I was booked into a double room. When I arrived I waited for the person in front of me to check in, he left and as I advanced to the desk I was told to wait. Hello madam, welcome would have been nice. Still it was nothing personal as the same thing happened to the man waiting behind me.
So I was told that I had been allocated a small double with a strange emphasis on the word small. When I got to the room, I was instantly taken back to my student days. Old, mismatched furniture and fittings, a 1980s carpet which hadn't really been vacuumed, a sash window that would neither shut nor open, a radiator that did not work. But the best bit was that it was tiny and the so called double bed was at best a wide single - pushed against the wall.
It was late so I located the kettle, three tea bags, three sugar sachets, four coffee sachets and one biscuit. Then I tried to hunt down the hair dryer - there wasn't one. I did get one brought up to the room.
The 0645 wake up call never came but fortunately I had set an alarm as a back up.
I will never stay at this hotel again. It has got two stars because breakfast was adequate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail and Bus Station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is now a modern hotel. The County Hotel by Thistle, located in the heart of Newcastle city centre, is just minutes from restaurants, bars and theatres as well as the Quayside area. St James' Park, home of Newcastle United FC, is a 10-minute walk away. The Metro Radio Arena, O2 Academy and Sage Gateshead are located within walking distance of the hotel. With a flat-screen satellite TV, an in-room safe and tea and coffee making facilities, the rooms also have 24-hour room service available. Private bathrooms each feature an over bath shower and a hairdryer and ironing facilities are available. Rendez Vous Restaurant provides a range of British and international cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients. The relaxed lounge bar shows sports on large LCD TVs. The County features 11 meeting and event rooms - suitable for a 1:1 meeting or a conference for up to 220 delegates. All rooms have natural daylight, air conditioning and come equipped with all of the equipment needed for a perfect meeting. Weddings, formal dinners and family celebrations are a speciality of the hotel.The hotel offers complimentary off-site gym facilities within walking distance. Limited car parking for 19 vehicles is also available at a small daily charge. Wi-fi is also available throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne