“Visited for business” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The County Hotel

You added The County Hotel to your Saves list
The County Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England (Formerly Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County)   |
York, United Kingdom
“Visited for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights as I was in the area on business. The check in was seamless and the reception staff most helpful and courteous. I asked for directions to the Eldon Square shopping centre and was given a map with the receptionist circling my destination and telling me what route to take.

The room, whilst bijou, was clean and tidy with a small but fully functional bathroom with a plentiful supply of towels and toiletries. A flat screen, wall mounted tv was in the room and a supply of tea and coffee things with biscuits was in a side cabinet. The bed was comfy and spare pillows were available. All in all very comfortable and pleasant. One thing to note; I was in a front bedroom which was right opposite the railway station, many bus stops and a taxi rank. Whilst expecting to request a room exchange after the first night I can confirm that the secondary double glazing works a treat!!

I ate for 2 nights in the hotel restaurant. First night I had the burger and although it was well cooked and presented with fries and tomato sauce, it was nothing special. Second night I went for the fish and chips - wow! The fish was extremely fresh, well cooked and the batter was light and delightful with great chips. There was also mushy peas and tartare sauce.

Breakfast on both days was excellent. There is a chef on hand to freshly prepare omelettes and poached eggs and he is constantly replenishing the hot buffet. The cold tables are also well stocked. Toasted is freshly prepared and brought to your table.

Overall I had a very good stay and would most definitely stay again. Just one little "niggle" - I found the restaurant draughty if you sat at the back, furthest away from the kitchen area. But it was no big deal to change tables.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for providing such a detailed review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your 3 night stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the reception team, and the food at both breakfast and dinner. Both teams will be really pleased to learn of your feedback.

I am also very pleased to note that you found your bedroom and bathroom to be clean and well stocked with towels, toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits. I can confirm that we are currently in the process of refurbishing our original sash windows and secondary glazing. I am delighted that you found it to be satisfactory.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will do so again should you return to Newcastle in the future.

Steven Devine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location for a trip to Newcastle, opposite central station, very close to main shops etc and close to the metro arena. We very much enjoyed our stay, a great breakfast and excellent evening meal...super menu .Lovely,friendly atmospere in modern lounge, bar and restaurant.Bedrooms basic but comfortable and clean. All hotel staff were so friendly and helpful ,we felt relaxed and very welcome.
Excellent value for money.will definitely return... Thank you County hotel.!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide the Tripadvisor community with a review following your recent stay with us.

I have to agree with you regarding our location as we are in the very heart of the city - ideal for shopping, taking in a concert or sightseeing. It is second to none in the city.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food at both dinner and breakfast, the cleanliness and comfort of the building and the relaxed friendly service you received. I am delighted that the team looked after you and made sure you had a memorable stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The County Hotel opposite the Central Station is ideally situated for both business and pleasure in Newcastle - Friendly and helpful staff, excellent breakfast and comfortable rooms at a sensible price what more could you ask for? I would try to get a room at the rear of tghe hotel as some noise does permeate from the busy road outside the Central Station - this did not disturb my night but light sleepers may be troubled especially at weekends when the taxi ranks are busy - that siad it's a great place to stay and enjoy a great city.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel & away from the lifts:)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased to read your positive feedback. Thank you for your kind comments, particularly those relating to the excellent breakfast, comfortable rooms and the friendly and helpful staff. The team were really pleased to learn that they were able to play a part in your experience of Newcastle.

We do have a selection of rooms which overlook the courtyard car park and are usually quieter. These rooms can be requested at the reservation stage (subject to availability). We are also in the process of upgrading our sash windows and secondary double glazing which should also be a benefit for future guests.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County when you return to Newcastle.

Hitchin, Herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a work trip. Literally across the road from the station with a Metro station entrance next door, so very convenient for getting around. Also easy walking distance to the town centre (Eldon Square) and Quayside.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and they provided a very useful paper map of the city centre, including restaurant recommendations.
The room was very clean and comfortable but the paintwork could do with a refresh and the bathroom window screen was a bit loose. There was also no towel rail in the bathroom.
Disappointed that wi-fi wasn't freely available in the rooms.
The hotel also advertises use of a 'nearby' fitness centre. It actually was a 10min walk away and not very easy to find (located in the 'Lifestyle Centre' at Newcastle College). However, it was well-equipped and welcoming when I actually got there!
I would say that this hotel is adequate for one night on business but I probably would try somewhere else for a leisure visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was pleased to note that you approved of our central location - being directly across the road from the train and metro station has so many advantages! I was also pleased to learn that you found the team to be friendly and helpful and that your room was clean and comfortable.

We have recently upgraded our Wi-Fi coverage and bandwidth throughout the hotel and as part of our Signature loyalty programme, our guests can receive instant access to Wi-Fi on completion of a simple registration form at the front desk. I am sorry that this was not explained to you at the time.

I am pleased that you made use of the complimentary facilities at the Lifestyle Academy at Newcastle College. We decided upon using this facility for our guests due to its proximity to our hotel and it was also an opportunity for us to give a little back to the local community by supporting the college and provide students with guests to interact with and gain real life experience to assist them preparing for their career.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Gosport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was booked by work but if I had to choose this hotel wouldn't be at the top of my list. Parking is really bad. You don't get to reserve your car space so if there isn't one then your stuck. Plus you have to pay an extra £10 a day. Staff very friendly and rooms very clean. Didn't enjoy breakfast at all. A member of staff greeted me to check what room I was in but all my other friends had staff ask them for tea and coffee and toast where I had to go out of my way to get these. On the second day of my stay the breakfast was awful. The fried eggs smelt off and really ruined my meal. Apart from that it was a very basic stay.

Room Tip: If you bring a car make sure you leave it in the car park for the whole stay. Hotel in a good locati...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience as much we would have expected you to have done.

As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, there was no need for parking at hotels at that time, therefore we have to make the most of the space available to us. We have 19 spaces which are on a first come first served basis and they are charged at £10 per 24 hours, which is in line, if not better value than our competitors. Should the car park be full, there are several options for parking nearby and the reception team are more than happy to help with directions and information as well as to hold your baggage until you return. There is a loading bay at the front of the hotel which can be used for a short time while the reception team provide you with directions. Most of our guests choose to travel by train as the station is literally across the road from our hotel.

I am sorry that breakfast was not to your personal taste. You will note from recent reviews that our breakfast food and service is usually praised by our guests. Earlier this week we had an unannounced overnight visit from the AA inspector and he spoke highly with regards to the breakfast food and service - this helped increase our merit score to 3 star 82%. I can confirm that all of our food is delivered fresh daily from reputable suppliers. I am confident that if you had brought any of your concerns to our Duty Manager they would have been more than happy to assist rectifying them for you.

I am pleased to note that you found the bedrooms to be clean and the staff friendly.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am reviewing "Thistle" the County hotel. Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail, Bus Station and Metro station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is hotel. It offers a restaurant, with lively night life just 100 meters away. Room rates were reasonable but i went for a large double room as opposed to a small single room as i wanted a good nights sleep on a bigger bed, and I did get a good night sleep. Rates differ depending on which room choice you are making.

The room was basic no frills. No refrigerator available in the room. There is also no safe. The bathroom is basic and provides just enough facilities to ensure a good "scrub" up before venturing out. You really dont need much more from a room, really!
I spent a few hours in the spacious downstairs bar working on my laptop. i was able to leave my work and drinks and stand in the street outside to have a cigarette in full view of my belongings. The big windows on the street level meant you could watch your drink while having a cigarette - Handy if you are traveling solo - get a seat by the window though.

Breakfast featured a nice selection.
I spotted and walked towards what to my surprise looked like a live cooking station and i though, wow, Newcastle is catching on. It turned out to be a just chef's cubicle for making sandwiches? I tried to find out what the station was for but when i asked, was asked firmly to take a seat "Sir" and we will come to you in a minute. So i cannot tell you if the facility has a live cooking station or not.
I have added some pictures to this review.
A picture speaks a thousand words.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for your review of the County Hotel by Thistle following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities suited your requirements. Thank you for your kind comments about our bar area and our breakfast selection - our breakfast chef is available to cook eggs and a range of breakfast items to order including porridge, fish and omelettes should you request them either from the chef or from one of the floor team.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

After an excellent experience last year, we returned for the ball this year. I brought two friends with me and we really had a fantastic night. The venue was beautifully decorated, food was good and the disco was first class. The supreme moment was the arrival of the pipers. This completed a fabulous evening, looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: Try the Rothbury suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to note that you chose to return to us at The County for our New Year's Eve Hogmanay Ball. Thank you for your loyalty and for bringing your friends along with you - we really appreciate your support.

I have to admit, the team did a great job in dressing the room - it looked spectacular and I am pleased that you enjoyed the piper just after midnight.

The team are currently in the process of planning next year's events and we are hoping to have brochures available in the early part of the year.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes for 2013.