“Very cold,small room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Newcastle County Hotel

You added Mercure Newcastle County Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Newcastle County Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England (Formerly Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County)   |
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very cold,small room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed on Wed night, booked through internet and requested a warm,quiet room. Sadly, this was not what we were given. The room was tiny and the heating was off so it was like walking into a fridge. The heater radiator was not adequate size for the room and the bathroom was like the Antarctic. We were given an extra electric heater by staff and also extra duvet. Small bed (most other hotels have a larger than standard size double) not much room left to move about even with the small bed. We were told there was no view to the room which was not important as we were there to sleep, the room however looked on to a wall abot a metre away! Very dark. Noise from other residents walking up and down very creaky steps nearby kept us awake all night.
No breakfast, not a cheap stay,would we go back? Not likely

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle County Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the room which you were allocated.

I am aware that you had requested a quiet room and with that in mind one of the quietest rooms in the hotel was allocated to you. This room faced an internal light well and this was highlighted to you on arrival. I am confident that if you had advised the team of your dissatisfaction they would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative room.

As our hotel dates back to the late 1800's, our bedrooms vary in size from the large and lofty to the compact and cosy. Our bedrooms are not as uniformed as the new builds of today and have been graded accordingly with the bed size that suits the room - some of our standard double rooms have king size beds, where others have standard size, depending on the space available.

I have carried out a spot check on the room and I can confirm that the heating is in good working order and I am pleased that when asked the team provided you with additional heating and duvets.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused and I do hope that you would choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Whitehaven
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed in the County on a room only deal. The hotel is everything you would expect from a city centre hotel. The location is excellent, as several reviews have already mentioned it is opposite Newcastle Central. This makes it great for the bar areas and the Mill Volvo Tyne theatre we were visiting.

Being so conveniently located for the bars and quite a cheap place to stay means there was considerable noise from the corridors at night. We didn't head out to the bar area after the show we were seeing. Instead we decided just to go for a quiet drink in the hotel bar. I cannot recommend this experience, the tables looked like they hadn't been cleared or cleaned since the start of the evening. Not a problem in most circumstances, but when you are charged £5.45 for a Malibu and Coke, you probably shouldn't be moving other peoples empties.

Staying as room only, meant that we had to source breakfast ourselves the following morning. We were offered it for £10 each in the hotel. This seems about normal for a hotel, however there is a certain very popular chain of pubs based right behind the hotel, offering a large breakfast for less than half that.

Overall if you are just looking for somewhere cheap to put your head for the night, then this hotel is OK. I don't think I would recommend it if you are planning a long weekend. Don't bother with the hotel breakfast or bar as you will get much better value right outside the door.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel, Newcastle.

I was really pleased to note that you generally found the hotel to be as expected and you found that the location suited your needs.

I was very sorry to learn of your experience in the bar. This is not the standard we aim for and it is certainly not the norm. Please be assured that I will be personally monitoring the bar service going forward to ensure that our usual high levels of service are evident.

Our breakfast offering is very good with a buffet choice of hot and cold items - a great start to the day or as a nice weekend treat. The standard price is £14.95 per person, however vouchers are available via reception on check in for £10 per person. I am confident that you would have enjoyed the offering available.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We managed to secure a deal for this visit. Great the rate and a special welcome gift. As the welcome had been forgotten I decided to ask about it. To the credit of the hotel they apologised immediately for the error and instantly rectified with a room upgrade and nice bottle of wine. Mistakes happen but its how they are handled that I judge on and I can clearly see that the customer is king still stands here. Nice room, can't fault the cleanliness, and made up to perfection every day before we slobs meseed it up again. Our only issue was with the street noise and the fact that the crossing beeper seemed to activated every 2 seconds. Not a lot that can be done on this one, either triple glaze or get the ear plugs out. Given the location, price paid against comparable hotels and cleanliness, we would stay again.

Room Tip: FRont rooms are noisier, its quiter to the rear.
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I was really pleased to read that you found the hotel to be clean and the team to be efficient - I am pleased that the team were able to resolve the initial issue faced on check in without too much hassle. Thank you for your understanding and allowing us the opportunity to rectify this for you.

Being in the heart of the city has lots of advantages, however external noise can be a bit of a nuisance. We are currently in the process of appointing a contractor to refurbish our windows and secondary glazing. As we are grade 2 listed and the hotel contains the original sash windows, this is proving a little more of a challenge than originally expected. I am confident that this work will assist in reducing external noise.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle

Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Excellent location opposite Newcastle Central Railway Station and minutes wakj from Centre for Life and main shopping areas. Excellent breakfast, clean and well eqipped bedrooms and ensuite. tolietries, tea, coffee etc. Does not have the feel of a chain hotel, with individual style, quirky corridors etc. Very helpful, courteous and attentive staff at reception and breakfast. The room was not big, but suitable enough for myself - booked as a single - and on the 5th floor did feel a bit like an attic, but I like attics!! The lifts small and a bit on the slow side. I would certainly stay there again

Room Tip: facing the station can be noisy on a Saturday night - this is Newcastle!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Glen B
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for providing fellow Tripadvisor members with a review of the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the quality of the breakfast, bedroom and facilities available.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County.

home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I accidentally booked a 'small double' for myself and my husband when we stayed over after a concert last Friday night. I meant to book a regular double, and was a bit disappointed by the size of the room. It was seriously small. The bathroom was huge, strangely enough though! The bed was against the wall and the desk at the end was pushed right against the end which made it really difficult for me to get out of bed to go to the loo as I was so squished in! My husband said he nearly fell out of bed several times. I think the room would be fine for one person, but I would not book the size again for 2. Didn't think the cleanliness was amazing, just don't look into the corners too much. The wardrobe door fell off onto my husband in the morning.
Car parking was a disappointment, we were told car parking was available for £10 for 24 hours, nowhere were we informed it was first come, first serve and the car park was the size of a shoebox. We were a bit annoyed to be told we would have to back out onto the street, navigate the one way systems to park in the train station for £15. I'm sure the receptionists get a lot of flack for this and i know it's not their fault but with no discount offered on the room and a curt 'the car park's full, you can't book a space' attitude after a nightmare drive into Newcastle city centre, this wasn't the nicest welcome we'd ever had. Overall, an acceptable place to rest our heads after a concert but if we decide to stay over in the city again we will probably look for somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle County Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide the Tripadvisor community with a review following your recent stay with us at the County.

Our Small Double room types are the smallest rooms in the hotel and as such are priced accordingly lower than a standard double. The Small Doubles are ideal for sole occupancy or for two people if you are just looking for a base whilst you are enjoying all that Newcastle has to offer. As bathrooms were not included in the original design of the hotel, they were added at a later date using space available, therefore there is not as much uniformity in our hotel compared to the new builds of today.

As we are in the heart of the city, parking at the hotel is limited to 19 spaces. This is on a first come basis and charged at £10 per 24 hours. This information is detailed on our web site. The team on the front desk are familiar with alternative parking options and they have sought options to suit all budgets.

I was really pleased to note that you found the location to be very good for your visit to the Metro Radio Arena.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us should you return to Newcastle.

General Manager.
Darlington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I chose this hotel as i had previoulsy stayed in a Thistle and found it to be good quality. Unfortunately my stay at The County will be my last. Our room was tired with a bathroom in need of a good clean and refurbishment. the room was a like a sauna for the entire stay with no option to open a window as they were bolted shut, and no thermostat to regulate the temperture. Yes there was a fan in the room but as explained to the receptionist in the morning a fan only circulates the existing hot air-it doesnt provide fresh air or cool the room. had I realised before booking that there would be a charge for wifi i would have chosen elsewhere. Ill be looking elsewhere next time!

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at The County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really sorry to learn of your disappointment. We are currently in the process of selecting a contractor to refurbish our bedroom windows and secondary double glazing, however as we are a grade 2 listed building with original sash windows, it is proving more of a challenge than originally expected.

I can confirm that there is a thermostat on the individual radiator which controls the heat in the room. I am sure that if one of the team had been made aware of the problems you faced with the radiator, they would have been more than happy to assist.

Thistle have recently launched its very own loyalty programme entitled Signature. This gives our regular guests great rewards for staying with Thistle, including immediate internet access once signed up to the programme at the reception desk. Should you wish to find out more about the programme, please visit the Thistle web site.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Chosen primarily on location, it was extremely convenient for a saturday night out. But it's proximity to nightlife also meant there were lots of revellers in the area all night.

Managed to park at the hotel which was v convenient. Expensive but comparable to other local places and spaces are very limited.

Room unbearably hot but with the window open we were disturbed by people outside. Therefore very grateful for noon checkout on the Sunday.

Rooms are dated and a bit tatty and age means no air con. Bed rather hard. Clean and cosy otherwise. No blackout curtains. Very creaky floorboards made creeping to the toilet without disturbing my partner impossible!

If you have mobility problems discuss this with the hotel beforehand because not all rooms would be accessible without taking stairs.

Overall reasonable value for a city centre hotel but the problems might deter me from staying here again and I would definitely request a rear facing room.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry to learn that you were not entirely happy with your stay.

Being in the heart of the city has lots of advantages, however external noise can be a slight nuisance at times, particularly at weekends. We do have a range of bedrooms which face our courtyard car park which are quieter and can be requested at the reservation stage, however are subject to availability. As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, there are a few small sets of internal steps, however there are rooms which are step free and the team will be more than happy to assist as required.

We are constantly upgrading the facilities in the hotel bedrooms, and we have recently had new black out curtains fitted in every room, as well as various carpets and all rooms have recently been re decorated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.