“Oh dear but helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Oh dear but helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

One member of our party required a gluten free meal for which I can say the staff were very helpful to advise to what was good to eat. Starters were very good- the scallops, rendang and the crab cakes. The main courses all arrived- lamb massaum and the chicken were good as was the bream but oh dear my prawns and noodles arrived- the prawns were 1/2 cold n warm, on telling the staff they arranged for a new one to arrive. A new hot one arrived but not once throughout me eating it did anytime ask how it was which was disappointing. The manager, I felt, was more interested in keeping regular clients happy and making a fuss over them than making sure new ones were kept happy and needless to say I won't be going back. The food was ok but I can and know I can cook better food, sorry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

newcastle
“Flawless!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I rarely make a review on a restaurant unless it has made an impact! This restaurant is amazing.....My partner and I went last night for my 30th Birthday. We had wanted to try something a bit different and this place had been highly recommend. We were hesitant when we were walking to the restaurant as the surrounding area is not the nicest areas of Newcastle city centre but we were pleasantly surprised once we came around the corner to this little gem tucked away in what felt like being somewhere foreign. Outside there is a lovely outdoor seating area then the restaurant it self is very in keeping with the cuisine. Staff were very helpful and the evening just got better and better with each course that came out. We had the works...starter, main, desserts and coffee which we bought through Travel Zoo (well worth the extra we paid in comparison to other ravel voucher deals) I would strongly recommend the scallops for starters and the legendary shaking beef. The Vietnamese coffee were also to die for! We will def be coming back with or without a voucher, Electric East has just acquired some more regular customers. Thank you Electric East!

London
“Some really great dishes & the odd duff one”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The dining room is attractively decorated with Vietnamese propoganda type posters, which look great. The atmosphere was informal and relaxed, with very friendly and attentive service.

The starters ("tapas") we had were spectacularly good, chilli squid, vietnamese crab cakes, meat balls etc. These were as good as any I've had elsewhere around the country and were a real treat.

The let-down for us though was a spicy beef dish (blazing beef or something) that we both ordered, which was pretty horrible. It had far too much fish sauce on it which really over-powered the other ingredients and also too much lime/lemon/vinegar added, so that the bottom of the plate was swimming in a fairly unpleasant mix. It also included some large unripe tomato quarters, which looked and tasted very out of place. This was a shame as other people's main courses all looked great, we just picked the wrong one I think. The chef needs to go back to the drawing board with this one.

Overall though we enjoyed the venue, the service and the food and will certainly be back on future visits to try the other dishes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Best food in Newcastle without any doubt! The atmosphere is relaxed, the setting exciting and the flavours incredible.

• Visited May 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Electric East is difficult to summarise, as what they offer is in my opinion very different to anywhere else I've ever eaten. I've tried to sum it up to friends as Asian tapas, but I'm really not sure that does the food justice.

I last visited for a family birthday, and despite it being a Friday night, found Electric East to be surprisingly quiet. More food for us! The ambience is perfect, and the food delicious and unbelievably moreish. The small sharing plates mean it's perfect to try a bit of lots of different morsels, each of them delicious. Chicken satay and the scallops with caramelised belly pork were particular highlights. We also had a bottle or two of very reasonably priced white wine and a delicious Australian dessert wine to finish.

All in all, an excellent evening with delicious food and attentive service in a great setting, and an experience I hope to repeat again very soon.

• Visited May 2013