I have been staying at Thistle Newcastle one or twice every year since 2001. The hotel is improving every year although there is always space for some more improvement (the double faucet tradition in the bathroom sink can be a martyrdom when shaving!!!).
The Front desk people are all friendly, polite and effective (what else can I ask for??) and the breakfast area very well maintained with a big variety of items to choose from.
The location is a plus since is just across from the Central Train Station and only 15 minutes from the airport.
What I find quite disturbing is that they charge 10 pounds for a 24hour wi-fi access when most of the places and hotels in Europe provide it for free (they do not provide free wi-fi not even in the main lobby or the restaurants)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located across from Grand Central Station, the Mercure Newcastle County Hotel is perfect for shopping, sporting and cultural events, and visiting the world-famous Hadrian's Wall. A magnificent Grade II Listed Victorian, the hotel is the ideal base for shopping, concerts and other cultural events, with attractions from Roman remains to the legendary St James' Park within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms, Hotels.com, Travelocity, ACCOR, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Mercure Newcastle County Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- County Hotel, Newcastle Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- County Hotel By Thistle Newcastle
- County Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne