“Oh my goodness - do not accept a "small double"” 2 of 5 stars

You added Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County to your Saves list
Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England   |
UK
“Oh my goodness - do not accept a "small double"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was booked into a double room. When I arrived I waited for the person in front of me to check in, he left and as I advanced to the desk I was told to wait. Hello madam, welcome would have been nice. Still it was nothing personal as the same thing happened to the man waiting behind me.

So I was told that I had been allocated a small double with a strange emphasis on the word small. When I got to the room, I was instantly taken back to my student days. Old, mismatched furniture and fittings, a 1980s carpet which hadn't really been vacuumed, a sash window that would neither shut nor open, a radiator that did not work. But the best bit was that it was tiny and the so called double bed was at best a wide single - pushed against the wall.

It was late so I located the kettle, three tea bags, three sugar sachets, four coffee sachets and one biscuit. Then I tried to hunt down the hair dryer - there wasn't one. I did get one brought up to the room.

The 0645 wake up call never came but fortunately I had set an alarm as a back up.

I will never stay at this hotel again. It has got two stars because breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: If you have paid for a double do not under any circumstance accept a small double. Get a room at lea...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us in Thistle Newcastle, The County.

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us, especially when learning that you were not happy with the service received on check in. We have a passion for delivering excellent customer service which we regularly receive excellent feedback about and can be seen from previous reviews.

I was sorry to note that you were unhappy with your room. Thank you for taking time to provide me with your reservation details so that I had the opportunity to investigate. I can see from your booking that you had reserved one of our small double rooms. Our small double rooms are described as such because they only have a 4ft bed as opposed to our standard double rooms containing a bed which is 4ft 6. This is detailed on our web site with images of the room type. There may be upgrades available on request by contacting our Reception team during your stay or enquiring on check in. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our team direct who would be more than happy to discuss your requirements and make recommendations to best suit your needs.

The County is a Grade 2 listed building and still has many of the original features, including the sash windows. We appreciate these can be heavy and therefore awkward to open. There is Guest Relations Manager available 24 hours a day to assist with this and any other requests relating to your room. The team are on hand to make your stay an enjoyable one and we are always more than happy to help.

Our wake up calls are delivered through our telephone system automatically and I can see from your reservation that this has been entered. I would like to apologise that you did not receive it and will look into this as a matter of urgency.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us next time you visit Newcastle. Please contact our hotel team direct who will help to tailor your stay to best meet your needs.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend as we were going to a party in Newcastle and wanted somewhere cheap but cheerful to stay. We paid around £63, this was for a standard double room as I was concerned that the bed in a small double might not be big enough. The bed was really large in our room so that was fine - it was really comfortable too. The room itself was quite small and basic but fair for what we'd paid for a hotel in such a good location - it had hairdryer, dressing table, lamp, free wi-fi etc. The room was a bit cold and there was a problem closing the window but we didn't complain as we literally only got ready in the room, slept there and then left the next morning. Our room was facing central station but we didn't notice the noise too much (we didn't get into the room until after 3am though and after a lot of drinks we didn't have any problems falling asleep!). The bathroom was small and quite average.The staff were really friendly. We didn't use any facilities or east in the restaurant. I'd probably stay here again if I wanted a city centre hotel at a low cost, but not if I wanted something more luxurious - we thought it was a good base for a night out so would be perfect for hen / stag parties etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a standard double, not a small double, if you're a couple as the bed is much bigger!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be comfortable and our location to be convenient. I have noted from your feedback that you may not choose to stay with us should you be looking for something more luxurious. At The County, we also offer Executive rooms and a Junior Suite. The rooms are larger than our standard double rooms and offer added extras for when you are looking for a touch of luxury. Please contact us direct for more information on these rooms.

I was sorry to learn that you found the room to be cold. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Manager who is available 24 hours a day to assist with any such issues.

I was pleased to note that you found our team to be helpful and friendly. This is always great to hear and I am sure they will be delighted to read your comments.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Burnley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed here before, on behalf of work, and always come away saying "never again"!

I should have know what was coming when the receptionist used the phrase "small double" - well he'll never have trading standards on his back!

The room was indeed a small room with a double bed!! So here goes:-

Negatives:-
Room was tiny;
Double bed could only fit in by being pushed up against the wall;
Radiator and heating stuck on maximum - very very warm in a very small room;
The creakiest floorboards I've ever heard - other than on cheap horror movies;
No where to comfortably eat your room service other than on your bed!

Positives:-
The biggest tv ever for the size of the room;
Very friendly staff;
A quick check out!

Needless to say - I will be staying at Jury's next time which is five minutes away!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not happy with your room during your stay with us. Here at The County, we have a variety of room types available. Our small doubles rooms are as described and are ideal for single travellers or as a base whilst exploring the city. The rooms are compact and cosy and offer a 4ft bed in comparison to our standard double rooms with the standard 4ft6 bed. Many people prefer our executive rooms for the added space and original features. They allow you to add a touch of luxury to your stay, without compromising on value. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact our Reception team who would be more than happy to discuss your requirements and make recommendations for a room to best suit your needs.

On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of our team. The team here work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time at The County and make the most of their stay. Please be assured, your kind comments will be passed on to the team.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you are in Newcastle.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of 7 work colleagues and was very satisfied with the overall experience. However the booking process itself was a bit of a nightmare, because this hotel seems to use a separate booking centre, rather than dealing with enquiries directly. It took about 15 minutes to make the bookings and, despite two requests, I never received the promised e-mail confirmation (no, it wasn't in the junk mailbox).

However, experience at the hotel itself was much more positive with friendly staff, comfortable rooms and a good breakfast. Facilities for luggage storage and car parking were very useful to our group.

Suggestions for improvement: make the lift run faster (the stairs are quicker!), help the reception staff by providing an efficient computer system, quote an 0191 phone number on the hotel website.

Room Tip: As it faces Newcastle Central Station across a busy road, rooms at the front can be subject to traff...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not happy with the booking process. This does not reflect our usual standard and I was very surprised to read this. Please feel free to contact the hotel direct should you experience any such issues in the future. The team here at The County would be more than happy to help.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our friendly staff, comfortable rooms and breakfast offering. We regularly receive excellent feedback and this is always good to hear.

Our luggage storage facilities always come in very handy for our guests. Whether you arrive early or want to do a spot of shopping before heading home, we are more than happy to store your luggage at Reception.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Thistle Newcastle, The County in the near future.

Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I recently stayed at The County for one night while visiting Newcastle with work. This hotel is in a great location to access Newcastle, located opposite the train station with Metro access to all routes.

We arrived in the morning and the reception staff were very friendly and accommodating, allowing us to leave our luggage with them throughout the day until we returned at night when we officially checked in. On checking in, I was booked into a small double room (228) on the second floor. However, when I arrived at my room, my key card did not appear to be activated. I went back down to reception and the staff were again very helpful and accommodating in helpful me access my room.

The small double rooms at The County are ideal for single travellers but I would not recommend one of these rooms for a couple. It was relatively small but cosy with a 3/4-sized bed, flat screen tv with a good selection of channels and all the usual hotel room amenities. The bathroom was also rather small but was clean with an ample supply of towels.

The major downside to this room was what I found on the pillow when I arrived...two sets of earplugs which I could only presume was to prepare me for the room being a little louder than I would like at night and I was correct. As my room was located facing Grainger Street, there was rather a lot of outside noise from traffic until around 11/11.30pm at night. As I was only staying for one night, this wasn't a massive issue but I can imagine this would be annoying if you were staying for a longer period.

We had dinner and breakfast in The County and I could not fault the food during either service. The menu in the evening had a good choice of dishes at reasonable prices, however the drinks menu was slightly more expensive than I would have liked for a very selective menu. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was excellent with a good choice of both continental and cooked options.

All in all, The County was sufficient for my stay and fit for purpose, The only thing which would have made it better would have been a quieter room at night.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room facing Grainger Street or perhaps request a room on an upper floor if you like a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read that you found our location to be convenient and staff to be friendly and helpful. We regularly receive excellent feedback about this and it is always great to hear. The staff here at The County work very hard to ensure our guests receive the best possible service at all times and I am sure they will be happy to read your kind comments.

Thank you for your honest description of your room. Our small double rooms are advertised as such and are as you say, perfect for single travellers. They make an ideal base for exploring the city and I was pleased to note you found the room to be well equipped and clean.

Our city centre location has many advantages however external noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it. At The County, we do provide ear plugs as we recognise that although our windows have secondary glazing, this can still cause a disturbance should you be a light sleeper. We do have a range of rooms facing our courtyard car park which may be available on request.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to our restaurant. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed dining with us both for dinner and breakfast during your stay.

leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed at The County last night and we weren't impressed. The room was cramped, incredibly hot and the windows wouldn't open. We went out for dinner and came back to the hotel and decided to have a drink in the hotel bar. I ordered a bottle of Newcastle brown and a large class of white wine. We were charged £12.95. TWELVE POUNDS NINETY FIVE PENCE???????? I know that you pay a little more in a hotel bar but this is day light robbery. We checked the menu and we hadn't been short changed. We had been ripped off.
We had a terrible nights sleep due to noise from outside and the heat and uncomfortable bed.
In the morning we fancied some breakfast but declined due to the cost. £14.95 for a breakfast???? No thank you. I am in no way a skin flint. I am not tight and I am not a penny pincher but I know when I'm having my pants pulled down. Thank you for ruining the first night we have had away in three years.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us. We have several different room types at The County, ranging from compact and cosy small double rooms to the large and lofty Executive rooms. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact us direct and our team here would be more than happy to discuss the room types available and make recommendations to best suit your requirements.

I was sorry to read that you were unable to open your window. The County is a Grade 2 listed building therefore many of the original features are still present, including the sash windows. These windows are heavy and can be awkward to open; however, our Guest Relations Manager is available to help with any such requests 24 hours a day. Should they have been made aware of your problem, I am confident they would have rectified this immediately.

I am sorry that you feel the drinks you ordered were expensive. Please be assured, there are many other alternatives available which offer excellent value for money.

Breakfast can be purchased at Reception on check in or added to your reservation at the booking stage for £10.00 per person. We feel our extensive breakfast offering provides excellent value for money. Our buffet breakfast offers unlimited amounts of both hot and cold options as well as hot drinks or breakfast juice of your choice. We often receive excellent feedback about our breakfast and I am confident there is something for everyone.

Once again, I am sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay and thank you for your feedback. I do hope that next time you are in Newcastle you will contact us direct. We would be more than happy to help tailor your stay to best meet your needs.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to find out the hotel has overbooked there double rooms. They had our booking down as 1 person rather than 2 so they had automatically changed the room type to a 'small double' room. When showing the receptionist our booking confirmation with 2 people on our booking she advised us to sit in the bar with a free drink while they attempted to rectify the situation. No option but to stay in a small double for the first night (Friday) and she would move us into a double room (the room type what we had booked for 2 nights) for the Saturday night. Provided with a bottle of wine in our room to apologise for the overbooking. Overall this situation was handled very professionally by the duty manager Claire who treated us like VIP's for the duration of our stay. Wouldn't recommend a small double for 2 people with the term 'cosy' springing to mind. Only criticism is the water pressure - showers very slow! Excellent location, fantastic staff who are a real asset to the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, Guest Relations Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to apologise for the confusion with your booking. Unfortunately I can not comment on your individual booking as I do not have all of the details however, I would like to assure you that we do not amend bookings dependant on the number of guests in the room. We always make every effort to ensure our guests get the room type they have reserved at the booking stage and I was very surprised to read that this did not happen with your booking. On the rare occasion we would have to make amendments to a booking, we would always contact the guest direct prior to arrival. Once again, please accept my apologies.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to read that you found our Guest Relation Manager to be courteous and efficient when dealing with the problem and that you were more than happy with the service you received from the team. I would like to thank you for your feedback on this and assure you that your comments will be passed on to the team and indeed Claire, who I am sure will be delighted to read them.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County? Share your experiences!