“Great Tapas” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Called in after a few festive drinks. Had the 3 Tapas for £10.99 which consisted of fabulous king prawns in chilli and garlic, lamb kebabs with pitta and mint yoghurt, and tempura fish. Added Patatas and after a 25 minute wait (freshly cooked) they arrived. Very very tasty in a cool environment. Back soon.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“I recently visited Barca, this is my second and last visit.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was rudely informed by the manager propping up the bar that not only were me and my friends not welcome but we were not his clientele. We were a group of ladies with age ranges from 30-50 and had spent a considerable about of money in the bar. We had selected a song on the jukebox, and were helped by the managers friend (also propping up the bar). When the song started a member of staff skipped the song because she didn't like them. When one of our party who knows the manager tried to discuss this with him, he informed her she was lying and that his staff would not have said that. I understand that the jukebox is free and supplied by the bar, but if they are going to be selective about the songs played then Why make them available?? He was very intimidating, and made a scene to the rest of his customers which I can only assume is to make himself look better. As a resident of Gosforth I'm disgusted that people me and my husband know witnessed his treatment of me and my friends, to insinuate that we were too drunk or trouble was a disgrace. Please note that this is not a restaurant, it is a bar and reading the previous reviews and can only assume they were completed by friends or staff.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Good food, good quiz!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I recently visited the barca pub in gosforth on a Tuesday night and was pleasantly surprised. The last time we were there it was still the earl grey, we vowed never to go back.
What a turn around since then! When we arrived we received a warm welcome, the atmosphere was excellent, although fairly quiet. We decided to order some goss and were very impressed with the beautiful flavours and value for money.
A while later we then found there was a quiz on that night. It was only 50p to join in, but the first and second prizes were very generous with the winning team receiving a £20 food voucher and a bottle of wine. The quiz was very enjoyable and the quizmaster excellent a young man who was so clear on the microphone that I heard every word (very unusual in a pub quiz). Although we didn't win, we'll definitely be back on another Tuesday night to take part with a full team and look forward to another good night, with excellent food!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good Sunday lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I visited Barca approximately 1630hrs on a sunday hoping that I had not missed a traditional Sunday lunch. I was pleased that this was not the case and was given the choice of roast pork or beef. I could not decide what to have so the male taking the order suggested I have both which I accepted.
We waited a short time for our food and were served with the best Sunday lunch I've had in a long time. The veg had been roasted and the Yorkshire pudding's tasted "homemade."
Ten out of ten for the gravy which finished it off. The food was also piping hot which is a big must for me. Defin going back!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“A great gem on the High Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Lovely little pub on the High Street, with a good selection of wines, beers and cocktails.

The Tapas at Barca have been delicious every time we've eaten there and the pub has a relaxed, informal feel to it. We always have the handmade nachos, the burgers are also excellent made from 'real meat'.

I'll echo what the previous post said about cold toilets but on the plus side it's the only pub on the high street I've found to have hot running water!

• Visited May 2012