Stayed for 3 nights as I was in the area on business. The check in was seamless and the reception staff most helpful and courteous. I asked for directions to the Eldon Square shopping centre and was given a map with the receptionist circling my destination and telling me what route to take.
The room, whilst bijou, was clean and tidy with a small but fully functional bathroom with a plentiful supply of towels and toiletries. A flat screen, wall mounted tv was in the room and a supply of tea and coffee things with biscuits was in a side cabinet. The bed was comfy and spare pillows were available. All in all very comfortable and pleasant. One thing to note; I was in a front bedroom which was right opposite the railway station, many bus stops and a taxi rank. Whilst expecting to request a room exchange after the first night I can confirm that the secondary double glazing works a treat!!
I ate for 2 nights in the hotel restaurant. First night I had the burger and although it was well cooked and presented with fries and tomato sauce, it was nothing special. Second night I went for the fish and chips - wow! The fish was extremely fresh, well cooked and the batter was light and delightful with great chips. There was also mushy peas and tartare sauce.
Breakfast on both days was excellent. There is a chef on hand to freshly prepare omelettes and poached eggs and he is constantly replenishing the hot buffet. The cold tables are also well stocked. Toasted is freshly prepared and brought to your table.
Overall I had a very good stay and would most definitely stay again. Just one little "niggle" - I found the restaurant draughty if you sat at the back, furthest away from the kitchen area. But it was no big deal to change tables.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail and Bus Station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is now a modern hotel. The County Hotel by Thistle, located in the heart of Newcastle city centre, is just minutes from restaurants, bars and theatres as well as the Quayside area. St James' Park, home of Newcastle United FC, is a 10-minute walk away. The Metro Radio Arena, O2 Academy and Sage Gateshead are located within walking distance of the hotel. With a flat-screen satellite TV, an in-room safe and tea and coffee making facilities, the rooms also have 24-hour room service available. Private bathrooms each feature an over bath shower and a hairdryer and ironing facilities are available. Rendez Vous Restaurant provides a range of British and international cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients. The relaxed lounge bar shows sports on large LCD TVs. The County features 11 meeting and event rooms - suitable for a 1:1 meeting or a conference for up to 220 delegates. All rooms have natural daylight, air conditioning and come equipped with all of the equipment needed for a perfect meeting. Weddings, formal dinners and family celebrations are a speciality of the hotel.The hotel offers complimentary off-site gym facilities within walking distance. Limited car parking for 19 vehicles is also available at a small daily charge. Wi-fi is also available throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne