Stayed for 3 nights as I was in the area on business. The check in was seamless and the reception staff most helpful and courteous. I asked for directions to the Eldon Square shopping centre and was given a map with the receptionist circling my destination and telling me what route to take.
The room, whilst bijou, was clean and tidy with a small but fully functional bathroom with a plentiful supply of towels and toiletries. A flat screen, wall mounted tv was in the room and a supply of tea and coffee things with biscuits was in a side cabinet. The bed was comfy and spare pillows were available. All in all very comfortable and pleasant. One thing to note; I was in a front bedroom which was right opposite the railway station, many bus stops and a taxi rank. Whilst expecting to request a room exchange after the first night I can confirm that the secondary double glazing works a treat!!
I ate for 2 nights in the hotel restaurant. First night I had the burger and although it was well cooked and presented with fries and tomato sauce, it was nothing special. Second night I went for the fish and chips - wow! The fish was extremely fresh, well cooked and the batter was light and delightful with great chips. There was also mushy peas and tartare sauce.
Breakfast on both days was excellent. There is a chef on hand to freshly prepare omelettes and poached eggs and he is constantly replenishing the hot buffet. The cold tables are also well stocked. Toasted is freshly prepared and brought to your table.
Overall I had a very good stay and would most definitely stay again. Just one little "niggle" - I found the restaurant draughty if you sat at the back, furthest away from the kitchen area. But it was no big deal to change tables.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the centre of Newcastle, The County Hotel, part of The Hotel Collection, is perfect for shopping, sporting and cultural events, and visiting the world-famous Hadrian's Wall. A magnificent Victorian building opposite Newcastle Central station, The County Hotel is the ideal base for shopping, concerts and other cultural events, with attractions from Roman remains to the legendary St James' Park within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com and Agoda so you can book your The County Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne