 5 mins walk from the City Centre.We were at the hotel for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms we had were a little small but, apart from that, the hotel was very good with smart decor etc. Also had a meal in the hotel on the first evening and it was really enjoyable with an upmarket menu. A typical three course will cost you around £25 per person and is well worth it in my opinion.
If I was returning to Newcastle, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Thistle again.
As for the city, it was OK but I don't know how all those pubs manage to make a profit but they are very busy so I suppose they do.
Overall, a pleasant stay but I'd have to have a good reason for going back to the city because I didn't find it had an awful lot to offer compared to other cities I've visited but OK nevertheless.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Far from it all
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I spent 2 nights at the Thistle in Newcastle, in a single room. I changed rooms after the first night because the first room was, quite frankly, unacceptable. It did not meet even the bare minimum of what I would except from the most budget of hotels (and I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons: I stay at a lot of budget Ibis hotels and Holiday Inn Express).

The window was tiny-- and I used to live in a small apartment in NYC, so I know what tiny windows on airshafts are like!--, incredibly dark, oddly shaped, and all around awful. When I got up the next morning, I assumed it was rainy (as it had been the previous day) because it was so dark int he room, but it was actually a beautiful day. It was also near the elevator, so it was quite loud with traffic from other guests late at night, and since the bed was next to the door, I heard everything. The bathroom was poorly designed. It had a towel warmer, but it was uncomfortably close to the sink and I'm surprised I didn't actually burn myself.

I asked for a different room the next morning, which I should have done at the check-in. It was a world of difference: a proper window, bright and airy. In this room, the TV was tiny (the bad room had a large TV next to the bed; this room had a tiny TV against the window). It had a huge bathroom. It was still on the small side-- there was a small desk, and if the chair was pulled out, you couldn't open the armoire, which blocked the TV, but it still was a tremendous improvement over the first room.

To its credit, when I asked to change rooms, the staff was very helpful and accommodating. But, I doubt I will stay at a Thistle hotel again based on the really awful state of the first room as I am skeptical of a chain that would have rooms of such low quality.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County? Share your experiences!