“Amazing Building, Fantastic Turkish Bath” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Health Clubs, Sports Complexes
Attraction Details
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
“Amazing Building, Fantastic Turkish Bath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The City Pool is a swimming pool operated by Newcastle City Council. It is very conveniently located in the City Centre, and is very popular with the locals. You can just pop in there in your lunch time.
There are two pools inside, although one of them is often closed for training. The building is very beautiful, and is worth a visit even if you do not plan to take a splash.
My favourite is the Turkish Bath, where you can lounge about and relax in the steam rooms for a couple of hours. There is a whirlpool as well. You are also allowed to use the swimming pool.
We normally go with my girlfriends and spend a couple of hours chatting and relaxing there. We normally get thrown out at closing time.
The only criticism I could perhaps mount, is that is women and men can go on alternate days, so I cannot take my husband there.

Visited December 2010

• Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Beautiful Turkish Baths - best experienced nude!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I'd never been to a Turkish Bath until this year. I was looking for somewhere for our naturist (nudist) group to meet during the cold winter months. What a gem it is. You feel like you're in an opulent 1930s club, with dark panelled walls and leather couches. However, I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit in the heat whilst wearing a swimming costume. Unfortunately that's exactly what you have to do during public sessions.
Much better to come to the naturist evenings organised by Three Rivers Outdoor Club. www.nudeswims.co.uk. You won't want to wear a costume again!

Newcastle-upon-Tyne
“ultimate DIY spa day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

Having been to the turkish baths at the city pool a number of times now, I laugh when I hear first-timers saying "We should make this a regular thing! Can't believe we haven't done this before!". Everybody does. In the city centre, it makes an ideal place to meet up and spend quality time with friends, or just with yourself. The ultimate laid-back treat. A great alternative to the Newcastle tradition of getting rather too drunk! This is a single-sex haven where you can pad around with your belly hanging out and a face-mask on! No WAGs here. The staff are fantastic and the atmosphere friendly. Its like a private club. You are allocated a booth where you can put your scrubbing brush and clothes and even have a little sleep while your fake-tan settles in (I recommend bringing your jim-jams). Friends tell me the massages rate better than any that can be found, from posh, extremely expensive luxury hotel spas to totally authentic ayurvedic treatments in the back-streets of Cochin. Get yourself there next time you want to catch up with your pals without the hangover, or go on your own for some P and Q and a little sleep.