“we really like this cafe.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
hexham
“we really like this cafe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have been here many times as a family. Although quite tightly packed with chairs and tables, they have always allowed us to take in our baby in the buggy, and even helped us upstairs with it when needed. The food is imaginative and tasty, the service friendly and helpful, a wide variety of drinks is available, and it is a comfortable and interesting place to visit. A lovely atmosphere and great food. What more could you want?

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North East England
“Not hot”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I like the style of the place: quaint, informal and immediately relaxing.

The small menu is very interesting, especially for vegetarians and vegans. It seems a bit odd that there are also meat and fish dishes on the menu.

We had vegan breafast, which to be honest sounded nicer on the menu than it actually tasted. I wished I had some brown sauce and mustard to boost the flavour. It didn't help that the food wasn't very hot.

I will give it a second chance but I'll probably choose something that's meant to be eaten cold.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Singing praises for the Singing Kettle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

What a wonderful little cafe/restaurant! Such a cosy atmosphere with great attention to detail.
When I first entered, I fell in love with the decor. The place is littered with lovely paintings and ornaments to help you feel at home.
Then, I had the pleasure of sampling the delicious food. I was in a hurry so unfortunately only had time for a biscuit and coffee. But what a lovely biscuit and coffee! So many lovely and healthy seeds packed into one biscuit. Having a glance at the menu, I was astounded by all of the strange combinations. What a unique menu!
Then, I had to say goodbye to the lovely staff. They were so friendly, and again, made me feel right at home.
I cannot wait for my next visit. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Two dished ordered, and both were unacceptable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went as a couple, and both ordered sandwiches. One had visible mold on bread, and the other came with yoghurt when had specifically ordered vegan. Paid for drinks but went away hungry. Will not be returning.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
ScrumpyWillow, Owner at Scrumpy Willow & The Singing Kettle, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Firstly, I'd like to say how sorry I am that you did not have an enjoyable experience at Scrumpy. We take unhappy customers very seriously and really strive for people to enjoy themselves when they visit.
Subsequent to reading your review, a full investigation of the incident has been made. As for the falafel sandwich, we really do apologise - the waitress on duty genuinly thought you were specifically asking for yoghurt, rather than no yoghurt. We are sad that the offer of an immediate replacement was not accepted.
More importantly, I would like to put your mind at rest that the substance you believed to be mould on the other sandwich, the chef identified as simply being flour. It is our strict policy to only serve sandwiches on bread which has been baked that day and I myself enforced this the previous evening by throwing away all left over bread from that day. We only had fresh loaves on the premisis.
I hope this puts your mind at rest a little and hope that we might see you again one day at Scrumpy for an all round better experience.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great food in a relax setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

The name of this restaurant is a really good indicator of the style and food it provides. It has a relax, cluttered feel to the restaurant layout, but it works well. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is flavoursome and different. This makes it a really refreshing place to have a light lunch and caterers for meat eaters and vegetarians well.