“Weekend break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The County Hotel

You added The County Hotel to your Saves list
The County Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neville Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, England (Formerly Thistle Newcastle City Centre, The County)   |
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Excellent location opposite Newcastle Central Railway Station and minutes wakj from Centre for Life and main shopping areas. Excellent breakfast, clean and well eqipped bedrooms and ensuite. tolietries, tea, coffee etc. Does not have the feel of a chain hotel, with individual style, quirky corridors etc. Very helpful, courteous and attentive staff at reception and breakfast. The room was not big, but suitable enough for myself - booked as a single - and on the 5th floor did feel a bit like an attic, but I like attics!! The lifts small and a bit on the slow side. I would certainly stay there again

Room Tip: facing the station can be noisy on a Saturday night - this is Newcastle!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for providing fellow Tripadvisor members with a review of the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the quality of the breakfast, bedroom and facilities available.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the County.

Steven Devine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I accidentally booked a 'small double' for myself and my husband when we stayed over after a concert last Friday night. I meant to book a regular double, and was a bit disappointed by the size of the room. It was seriously small. The bathroom was huge, strangely enough though! The bed was against the wall and the desk at the end was pushed right against the end which made it really difficult for me to get out of bed to go to the loo as I was so squished in! My husband said he nearly fell out of bed several times. I think the room would be fine for one person, but I would not book the size again for 2. Didn't think the cleanliness was amazing, just don't look into the corners too much. The wardrobe door fell off onto my husband in the morning.
Car parking was a disappointment, we were told car parking was available for £10 for 24 hours, nowhere were we informed it was first come, first serve and the car park was the size of a shoebox. We were a bit annoyed to be told we would have to back out onto the street, navigate the one way systems to park in the train station for £15. I'm sure the receptionists get a lot of flack for this and i know it's not their fault but with no discount offered on the room and a curt 'the car park's full, you can't book a space' attitude after a nightmare drive into Newcastle city centre, this wasn't the nicest welcome we'd ever had. Overall, an acceptable place to rest our heads after a concert but if we decide to stay over in the city again we will probably look for somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide the Tripadvisor community with a review following your recent stay with us at the County.

Our Small Double room types are the smallest rooms in the hotel and as such are priced accordingly lower than a standard double. The Small Doubles are ideal for sole occupancy or for two people if you are just looking for a base whilst you are enjoying all that Newcastle has to offer. As bathrooms were not included in the original design of the hotel, they were added at a later date using space available, therefore there is not as much uniformity in our hotel compared to the new builds of today.

As we are in the heart of the city, parking at the hotel is limited to 19 spaces. This is on a first come basis and charged at £10 per 24 hours. This information is detailed on our web site. The team on the front desk are familiar with alternative parking options and they have sought options to suit all budgets.

I was really pleased to note that you found the location to be very good for your visit to the Metro Radio Arena.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us should you return to Newcastle.

General Manager.
Darlington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I chose this hotel as i had previoulsy stayed in a Thistle and found it to be good quality. Unfortunately my stay at The County will be my last. Our room was tired with a bathroom in need of a good clean and refurbishment. the room was a like a sauna for the entire stay with no option to open a window as they were bolted shut, and no thermostat to regulate the temperture. Yes there was a fan in the room but as explained to the receptionist in the morning a fan only circulates the existing hot air-it doesnt provide fresh air or cool the room. had I realised before booking that there would be a charge for wifi i would have chosen elsewhere. Ill be looking elsewhere next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at The County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really sorry to learn of your disappointment. We are currently in the process of selecting a contractor to refurbish our bedroom windows and secondary double glazing, however as we are a grade 2 listed building with original sash windows, it is proving more of a challenge than originally expected.

I can confirm that there is a thermostat on the individual radiator which controls the heat in the room. I am sure that if one of the team had been made aware of the problems you faced with the radiator, they would have been more than happy to assist.

Thistle have recently launched its very own loyalty programme entitled Signature. This gives our regular guests great rewards for staying with Thistle, including immediate internet access once signed up to the programme at the reception desk. Should you wish to find out more about the programme, please visit the Thistle web site.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Chosen primarily on location, it was extremely convenient for a saturday night out. But it's proximity to nightlife also meant there were lots of revellers in the area all night.

Managed to park at the hotel which was v convenient. Expensive but comparable to other local places and spaces are very limited.

Room unbearably hot but with the window open we were disturbed by people outside. Therefore very grateful for noon checkout on the Sunday.

Rooms are dated and a bit tatty and age means no air con. Bed rather hard. Clean and cosy otherwise. No blackout curtains. Very creaky floorboards made creeping to the toilet without disturbing my partner impossible!

If you have mobility problems discuss this with the hotel beforehand because not all rooms would be accessible without taking stairs.

Overall reasonable value for a city centre hotel but the problems might deter me from staying here again and I would definitely request a rear facing room.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really sorry to learn that you were not entirely happy with your stay.

Being in the heart of the city has lots of advantages, however external noise can be a slight nuisance at times, particularly at weekends. We do have a range of bedrooms which face our courtyard car park which are quieter and can be requested at the reservation stage, however are subject to availability. As our hotel was built in the late 1800's, there are a few small sets of internal steps, however there are rooms which are step free and the team will be more than happy to assist as required.

We are constantly upgrading the facilities in the hotel bedrooms, and we have recently had new black out curtains fitted in every room, as well as various carpets and all rooms have recently been re decorated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will stay with us again should you return to Newcastle.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in early November. We booked through Laterooms and did not arrive till after 10pm having driven down from Scotland after work. There was a friendly doorman/security guy keeping an eye on things in the entrance hall, I presume that is because it gets quite lively outside on the street. It was cold outside, but the room and the bathroom were lovely and warm. This was a brilliant welcome to our standard room. The bed was huge and the room although not massive was perfect for two people. We were on the fifth floor and not aware of much noise from the street. The only noise was a brief bit of shouting etc going on in the corridor about 5am, but in a city know for its nightlife this can't be helped. Our two daughters stayed in another room and were also very happy with their room on the second floor.
We did not have breakfast, but on the Sunday we had lunch which had 50% off, and was quite good. There was a piano player who was excellent. It was served in a huge room on the first floor. Felt a bit odd, but it was terrific value and the serving staff were very nice. Another bonus of this hotel is that it is very central. Just opposite the station and a short stroll to the shops. There is a nice bar with very friendly bar staff. There is also limited parking at the hotel which you have to pay for (£10 a night), but it is down a little alley and accessible from the hotel and has a security bar. So you feel better knowing the car is close at hand.
I would agree with other reviewers that having to pay for wifi is a complete pest.
But all in all this hotel has a lot going for it and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide me with feedback following your recent stay with us at the County Hotel by Thistle.

I was really pleased to learn that you decided to stay with us and delighted that you and your family had an enjoyable time at the Hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the welcome you received when you arrived at the hotel as well as the standard of our bedrooms.

We have recently launched our Sunday Lunch offering, which is served in our opulent wood panelled Mozart Suite and it is proving to be very popular. As a gesture, we offer all of our guests staying with us at the weekend the opportunity of a discount should they choose to have Sunday lunch with us. Vouchers are available from the reception team.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team at the hotel and the service you received.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the County when you return to Newcastle.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went for a weekend break and glad we chose this hotel. Limited parking but we got the last spot so we were fine and only £10 for 30 hrs. Upon arrival a nice easy check in with friendly staff who were helpful. Nice large room on the 5th floor. Was worried about the noise but this wasn't an issue. As soon as you leave the front door you are minutes away from the main shops / bars. Railway opposite but again not any hassle from there in terms of noise. Great if you go for the football as the walk back from the ground is about 10 mins and gives traffic time to die down. Love Newcastle as a City and would go back to this hotel without question.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNCL, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us at the County.

I was really pleased to learn that you chose to stay with Thistle and that you found the team to be friendly and welcoming. Thank you for your kind comments.

I have to agree with you that our location is second to none in Newcastle - literally in the heart of the city with everything within a few minutes stroll.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us when you return to Newcastle.

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a business trip at the end of august. The hotel is smart, staff are friendly and courteous, and overall it was a pleasant stay.
the buffet breakfast is excellent, with a full choice of continental and traditional english fayre ranging from cereals to fruit to bacon eggs and the essential black pudding.plenty of toast, te, coffee etc
The dinner menu was extensive and food delicious but left feeling hungry as the portions are small, ended up getting a sandwich from sainsburys across the road.Its right opposite the station and has a small car park that is £10 a day. the station car park is £5 for 24 hours.
the wifi is expensive- the standard for any business hotel should be free wifi without question.
Overall, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: small doubles really are small
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

I was really pleased to learn that you chose to stay at the County for your recent business trip and that you found that the hotel and service matched your expectation and requirements. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our breakfast offering - I will ensure that your comments are passed to the chef and breakfast service team. Comments such as these are a great motivator.