“a very good choice for business” 4 of 5 stars

You added Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County to your Saves list
Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England   |
Piraeus, Greece
“a very good choice for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have been staying at Thistle Newcastle one or twice every year since 2001. The hotel is improving every year although there is always space for some more improvement (the double faucet tradition in the bathroom sink can be a martyrdom when shaving!!!).
The Front desk people are all friendly, polite and effective (what else can I ask for??) and the breakfast area very well maintained with a big variety of items to choose from.
The location is a plus since is just across from the Central Train Station and only 15 minutes from the airport.
What I find quite disturbing is that they charge 10 pounds for a 24hour wi-fi access when most of the places and hotels in Europe provide it for free (they do not provide free wi-fi not even in the main lobby or the restaurants)

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms on the 2nd floor during holiday season since is where the parties happen and you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was delighted that you would recommend our hotel as a very good choice for business and really pleased to note that you approve of the changes we are making - I am sure that you will notice more improvements on your next visit, including an upgrade to our Wi-Fi offering.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service you received from the team and the good standard of breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Steven Devine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Stornoway, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very good hotel. Breakfast was well presented. Staff were very helpful. Decor, cleanliness and facilities are very good. Would recommend and visit this hotel again. Very central to town and railway station (opposite).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased that you chose to stay with us for your night "on the toon". Thank you for your positive comments regarding our breakfast, the décor, cleanliness and service received. Your recommendation to fellow Tripadvisor community members is really appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Sunderland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel but I had my Christmas party here on a Saturday night. The hotel is in a great location, right in the city centre opposite the train station. Hotel reception looks the part and we were met with a smile by a pleasant lady on the door who directed us to our "suite" where I was slightly disappointed to find that the tables were split so our party was split between three different tables. Service was swift and went smoothly. Butternut squash soup was delicious but small portion. Turkey dinner yet again was lovely but small portion again. Treacle pudding was not to my liking but others enjoyed. Drinks were expensive, dance floor was TINY! Overall, I had a fantastic night with good food and good company but there was some disappointments for the price paid, I expected more which was a shame.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your Christmas Party at the County Hotel in Newcastle.

I was really pleased to note that overall you had an enjoyable time, however sorry to learn that your personal expectations weren't entirely met.

Like many hotels Christmas is a busy occasion for us at the County. We always try where possible to keep a party on one table, however there are occasions when this is not possible either due to the party numbers or space available. Should we have to split a party for a Christmas event, we always try to ensure that they are next to each other and not in different parts of the room, which I believe was the case on Saturday.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of the food produced and I am sorry that you personally felt that the portions were small. We have already served several hundred Christmas diners and this is the first comment we have received of this nature.

Our drinks prices are comparative for a hotel of our standard - I am sorry if you found them to be higher than expected.

Thank you once again for your comments and I am sincerely pleased to note that despite your personal expectations not being met you had a "fantastic night". We look forward to welcoming you back to the County in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed on Wed night, booked through internet and requested a warm,quiet room. Sadly, this was not what we were given. The room was tiny and the heating was off so it was like walking into a fridge. The heater radiator was not adequate size for the room and the bathroom was like the Antarctic. We were given an extra electric heater by staff and also extra duvet. Small bed (most other hotels have a larger than standard size double) not much room left to move about even with the small bed. We were told there was no view to the room which was not important as we were there to sleep, the room however looked on to a wall abot a metre away! Very dark. Noise from other residents walking up and down very creaky steps nearby kept us awake all night.
No breakfast, not a cheap stay,would we go back? Not likely

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer

I was sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the room which you were allocated.

I am aware that you had requested a quiet room and with that in mind one of the quietest rooms in the hotel was allocated to you. This room faced an internal light well and this was highlighted to you on arrival. I am confident that if you had advised the team of your dissatisfaction they would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative room.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our bedrooms vary in size from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. Our bedrooms are not as uniformed as the new builds of today and have been graded accordingly with the bed size that suits the room - some of our standard double rooms have king size beds, where others have standard size, depending on the space available.

I have carried out a spot check on the room and I can confirm that the heating is in good working order and I am pleased that when asked the team provided you with additional heating and duvets.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused and I do hope that you would choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Whitehaven
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in the County on a room only deal. The hotel is everything you would expect from a city centre hotel. The location is excellent, as several reviews have already mentioned it is opposite Newcastle Central. This makes it great for the bar areas and the Mill Volvo Tyne theatre we were visiting.

Being so conveniently located for the bars and quite a cheap place to stay means there was considerable noise from the corridors at night. We didn't head out to the bar area after the show we were seeing. Instead we decided just to go for a quiet drink in the hotel bar. I cannot recommend this experience, the tables looked like they hadn't been cleared or cleaned since the start of the evening. Not a problem in most circumstances, but when you are charged £5.45 for a Malibu and Coke, you probably shouldn't be moving other peoples empties.

Staying as room only, meant that we had to source breakfast ourselves the following morning. We were offered it for £10 each in the hotel. This seems about normal for a hotel, however there is a certain very popular chain of pubs based right behind the hotel, offering a large breakfast for less than half that.

Overall if you are just looking for somewhere cheap to put your head for the night, then this hotel is OK. I don't think I would recommend it if you are planning a long weekend. Don't bother with the hotel breakfast or bar as you will get much better value right outside the door.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel, Newcastle.

I was really pleased to note that you generally found the hotel to be as expected and you found that the location suited your needs.

I was very sorry to learn of your experience in the bar. This is not the standard we aim for and it is certainly not the norm. Please be assured that I will be personally monitoring the bar service going forward to ensure that our usual high levels of service are evident.

Our breakfast offering is very good with a buffet choice of hot and cold items - a great start to the day or as a nice weekend treat. The standard price is £14.95 per person, however vouchers are available via reception on check in for £10 per person. I am confident that you would have enjoyed the offering available.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We managed to secure a deal for this visit. Great the rate and a special welcome gift. As the welcome had been forgotten I decided to ask about it. To the credit of the hotel they apologised immediately for the error and instantly rectified with a room upgrade and nice bottle of wine. Mistakes happen but its how they are handled that I judge on and I can clearly see that the customer is king still stands here. Nice room, can't fault the cleanliness, and made up to perfection every day before we slobs meseed it up again. Our only issue was with the street noise and the fact that the crossing beeper seemed to activated every 2 seconds. Not a lot that can be done on this one, either triple glaze or get the ear plugs out. Given the location, price paid against comparable hotels and cleanliness, we would stay again.

Room Tip: FRont rooms are noisier, its quiter to the rear.
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was really pleased to read that you found the hotel to be clean and the team to be efficient - I am pleased that the team were able to resolve the initial issue faced on check in without too much hassle. Thank you for your understanding and allowing us the opportunity to rectify this for you.

Being in the heart of the city has lots of advantages, however external noise can be a bit of a nuisance. We are currently in the process of appointing a contractor to refurbish our windows and secondary glazing. As we are grade 2 listed and the hotel contains the original sash windows, this is proving a little more of a challenge than originally expected. I am confident that this work will assist in reducing external noise.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle

Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Excellent location opposite Newcastle Central Railway Station and minutes wakj from Centre for Life and main shopping areas. Excellent breakfast, clean and well eqipped bedrooms and ensuite. tolietries, tea, coffee etc. Does not have the feel of a chain hotel, with individual style, quirky corridors etc. Very helpful, courteous and attentive staff at reception and breakfast. The room was not big, but suitable enough for myself - booked as a single - and on the 5th floor did feel a bit like an attic, but I like attics!! The lifts small and a bit on the slow side. I would certainly stay there again

Room Tip: facing the station can be noisy on a Saturday night - this is Newcastle!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for providing fellow Tripadvisor members with a review of the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the quality of the breakfast, bedroom and facilities available.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County.

Steven Devine

Been to Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County? Share your experiences!