“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Exclusive Weekend Savings
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Was in Newcastle for work and stayed one night and was impressed with the hotel. Welcoming staff, modern feel and the room was great. Had all the little luxuries for a comfortable night. Had a really quiet nights sleep. Nice breakfast selection. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Floor nine , great views
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear AdamPage,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we would love to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We felt the hotel fell short of its 4 stars. The rooms are small and lack the comforts you expect of a 4 star hotel. I would agree with other reviews stating the rooms are starting to look a bit tired. As the hotel is still fairly new I dread to think what they will be like in a year or two. On the plus side the hotel was clean, well situated and the staff were friendly and efficient. It is ok at the right price but certainly not what you expect from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room [less noise]
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear David R,

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

My boyfriend brought me here for a weekend break. Stayed here in a nice room in June. Good location practically on the doorstep of St. James Park. The welcome in reception was the best I've ever received in a hotel and staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel was clean, modern, and overall the facilities were great. The room was nice and quiet even though it was a busy weekend. The bed was comfortable, we had a great nights sleep. The bathroom was lovely.
Really good value for money.I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JoannaPhil,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. The hotel/reception staff are so lovely and welcoming. The room was a good size and very clean. The room was a bit rough around the edges and you could see it needed touched up with paint in some places. Breakfast was good and nice to eat in the restaurant area. One of my big complaints would be the free wifi was really unreliable. Hotel is in a very handy location for Eldon Square and shopping. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Landau83,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I thought the hotel looked really exclusive. The staff there were very nice & helpful especially the George Clarke lookalike. I would definitely stay here again. I did find the hotel quite expensive though but overall it was worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cathy B,

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on Friday 8th August as part of a birthday gift my sister had bought me. I was looking forward to a chilled day & then meeting friends for drinks & food later in the evening. The male receptionist was welcoming & helpful. The room was small but furnished to a good quality. One of the bedroom lights was noisy and I would have preferred a bath as well as a shower but they are my only criticisms of the facilities. Room service was prompt, both for a late lunch then desserts & hot chocolates later that evening. Evening meal & breakfast in Shark Club was lovely (I've written a separate review). I had a great night's sleep. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for business travellers, partygoers or those coming to watch football at St James. As it has no spa or gym facilities, it's not really a chill out hotel, so if you're looking for a luxury relaxation trip or a couples break then I'd say go elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie S,

Gateshead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

OK, firstly, the good points – the hotel has brilliant staff. The provision of a microwave and ironing board/iron was a nice touch. The bed is nice and firm and the shower is really good. We were able to leave our luggage when we checked out.

We stayed for two nights. First impressions of the room were good although all I did was dump the bags before going out for dinner. On our return to the room, we noticed lots of reddish/brownish stains on the carpet (I have tried to convince myself they weren’t blood but not sure it worked!) and the net curtains. By this point we were fairly tired and had unpacked so we didn’t want to switch rooms so we decided to put up with it.

When going to the toilet, we noticed that the glass bathroom door isn’t wide enough and leaves a fairly substantial gap for your roommate to see through! When using the toilet, be careful of the floating shelf which is stupidly positioned right above the toilet, meaning that I hit my head on more than one occasion causing some pretty impressive pain and expletives!

For a newish hotel, the rooms are already showing signs of great wear and tear – this clearly isn’t a hotel that keeps on top of its maintenance.

Parking is expensive and a pain, especially if there are no spaces in the car park opposite.
On our first night, we were awoken at 3 in the morning by a large group of men returning from a night out shouting down the corridor. After about ten minutes it went silent, only for it to happen again at 4am. This time I had to go out and tell them to keep the noise down. Why didn’t the night staff see what state this group were in when they came through reception? Other hotels I have been at escort people like this to their room to ensure they don’t wake any other residents. This happened again on the Saturday night.

Whilst I appreciate that this is a city centre hotel, the noise from the traffic outside was really loud. You could hear all of the traffic sitting at the traffic lights outside and all of the sirens that passed. The hotel needs to invest in better glazing.

One other thing, many hotels like you to re-use your towels in order to ‘save the environment’ whereby you place them on the floor if you would like them replaced, but if they are hung up, it is clear that you are happy to re-use them. We hung our towels up on our first morning, only to come back and find that they had been replaced! This is something the hotel should look at improving as it is an unnecessary waste of energy, time and money.

I would have liked to have mentioned these points when I checked out but the staff were so busy with queues, they didn’t ask how my stay was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor...it might help with the traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple