“Be warned about hidden costs at the end of the stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4SD, England   |
Special Offer
Exclusive Weekend Savings
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Be warned about hidden costs at the end of the stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Lovely hotel and friendly staff but with what they charged us after we had paid up front was astronomical could have gone on a week's holiday abroad for what they charged in hidden costs. For 3 days break we won't be stopping again.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week and was disappointed with the hotel. I stay in this hotel whenever I am in Newcastle on business, as I am normally relatively pleased with the service and it is close to where I work in the centre of Newcastle. I arrived about 10:45pm having just flown into Newcastle that evening, and was tired and wanted to get some sleep. When I was in my room I realised there was no iron or ironing board, so I rang down for room service and requested one. It took 40 minutes to arrive and they said they would bring it straight up and didn't mention a delay. I was disappointed with the service as I wanted to go to bed.

The room was cold, so I put the heating on (via the control panel on the wall) and the fans were very noisy, even after it had been on a while and therefore the room should have been up to temperature but it did not quieten down. This meant I had to keep turning the television up to hear it and I was conscious of others in the hotel who would want to sleep, so ended up switching off the television so as not to disturb others. When I tried to sleep, I had to switch the heating off as it was far too noisy, but then found I couldn't sleep as I was too cold. There were no extra blankets and the duvet was thin. This was now around 2am. I had to be up early for work the next day and wanted to be refreshed and awake as I had already had a long day. I had little sleep as I kept waking up cold. I didn't ring for room service as I was too tired and just wanted to get some sleep, also by the earlier experience I didn't want to have to wait a further 40 minutes for blankets.

I had ordered a room service breakfast as the receptionist had told me it was the same price as coming down to the restaurant. I ordered the continental, which was very expensive, when you consider that all that was listed on the door menu card was a hot drink of choice, a fruit juice of choice, fresh fruit and either toast, danish pastry or bagel. this was priced at £12.95 plus a £15% gratuity. Which I presume was added as they were delivering it to the room.

When breakfast arrived, it was attractively arranged on the tray, but was far too much for one person. I had 8 danish pastries, 2 apples, a bowl of fresh fruit salad, a huge glass of fruit juice and a pot of tea. Not what I ordered and no wonder it cost so much and what a waste who can eat all that - £17.28 was the bill. This included a £3 tray charge, when I challenged the waiter what this was for, he said it was for delivering the room service and was detailed on the room service order card. He then left. When I checked the card, there was no mention anywhere of a £3 room charge. I was also disappointed that the gratuity was added on, surely this is discretionary? when I crossed it out, it was then added again at the till - what is this for if it was not for delivering room service? Surely an explanation of these extra costs should be provided? The breakfast cost me an extra £4.33 more than I was expecting to pay which is already very expensive just for breakfast but I needed something to eat before starting work.

When I checked out of the hotel, I mentioned these problems to the receptionist. She had to go and check with the restaurant about the charges and they refused to refund anything. I mentioned the cold room and she said there was 24 hour room service and they could have swapped me into another room and because I didn't take advantage of this she couldn't refund anything....can you tell me how many single females travelling alone will want to change rooms at 2am or call for assistance with the heating at this time? I just wanted to get to sleep and get warm. In the end I had to just pay the bill as I was due at work and I had already been delayed 20 minutes while she went to the restaurant. I had wanted to speak to the hotel manager, but I was informed he/she was unavailable at that time.

I am unlikely to re-book at this hotel and being a regular business worker in Newcastle I will be looking for alternative accommodation as I do not want a repeat experience.

I am posting this so that others do not have to go through the same disappointing service as I have. Premier Inn, a budget hotel, as opposed to a boutique hotel, give a full refund if a good night's sleep is not achieved.Maybe I should look to book here next time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter and book a room away from the lift lobby areas as on prev...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear CityTravellerCR,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, I am sorry to learn of the experience you received during your time at the hotel. We value all feedback as crucial to enhancing our guest experience.

Could I please ask that you contact me direct at the hotel to discuss this matter further if at all possible.

Kind regards,

Kelly Murray
Manager In Training
London UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

High quality hotel right next to St James's Park . You don't expect US quality here , but this comes close to making a good effort
Downsides are hopeless parking facilities , I wonder when valet parking will arrive here ! Bar was also particularly crowded and unusable but would try again if we ever came back

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Booked a junior suite for 2 adults and a teenager, was more cramped than it looked on the website and the sofa bed was tiny. Needed more attention to detail with cleaning. Good rain shower in bathroom and main bed big and comfy. Staff really nice and put a lot of effort into looking after people taking part in the Great North Run which was nice, such as early breakfast, free maps, bottles of water, safety pins and bananas. Very trendy hotel across the road from St James Park.

• Stayed September 2013
carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in, went with a group of friends for a weekend away and from the minute we walked in to the minute we walked out we were made to feel like royalty, the staff were fantastic and very helpful. We were on the 10th floor and when we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised to find a decent sized kitchen area, a wardrobe, great sized beds (which were lovely and comfortable) and a lovely modern bathroom, the room was spotless. Free WiFi is always a bonus and complementary coffee and tea downstairs at reception was a lovely welcome. Definitely going back!

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend staying on the 10th floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gullane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed for one night on business, check in was great and when my room key did not work the very pleasant check in guy (from Belfast) took the time to ensure that it was working. Room was very nice, a little small but has everything you need, microwave and fridge would suit those on a tight budget. Bed was most comfortable once you removed the myriad of cushions. Shower was excellent with good quality toiletries and ample towels. Restaurant was a bit modern for me (giving my age away now) with TV surround screens everywhere and showing the latest footie which can be confusing for old gits as one screen was showing a live Man u game and the one next to me was showing a live Man City, thankfully they both won. Food was good and reasonably priced given the very central location. Breakfast is a buffet and was as good as a buffet can get but in my view cant beat a breakfast made to order. All staff were of the highest quality, I did however notice that although the hotel has only been open for a couple of years one or two bits of my room could do with a tidy up through general wear and tear. Very clean though.

Room Tip: As the sound proofing is so good it does not really matter which room you chose, the aircon can howe...
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is adjacent to the Newcastle ground and very centrally located. It is essentially a sports bar with a hotel attached. The rooms are very comfortable, if a little bizarre given that most have kitchenettes in them and come with free wifi (hooray), decent bathroom lighting and plumbing that works. The breakfast area is said sports bar. The coffee is good, but the breakfast is disappointing in its quality and the staff have to work hard to keep the tables from disintegrating into a sticky mess. But what staff they have. Nothing is too much trouble, they have ready smiles, winning ways and top jokes and they lift this hotel from the not quite up to the mark to the I'd like to go back category. Its management should be proud of them. Bit of smoothing of rough edges required (more wiping of tables, laundered napkins instead of scrunched ones, better quality breakfast, more regular upkeep of the sports bar environment) but good.

Room Tip: Not over the extractor fan to the kitchen! Have a room at the rear when a match is on
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!