I am reviewing "Thistle" the County hotel. Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail, Bus Station and Metro station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is hotel. It offers a restaurant, with lively night life just 100 meters away. Room rates were reasonable but i went for a large double room as opposed to a small single room as i wanted a good nights sleep on a bigger bed, and I did get a good night sleep. Rates differ depending on which room choice you are making.
The room was basic no frills. No refrigerator available in the room. There is also no safe. The bathroom is basic and provides just enough facilities to ensure a good "scrub" up before venturing out. You really dont need much more from a room, really!
I spent a few hours in the spacious downstairs bar working on my laptop. i was able to leave my work and drinks and stand in the street outside to have a cigarette in full view of my belongings. The big windows on the street level meant you could watch your drink while having a cigarette - Handy if you are traveling solo - get a seat by the window though.
Breakfast featured a nice selection.
I spotted and walked towards what to my surprise looked like a live cooking station and i though, wow, Newcastle is catching on. It turned out to be a just chef's cubicle for making sandwiches? I tried to find out what the station was for but when i asked, was asked firmly to take a seat "Sir" and we will come to you in a minute. So i cannot tell you if the facility has a live cooking station or not.
I have added some pictures to this review.
A picture speaks a thousand words.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opposite Newcastle’s Central Rail and Bus Station, this beautifully preserved 19th-century building is now a modern hotel. The County Hotel by Thistle, located in the heart of Newcastle city centre, is just minutes from restaurants, bars and theatres as well as the Quayside area. St James' Park, home of Newcastle United FC, is a 10-minute walk away. The Metro Radio Arena, O2 Academy and Sage Gateshead are located within walking distance of the hotel. With a flat-screen satellite TV, an in-room safe and tea and coffee making facilities, the rooms also have 24-hour room service available. Private bathrooms each feature an over bath shower and a hairdryer and ironing facilities are available. Rendez Vous Restaurant provides a range of British and international cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients. The relaxed lounge bar shows sports on large LCD TVs. The County features 11 meeting and event rooms - suitable for a 1:1 meeting or a conference for up to 220 delegates. All rooms have natural daylight, air conditioning and come equipped with all of the equipment needed for a perfect meeting. Weddings, formal dinners and family celebrations are a speciality of the hotel.The hotel offers complimentary off-site gym facilities within walking distance. Limited car parking for 19 vehicles is also available at a small daily charge. Wi-fi is also available throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and HotelsClick so you can book your Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.