“Very basic stay” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England   |
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Very basic stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was booked by work but if I had to choose this hotel wouldn't be at the top of my list. Parking is really bad. You don't get to reserve your car space so if there isn't one then your stuck. Plus you have to pay an extra £10 a day. Staff very friendly and rooms very clean. Didn't enjoy breakfast at all. A member of staff greeted me to check what room I was in but all my other friends had staff ask them for tea and coffee and toast where I had to go out of my way to get these. On the second day of my stay the breakfast was awful. The fried eggs smelt off and really ruined my meal. Apart from that it was a very basic stay.

Room Tip: If you bring a car make sure you leave it in the car park for the whole stay. Hotel in a good locati...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience as much we would have expected you to have done.

As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, there was no need for parking at hotels at that time, therefore we have to make the most of the space available to us. We have 19 spaces which are on a first come first served basis and they are charged at £10 per 24 hours, which is in line, if not better value than our competitors. Should the car park be full, there are several options for parking nearby and the reception team are more than happy to help with directions and information as well as to hold your baggage until you return. There is a loading bay at the front of the hotel which can be used for a short time while the reception team provide you with directions. Most of our guests choose to travel by train as the station is literally across the road from our hotel.

I am sorry that breakfast was not to your personal taste. You will note from recent reviews that our breakfast food and service is usually praised by our guests. Earlier this week we had an unannounced overnight visit from the AA inspector and he spoke highly with regards to the breakfast food and service - this helped increase our merit score to 3 star 82%. I can confirm that all of our food is delivered fresh daily from reputable suppliers. I am confident that if you had brought any of your concerns to our Duty Manager they would have been more than happy to assist rectifying them for you.

I am pleased to note that you found the bedrooms to be clean and the staff friendly.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am reviewing "Thistle" the County hotel. Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail, Bus Station and Metro station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is hotel. It offers a restaurant, with lively night life just 100 meters away. Room rates were reasonable but i went for a large double room as opposed to a small single room as i wanted a good nights sleep on a bigger bed, and I did get a good night sleep. Rates differ depending on which room choice you are making.

The room was basic no frills. No refrigerator available in the room. There is also no safe. The bathroom is basic and provides just enough facilities to ensure a good "scrub" up before venturing out. You really dont need much more from a room, really!
I spent a few hours in the spacious downstairs bar working on my laptop. i was able to leave my work and drinks and stand in the street outside to have a cigarette in full view of my belongings. The big windows on the street level meant you could watch your drink while having a cigarette - Handy if you are traveling solo - get a seat by the window though.

Breakfast featured a nice selection.
I spotted and walked towards what to my surprise looked like a live cooking station and i though, wow, Newcastle is catching on. It turned out to be a just chef's cubicle for making sandwiches? I tried to find out what the station was for but when i asked, was asked firmly to take a seat "Sir" and we will come to you in a minute. So i cannot tell you if the facility has a live cooking station or not.
I have added some pictures to this review.
A picture speaks a thousand words.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for your review of the County Hotel by Thistle following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities suited your requirements. Thank you for your kind comments about our bar area and our breakfast selection - our breakfast chef is available to cook eggs and a range of breakfast items to order including porridge, fish and omelettes should you request them either from the chef or from one of the floor team.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

After an excellent experience last year, we returned for the ball this year. I brought two friends with me and we really had a fantastic night. The venue was beautifully decorated, food was good and the disco was first class. The supreme moment was the arrival of the pipers. This completed a fabulous evening, looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: Try the Rothbury suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to note that you chose to return to us at The County for our New Year's Eve Hogmanay Ball. Thank you for your loyalty and for bringing your friends along with you - we really appreciate your support.

I have to admit, the team did a great job in dressing the room - it looked spectacular and I am pleased that you enjoyed the piper just after midnight.

The team are currently in the process of planning next year's events and we are hoping to have brochures available in the early part of the year.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes for 2013.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We can only report good things about this hotel. On arrival we were greeted warmly on check in, which was processed very quickly and we soon found our room on the 4th floor. It was quite a large room with a huge bed, large flat screen Philips TV and spotless bathroom with a full bath and shower. There were good storage facilities, a comfortable chair, and extra pillows on top of the wardrobe.

We had only booked for one night, but discovered we needed to stay longer. Nicola, the lady who we met on check in, was very helpful and quickly organised an additional night in the same room. She was very poilte and is a credit to herself, her profession and the hotel.

The location of this hotel is excellent, opposite the railway station and a short walk from a plethora of bars and restaurants, some excellent shops and the metro.

There are one or two picky little things that could be improved. The PC in the foyer was very, very slow, and the stairs near our room were a little squeaky. These are very small points, though, that didn't really affect the enjoyment of our stay. One thing that was a little irritating, was the fact the flush on the toilet was broken, and had to be returned to the upright position manually. I meant to report this to reception on departure so that the next guest would hopefully find it in good order, but due to the early hour it sadly slipped my mind!

I have no hesitation at all in recommending this hotel to anyone who wants to be in a central location that is convenient for public transport and is not far away from the nightlife. In my opinion this is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Room 422 is good if you want some space and a large bed. It is also very quiet, as it is set away fr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback to the Tripadvisor community following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and that you only have good things to say about your experience and the location of the hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding the service you received from Nicola - I will certainly pass your comments onto her. I am sure she will be delighted that she helped make your stay an enjoyable one.

Just for your information, we have only recently had our Wi-Fi access improved - which means it is faster, safer and with better coverage around the hotel. I am sure that you will notice an improvement on your next visit.

Thank you once again for your review and recommendation. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Piraeus, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have been staying at Thistle Newcastle one or twice every year since 2001. The hotel is improving every year although there is always space for some more improvement (the double faucet tradition in the bathroom sink can be a martyrdom when shaving!!!).
The Front desk people are all friendly, polite and effective (what else can I ask for??) and the breakfast area very well maintained with a big variety of items to choose from.
The location is a plus since is just across from the Central Train Station and only 15 minutes from the airport.
What I find quite disturbing is that they charge 10 pounds for a 24hour wi-fi access when most of the places and hotels in Europe provide it for free (they do not provide free wi-fi not even in the main lobby or the restaurants)

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms on the 2nd floor during holiday season since is where the parties happen and you...
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted that you would recommend our hotel as a very good choice for business and really pleased to note that you approve of the changes we are making - I am sure that you will notice more improvements on your next visit, including an upgrade to our Wi-Fi offering.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service you received from the team and the good standard of breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Stornoway, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very good hotel. Breakfast was well presented. Staff were very helpful. Decor, cleanliness and facilities are very good. Would recommend and visit this hotel again. Very central to town and railway station (opposite).

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased that you chose to stay with us for your night "on the toon". Thank you for your positive comments regarding our breakfast, the décor, cleanliness and service received. Your recommendation to fellow Tripadvisor community members is really appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Sunderland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel but I had my Christmas party here on a Saturday night. The hotel is in a great location, right in the city centre opposite the train station. Hotel reception looks the part and we were met with a smile by a pleasant lady on the door who directed us to our "suite" where I was slightly disappointed to find that the tables were split so our party was split between three different tables. Service was swift and went smoothly. Butternut squash soup was delicious but small portion. Turkey dinner yet again was lovely but small portion again. Treacle pudding was not to my liking but others enjoyed. Drinks were expensive, dance floor was TINY! Overall, I had a fantastic night with good food and good company but there was some disappointments for the price paid, I expected more which was a shame.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your Christmas Party at the County Hotel in Newcastle.

I was really pleased to note that overall you had an enjoyable time, however sorry to learn that your personal expectations weren't entirely met.

Like many hotels Christmas is a busy occasion for us at the County. We always try where possible to keep a party on one table, however there are occasions when this is not possible either due to the party numbers or space available. Should we have to split a party for a Christmas event, we always try to ensure that they are next to each other and not in different parts of the room, which I believe was the case on Saturday.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of the food produced and I am sorry that you personally felt that the portions were small. We have already served several hundred Christmas diners and this is the first comment we have received of this nature.

Our drinks prices are comparative for a hotel of our standard - I am sorry if you found them to be higher than expected.

Thank you once again for your comments and I am sincerely pleased to note that despite your personal expectations not being met you had a "fantastic night". We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Steven Devine

Been to Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County? Share your experiences!