“Excellent Food excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Telephone: 0191 232 0276
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I work jsut around the corner from Moulin Rouge cafe and was advised by a collegue to try it out.
When I had first walked past I thought it was just your average greasy spoon (nothing wrong with that, i've had my best breakfasts and cup of tea out the dodgiest looking cafés).
I went inisde and ordered a chicken tikka wrap to take out with salad (£3.50). This was freshly cooked right infront of my eyes. While the chicken was cooking the wonderful & friendly man behind the counter went through all the fillings for my wrap and applied very generous amounts and a great squeeze of garlic sauce.
The place has cosy and intimate feel, the type you can only get from an authentic, independant business. The thing I really loved was the fact they were'nt tryin to be anything other than what they are. A simple place with simple, beautifully cooked and exceptional tasting food.
Don't be fooled by the exterior & interior of the place, it's a simple cafe. It's under priced and a great recommendation for friends and family. I will go back time and time again nd love supporting a truely wonderful local business.

• Visited January 2013

newcastle upon tyne
“really pleasing experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

i often call into this little place in the morning with my family on the way to school, i was asked to give my opinions on here by a member of staff, after they had recieved a negative review by someone who has never been in. (i dont think this review is credable at all.) I always find the staff really freindly and helpful, our breakfast is always tip top, and value for money. the cafe has a very plesant atmosphere, we visit this place regularly and have never ever has an issue.

• Visited December 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great welcome, fantastic food and service. you truly feel at home. we visit there alot. specially on fridays, when they have the special fish dish! but you have to reserve your food if you are going late, because it finishes soon. it is very cheap, and for the food that you get its unreal. the tea is fantastic and the way you get served all the salad and stuff before your food is really good. you feel at home when you can just walk around and get hatever it is you need.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“probably my favourite cafe ever...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The morning after the night before was a tough one after my first trip to Newcastle. My head hurt and I was starving, luckily, Moulin Rouge was about 10 seconds from where I was staying. I went for the bacon stottie option, where it was cooked so well, (not fatty!) and really affordable.
So affordable in fact I tended to eat there most of the time when I was there. Not only do they do typical greasy spoon food, (just without the grease) the traditional persian meals were delicious. Can have it as a takeaway, or eat in, where the staff made me feel so welcome, even if you just want a cup of tea, (only 50p for the nicest persian tea with mint, which coincidentally was a definite hangover cure!)
They have a special traditional dish every day as well as nice kebabs and wraps etc. Only a ten minute walk from the centre of town, this cafe is a must and I cant wait to get more work in Newcastle so I can go back to visit!

• Visited October 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The Best Persian Food In Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The service is excellent, the staff are lovely, the décor is wonderful. But none of this matters because the food is AMAZING. If your looking for some traditional Iranian food, a quick kebab or even a cooked breakfast then this is the place to go. I visit Moulin Rouge twice a week it is so good and all the Persian food is healthy and cheap. If your in Newcastle GO TO MOULIN ROUGE.

• Visited November 2012