“Good central location but rooms cramped and heating rubbish” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4SD, England   |
Offers & Announcements
Ultimate Shopping Package
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Good central location but rooms cramped and heating rubbish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Great central location right next to football stadium , near university and shops. Staff on check in very friendly but although room looks contemporary it is cramped and has too much furniture in it. The aircon/ heating system was noisy and inefficient. We needed a double and a twin room so had to upgrade and up the cost to get a twin room - this turned out to be a lovely big room with a full kitchen well worth the extra £20.
Breakfast in the bar was tasty and had lots of choice but pretty much everyone had to wait for eggs and a number of the other choices kept running out too. I had to help myself to glasses from behind the bar for juice. Simply not enough staff.
Wish I had read the other reviews before we booked it! Will probably try elsewhere for next visit

• Stayed February 2013
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Becky C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with ourselves at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. We are pleased to learn of the high ratings which you attributed to our cleanliness, service and location. I will be delighted to share with our reception team your kind remarks regarding the check in staff. I am sorry that the heating system was noisy and inefficient within your allocated room. We do supply additional portable heaters to guests on a request basis should they require same. During your stay we unfortunately experienced some operational challenges regarding staffing numbers for breakfast however, I am happy to advise these have been fully addressed. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Paul Smith - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time I have stayed at the Sandman and that alone speaks volumes. This last time, I stayed on the 10th floor which has only recently been opened. A few small issues, like the telephones not working on first night (soon rectified) and an electrical buzzing noise from the bathroom. The assistant manager Kelly was worth her weight in gold and offered to relocate me (I was in my pyjamas and didn't want the hassle) but I know I am fussy (worked in a lead role for quality in the public sector...so I just am) but I was made to feel very special...not just a whinger,
Is a beautiful and friendly hotel....meals were palatable but have had better. The Geordie smile and friendliness have win me over...and will definately 100% stay again. My advice for future travellers.....if you have any issue...just tell them. They will sort for you. Thank you Kelly and staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the warm and friendly team. I will be sure to share your kind words directly with Kelly who will be delighted that you will be returning again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed and again does not disappoint. Had lunch in gastrobistro, chicken Thai stir fry was delicious. Very good value when booking in advance, also opposite st james football ground so ideal for watching the game. Will come again and again!

Dear Syd1973,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay with ourselves at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. We loved your picture of our Shark Club chicken Thai stir fry which definitely is one of my personal favourites too. Our excellent location next to St. James Park is indeed extremely convenient and our advance purchase rates are great value. Thank you for your continued business we truly appreciate your loyalty, the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

A new and very modern hotel situated directly opposite St James Park stadium; home of Newcastle United football club. Although the hotel attracts a largely business oriented customer it has a very strange look and feel to it that frankly I didnt like; but ultimately it may come down to personal taste. The interior design, furnishings, decor are very odd - very modern, lots of glass, chrome, black trimmings and strange ornaments, e.g. the lifesize black horse in the lobby with a lampshade on it's head - certainly quirky. I am sure it will all appeal to many but not me I'm afraid - I found the whole thing a bit pretentious and 'clinical'. The bar is very dark with countless TV's on the walls playing non-stop football from dawn to dusk and has a kind of 'night club' feel to it. It gets packed with a largely male crown (non-resident) soaking up the football, beer and...........well, 'scenary'. The bar staff and waitresses are all of a certain type and the bar is clearly trying to have the look and feel of the 'Hooters' experience - but in a hotel frequented by both male and female business types? Very odd and to be honest not really appropriate - difficult to use for evening meals etc due to the football crown so almost forced to pop out for refreshments. Rooms are also very modern, new and a bit over done for my liking but the showers/wet room are excellent! I'm not saying this is a bad hotel - staff very efficient/friendly, good facilities, very clean, very good breakfast - although served in the 'night club' - its just that I'm not sure what its trying to be, who it sets out to please and ultimately I didnt like it and wouldnt use it again for either business or leisure; unless organising a 'stag party'!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear DenningHertfordshire,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent visit with ourselves. We view all feedback be it complimentary or indeed critical as crucial to enhancing our commitment to customer service and hospitality. We were delighted to learn that you found the team very efficient and friendly coupled with your observations regarding our good facilities, excellent wet rooms, cleanliness and very good breakfast.

I am sorry that our décor and design was not to your individual preference. Our Shark Club concept has proved exceptionally successful for our company with some ten units trading within the UK and Canada. We understand your personal sentiments however, are disappointed that these outweigh the numerous positives which you detail in relation to your intentions to return again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

A very pretty and well maintained hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpfull in all situations. However, the rooms are very cold in winter and the heater/air conditioner is very noisy, it sounds like a helicopter and it is improssible to sleep when it is on. But if you turn it off at night the room gets very cold by the morning - I woke up when it was 10 degrees in the room.
The breakfast is good and tasty, but a little bit overpriced - about £12.
The atmosphere in the bar at night is really nice - tasty cocktails and good food, however there are TVs everywhere that are a bit distracting.

Room Tip: Ask for an extra heater in winter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location great staff rooms clean and tidy only thing I didn't like was no bath other than that no faults what so ever would recommend to friends and family staff were great as I left items in the room they posted them to me free of charge

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

New hotel with all the quirks. Basic rooms are very small, and quite dark inside due to tinted windows but very trendy. Shower/wet room can be a bit of a shock as the showers are so powerful and water gets everywhere.
Comfy beds, hotel is good location for shopping and football. On the whole, Good value for money and clean.
Sports bar downstairs is very much a 'gentlemans' bar!!!
Taxi service to the Metro arena was excellent. Collected from the lobby by suited driver. very professional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!