“Good hotel, friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Newcastle Jesmond Hotel

You added Newcastle Jesmond Hotel to your Saves list
Newcastle Jesmond Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   105 Osborne Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2TA, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Turku, Finland
“Good hotel, friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel was good all things considered. My room was very clean and the breakfast buffet was okay. The staff were friendly. My room was on the top floor and they helped me with my luggage - there's no elevator. I could hear everything from the rooms next door, which was a bit uncomfortable. The location was good. West Jesmond metro station is close by and there were lots of restaurants and shops near. Taxi drivers seem to mix this hotel with Jesmond hotel, which is good to know if you're arriving with taxi from the airport / train station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Donna M, General Manager at Newcastle Jesmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I'm happy to see that my colleagues helped you with your luggage. The breakfast we offer is continental (cheeses, fruit, bread, crumpets, croissants, teas, coffee and so forth) and we have recently added hot plates of egg & beans to provide guests with a bit more variety outside the traditional offerings of a continental breakfast. I would love to know what we could have added to make it better for you. Similarly I see your sleep was interrupted. Our reception desk is manned 24 hours, so if you visit us again, please call and we can rectify the issue at the time. Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

In a nice road full of hotels. Room comfortable. The shower was combined with the WC all in one and had a slightly musty smell. Although it has parking there isn't really enough and you can't park on the streets in the area. I had to leave the car further away. This was partly due to inconsiderate parking by other guests. The girl on reception was friendly and helpful. The 'continental' breakfast is disappointing with no croissants and mediocre coffee.

• Stayed September 2013
I'm glad that your overall experience was good, and even more so that the receptionist was helpful and friendly. For breakfast we get freshly baked croissants each morning, (we used to have pre-packed ones, but the feedback on these was generally poor so I got rid of them). As such we sometimes run out if the bakery doesn't have many left, or we are particularly busy. I have added hot plates to give a little extra to the traditional continental - egg on toast, beans on toast etc. I checked the coffee and we use Douwe Egberts filter. Although our supplier may send us an alternative if unavailable. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review!
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Why would you stay here when there are so many others hotels to choose from. It is worth pointing out that there is another hotel of the same name on the same street. It s not connected.
The first thing to notice is the dirty carpet which runs through the hotel and into our room, which is a pity as the other decor is good.
The only room avalible (hotels were booked up because of the Great North Run) was a family unit of two rooms in a private corridor. The double we used was very small, smelt of smoke, there was cig ash on the windowsill, a dirty make up wipe and as I have mentioned a dirty carpet.
As a family room I don't think it worked. The shower room and toilet were in the single room so we had to go out of our room to use. The private corridor has a window panel door so not really that private if you are sneaking about in your PJs. It would mean an adult would have to wake the child to use the loo.
The shower was terribly designed as a wet room so the floor was wet when you wanted to use the loo, the water didn't drain away fast enough and the room smelt of damp drain.
The hot continental breakie was hot beans and scramble eggs in addition to the usual.
Like all the hotels, because of the event, we paid over the standard price but if you were staying on business for a night it would be resonably priced as the linen was clean and our back room was quiet.
As a weeked away or a holiday I wouldn't choose here.

• Stayed September 2013
Firstly can I apologise for your experience at our hotel. The carpet as you can imagine is an on going battle and sometimes we do get behind when trying to clear up stains which have been walked through the hotel. There is a strict no smoking policy in the hotel, unfortunately our guests don't always adhere to this. The dirty wipe is unacceptable on all levels. After I read your review, there is now a more precise room check list, drawing the attention to the nooks that may be overlooked when we are busy. Also where possible, a second person re-checks the rooms. (Another reviewer) I think stayed in this room, and since we have been unable to remove the stains, we are getting these replaced. Your feed back regarding the odd set up of the family rooms has also helped (along with others) to put a case to get these changed slightly so they 'work'. Although this can't be done till the end of this year, a floor plan has now been added to the websites so that people can see exactly what they are booking. I need all reviews good and bad, so please accept my thanks for taking the time to reply so that we can improve.
Cardiff, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'll start with the good things... fairly easy to find, simple to check in and a great looking hotel with modern and clean, comfortable rooms. No qualms with the room at all. It was great value and a peaceful building considering it is very close to some lively pubs. Free wifi and the flat screen tv was great. I also noticed a desk fan which had possibly been added to the room during the summer because we've had such a hot one in the uk. Didn't use it but great idea nonetheless.

What ruined it was the restless night I had. I don't know if it was a particular problem with the room I was staying in on the end of the corridor but I had an extremely restless night as all I could hear all night were other doors slamming. It would also have been nice to have locks on the back of the doors for piece of mind because often the door slamming next door could be mistaken for someone trying to get into your room.

Granted I am a light sleeper but even with a little alcohol in my system I lost count of the amount of times I woke up during the night. Leaves you rather grouchy the next day.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper a room next to the corridor doors is probably not a great idea
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Happy to see that you liked the hotel & room facilities and can only apologise for the lack of sleep. We are generally a quiet hotel, the main reason why we don't have a bar, so people can go out and drink and come back for a good sleep. The doors have to close fully, as they are fire doors. We can only put so much resistance on the closer without violating fire regulations. We have started experimenting with different ways to reduce the noise. Haven't found one yet but we are still working on it. If you choose to stay again, there is a 24 hour reception so please feel free to call down and we can speak to guests who are causing a disturbance.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Although the hotel is just a few doors away from a raucous pub, it was a very quiet and restful place. I had a single on the top (4th) floor. It was small but quite adequate, and the shower was great in the curtain-less wetroom bathroom. The staff were particularly helpful. I had a problem with my door locking, and the receptionist traipsed right up to the top floor to investigate and produce the solution. They were also very good about explaining the rather complicated public transport system and the bus replacement service for some Metro stations. Although Osborne Road seems to be in the leafy suburbs, a saunter of half an hour will get you down to the Monument and the Laing Art Gallery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Very happy that you had a good time in Newcastle - even with the joys of the bus replacement service! Even better that the team really helped you with your queries. Thank you for taking the time to review us.
Celbridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Last week from Wednesday to Sunday I spent a lovely few days in Newcastle Upon Tyne. We stayed in the Newcastle Jesmond Hotel on Osborne Road. While the room and the double bed were exceptionally small the friendliness and courtesy of the hotel staff more than made up for that. I would have to mention Hyatt, Donal and Susanne on reception. They could not be more helpful and friendly. The hotel is ideally situated for visiting Newcastle. The West Jesmond Metro is about a five minute walk and city buses pass by the front door. But this line of the metro is closed for the month of July for line improvements. If you visit Newcastle make sure and do the city bus tour with City Sight Seening Tours. This gives you a great sense of the city and the commentary is excellent. Two things baffle me about Newcastle, 1. How a football stadium, St James Park, was allowed to be built in the middle of the city and 2. How they can justify spending 22 million pounds sterling on a footbridge across the river, namely The Millennium Bridge! But all in all I found it to be a very interesting city with plenty of shops for shopping and fine pedestrianized streets. It is a city I would like to visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for writing such a lovely review. I think you have seen more of Newcastle than all of us at the hotel put together. Sounds like you had a good time and I very very happy you found the team so friendly.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel us ideally set in amongst lots of bars and local eateries. The car park is located off the street to the back of the hotel.

We booked directly with the hotel, because of this we had complimentary breakfast thrown into boot. Breakfast was nice, it was sufficient had a large choice set in a lovely dining room.

Our room had a lovely bay window, and was so nice inside. It was excellent value for money. The staff are friendly and approachable. We would stay again in a heart beat. Well done

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Newcastle Jesmond Hotel? Share your experiences!