Stayed two nights here for a family wedding. The location is great for those arriving by train, and the hotel has many pluses. The public areas are very well maintained, the decor is good, with period features preserved. Staff were all friendly and efficient. Our room was large and welcoming. Very comfortable bed, large well-equipped bathroom.- including bath robes (though not the slippers mentioned). Nice touches like bottled water and chocolates.
We had dinner one night in the hotel, which was good and not over-priced - in contrast to the bar with its eye-watering prices.... Breakfast is fine - choice of English or continental, or I suppose given that it's a buffet, both!
The 'but' is only partly the hotel's fault. Newcastle at weekends isn't quiet, and this is a city-centre location. The double-glazing in our room was pretty good at keeping noise out, but with the window closed the room became very hot and stuffy. More troublesome was the noise inside the hotel. Fellow guests returning were very noisy, slamming doors, calling to other rooms etc - and this at intervals until nearly 5 a.m.
One query - we booked months in advance and could only stay for two nights at a weekend, not one. I wonder if this applies to everyone? Given its good points, we probably would stay here again, just not over a weekend.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail and Bus Station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is now a modern hotel. The County Hotel by Thistle, located in the heart of Newcastle city centre, is just minutes from restaurants, bars and theatres as well as the Quayside area. St James' Park, home of Newcastle United FC, is a 10-minute walk away. The Metro Radio Arena, O2 Academy and Sage Gateshead are located within walking distance of the hotel. With a flat-screen satellite TV, an in-room safe and tea and coffee making facilities, the rooms also have 24-hour room service available. Private bathrooms each feature an over bath shower and a hairdryer and ironing facilities are available. Rendez Vous Restaurant provides a range of British and international cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients. The relaxed lounge bar shows sports on large LCD TVs. The County features 11 meeting and event rooms - suitable for a 1:1 meeting or a conference for up to 220 delegates. All rooms have natural daylight, air conditioning and come equipped with all of the equipment needed for a perfect meeting. Weddings, formal dinners and family celebrations are a speciality of the hotel.The hotel offers complimentary off-site gym facilities within walking distance. Limited car parking for 19 vehicles is also available at a small daily charge. Wi-fi is also available throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotel.de, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne