“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England   |
kinross
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights B.B. booked through easybreaks and have to say excellent value.
On arrival was met at reception with very friendly and helpfull staff. Room was very clean and great comfy bed. Food excellent and freshly made to order, all staff very polite and friendly. Great location for centre of Newcastle. Will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, the County.

I was really pleased to note that you had an enjoyable time at the hotel and you approved of the facilities, the location and the high level of service received.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County should you return to Newcastle.

Steven Devine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Having booked here for a trip away I was pleasantly surprised at the amazing location of this hotel.

Upon entry the hall and reception areas are bright, clean and modern. The receptionist was friendly and asked if we needed any help.

When we got into the room it was very old fashioned. Old curtains, dated, small bathroom and decor was just old compared to the lobby and restaurant areas of the hotel. The room however was very spacious and the bed was huge and comfortable. Everything was spotless you couldn't fault that.

I think they just maybe need to consider updating the rooms and making it more of a modern twist to keep to the feel of the old fashioned hotel.

We were £100 for 2 nights and because we didn't have to pay for any transport it was a very cheap stay. The gate and the shopping centres are literally a 5-10 minute walk up the hill with some lovely little pubs along the way.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was very pleased to note that you found the public areas to be bright clean and modern. We are currently in the process of improving our bedrooms including new carpets, new bed throws and shower curtains to compliment the chairs and curtains which were recently added. I am sorry that the room did not live up to your expectations, but pleased to note that you found it to be clean and spacious.

Being opposite the rail station is a huge benefit including not having to pay for onward travel once you arrive in Newcastle - as well as an extra 10 minutes in bed before leaving for home!

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I have just enjoyed sunday lunch today with a group of 7 friends. We bought the lunch on a living social deal. The 3 courses we had were really delicious. All starters were tasty. In our group were two girls over from Greece and we wanted them to taste local foods. So we recommended they try the beef with yorkshire puddings. Although they were tiny puds, the lunch itself didnt disappoint. If only it could have been a little hotter. Deserts were lovely. All meals were served by staff wearing white gloves, and a lovely pianist playing background music added to that personal touch. The only gripe was the room was a little cold. Overall excellent value for money, and i would even pay the full price if i went again

• Stayed April 2013
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to our Hotel for Sunday Lunch.

I was delighted to learn that you had a very enjoyable experience.

Sunday lunch has proved to be very popular and our chef takes pride in ensuring we offer a traditional menu including homemade crisp Yorkshire puddings ,roast beef with gravy made from the roasting stock, traditional pot pies and so on. This menu is in keeping with the magnificent surroundings of our Mozart Suite, with original wood panelling and large bay windows overlooking Central Station and complimented by gentle background music from the pianist. Due to the popularity of our Sunday lunch, we do recommend that you reserve a table in advance by telephoning the hotel. The team will be more than happy to assist you with your reservation.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County Hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights B&B using best available rate - £268. Overpriced for what's on offer, the quality of the rooms and we wouldn't return.

On entry to the hotel it is lovely with beautiful décor and an expectation of good things to come. Sadly, on entering our room - my bubble was burst. The room was small, the bathroom very small, dated and grubby. The WC was on an angle and you couldn't even sit with your legs in front - you had to sit sideways. The complimentary tea tray was also dirty.

I went back to Reception and asked if another double room was available. The Receptionist was very nice and immediately looked at her PC and allocated me another room, but she didn't even ask why I wanted to change rooms!! Thankfully I checked out this room before giving my keys back and to my surprise, this was worse than the first, so we actually opted to keep the original room. I handed the keys back advising I would stick with the first room as I thought the second one was worse and she simply said "sorry about that".

Although the room has what you need - TV, hairdryer, iron and board etc, for us there was no sense of warmth or comfort about it and certainly lacking any feel of luxury. I do appreciate it is an old building but good cleaning in rooms is paramount.

To pay £134 a night and not have free wifi; even in the public areas, I think is poor. People visiting the city do want to google things to do, book tickets etc. There is a PC in the reception area but that's not the point.

On the plus side - staff were nice, the breakfast was good and location is excellent. Not enough to make us return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel, Newcastle.

I was very sorry to learn of your disappointment.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our rooms do vary in size and shape from the large Executive rooms to the compact and cosy Small Double rooms. The en suite bathrooms were added at a much later stage and were designed making best use of space. I was sorry to learn that you found cause to comment on the cleanliness of the room. As you can see from previous reviews, the cleanliness of the Hotel is usually rated very high. I am confident that if you had brought your concerns to the Duty Manager at the time, they would have tried their hardest to rectify them so that you could enjoy the remainder of your stay with us. Please be assured that I will personally observe the cleaning standards going forward.

Although Wi-Fi is chargeable at present, we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi as part of our loyalty scheme, Signature. Details of this offer are available at reception or on line.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to note that you found the team to be friendly, the breakfast was good and the location was excellent.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any shortfalls during your stay and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed for a Saturday night even in Newcastle centre. It was the great location that made me choose this hotel, directly across from the central rail station, although it was a bit pricey I think. Parking is possible at the station for about £15 a day. Room was clean, double bed was huge and comfortable. Bathroom was massive, shower was hot and plenty of height for a big chap like myself. Water pressure was adequate but nothing special. Sure the elevator had some kebab sauce on the buttons, but this is Newcastle!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel, Newcastle.

I was really pleased that you approved of the central location of the Hotel - being directly opposite the Central Station is a great advantage.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and the facilities in the room and bathroom. I am pleased that you found them to be as expected.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you have an overnight visit to Newcastle.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our last stay at this hotel was in all ways good, however this time was almost as bad as our first experience here.
Once again we asked for a quiet room which was booked well in advance. We were given a tiny room (big enough for the bed, just) with a very small bath and bathroom which was in all honesty a bit "grubby". The evening stay was very noisy indeed, as I understand, the best rooms were allocated to a "big group".The male staff on the desk gave this info.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel, Newcastle.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our bedrooms vary in size from the large and lofty executive rooms to the compact and cosy small double rooms. Our bedrooms are not as uniformed as the new builds of today and have been graded accordingly with the bed size that suits the room - some of our standard double rooms have king size beds, where others have standard size, depending on the space available. Unfortunately I am unsure of the room type you reserved so I am unable to comment on your specific room but please be assured that we allocate the room type as originally reserved by our guests and we never down grade room types.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by external noise. The central location of our hotel has many advantages such as no onward taxi fares and being in the heart of the entertainment area, however external noise can sometimes be a nuisance. We have recently had our secondary double glazing upgraded, but as we are a listed building we have to maintain the original sash windows. Unfortunately this means that the noise reduction will never be as good as it is from a sealed unit.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to Newcastle.

Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Probably the room you are getting makes huge different. Our was so bad that I would not go back any more. Old smell and decor, uncomfortable bed, dark room, dated bathroom without anything juts rusty bin. My biggest problem was the awful dirty elevator. However the reception staff was nice and we liked the breakfast. Altogether, no, I am so sorry but NO.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was very sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our bedrooms vary in size from the large and lofty executive rooms to the compact and cosy small double rooms. Our bedrooms are not as uniformed as the new builds of today and have been graded accordingly with the bed size that suits the room - some of our standard double rooms have king size beds, where others have standard size, depending on the space available. Unfortunately I am unsure of the room type you reserved so I am unable to comment on your specific room but please be assured that we allocate the room type as originally reserved by our guests.

I am sorry that you did not bring your concerns to the attention of the Duty Manager at the time of your stay - I am confident if they had been made aware of your dissatisfaction they would have tried their very best to ensure you had an enjoyable stay with us. On a more positive note I was pleased to note that you enjoyed breakfast and found the team to be friendly.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again should you return to the UK.

Steven Devine

Been to Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County? Share your experiences!