“Nice Hotel, Nice Food, Noisy Location” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4SD, England   |
Special Offer
Ultimate Shopping Package
north shields
“Nice Hotel, Nice Food, Noisy Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I booked this hotel with the romance package as a special treat for my Husband's 40th birthday.

We were both very impressed when we walked through the entrance as it is very modern. We only had to wait a few seconds before being invited to check in. The check in was reasonably swift and the staff were very friendly.

The corridors are also very impressive and the multi coloured carpet makes the corridors somewhat unique to another other hotel. When we entered our room I immediately understood why so many reviews on Tripadvisor for this hotel were saying that the room was small. It is a rather compact room but still plenty of space for the two of us.

The bed even had a sitting area at the bottom of it, but this did seem rather pointless as you would sit on the bed. However, it did proof a very good dumping ground for our coats and bags as there was nowhere else to put them.

On the subject of storage I was very disappointed to find that this was another hotel who did not value the need for a wardrobe, instead you were given a rather pathetic 4 pegs (exactly like coat hanging pegs) with 4 coat hangers. Not really adequate for hanging our dresses/suits etc etc. Also, there was very little options for storing undewear so I opted to keep this in my suitcase. This wasn't a problem as we were only staying one night but if you were there for a week on business it could proof a bit of an obstacle.

I was greatly ashamed to see that one of the net curtains in the room was getting mouldy at the bottom. This is certainly not the standard of cleanliness I expected when paying the price of the hotel room, this is probably due to the poor choice of glazing as the windows were all coated in condensation. They were also unable to block out the noise from the traffic and people outside.

The romance package gave an extra of a bottle of champagne and red rose. We pretty swiftly opened the champagne (they do provide the flutes too) which was delicious and didn't last very long. We did manage to get 3 glasses each out of the bottle (75cl) so that was perfectly adequate.

The television seems a little small compared to some rooms but not exactly a deal breaker. I did like the fact that as soon as you turn the television on it displays information about the hotel before then changing to your channel, very clever.

The hotel room also had a very interesting book providing all sorts of information on Newcastle and the North East.

My main complaints about the hotel feature around the bed, pillows and location. I found the bed uncomfortable and the pillow too flat for my liking. The location of the hotel means that there is a heavy amount of traffic constantly and with the Shark bar being on the ground floor of the hotel too you are also disturbed in the early hours of the morning by the clientele leaving. I was woken at 2am by people singing and shouting and again at 6am by more singing. This was something I expected the hotel to have taken into consideration and choose suitable double glazing to block out this noise, but as I have mentioned earlier the windows are not as they should be.

The breakfast was served in the Shark bar downstairs and you would never have guessed that this same bar had been used for drinking the night before, the cleanliness could not be faulted. Breakfast was included in the package that I choose otherwise I would never have paid the extortionate charge for this (I believe it is £15 per person). The breakfast was the same standard as that at a Premier Inn and there are cheaper options available nearby. I think this was reflected by the fact that there was only 1 other guest who joined us at breakfast time and judging by the list the staff had for lunch there were only a handful of guests staying for breakfast. Perhaps this is something the hotel needs to address very quickly.

All of the staff we spoke to were very friendly and attentive and the hotel was very nice in decoration but I do not see this hotel having a long life span in Newcastle. It already falls far below the standard of the Malmaison and Hilton hotels in the city. Also, there are many other boutique hotels available nearby with slightly more reasonable rates and better facilities.

I would advise people if they are a looking for a nice hotel for a special occasion in Newcastle this is probably your second/third option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went down to Newcastle for the weekend to watch a Newcastle United football match and stayed at this hotel across the road from St. James Park. Loved the room, lovely decor, speedy wi-fi and nice shower. The cooked breakfast was fantastic and the bar was something else.

I didn't know there were Hooter-type bars in the UK until we walked into the bar in the evening. Quite an experience. The hotel is within walking distance of the city centre and China Town so entertainment in the evening is no problem. All in all, a nice hotel and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here a few weeks ago. Between us I saw all 3 types of room; King, studio and suite. They were all of excellent size, with modern decor. The only thing id pick on is that I don't think the rooms have been finished to the greatest quality...I'd imagine the fixtures and fittings may wear and age pretty quickly. My room also wasn't as clean as it could/should have been...there were bits on the carpet and a couple of hairs in the bathroom! The bed was really comfy though and the staff were welcoming and helpful.

Location was great (we were West Brom away fans), not only for the football, walking into the town centre where all the shops took about 5 mins.

My mother and auntie took the benefit of the shopping package that i'd booked the room under direct with the hotel (Fenwicks voucher) which they loved!!

There is a sports bar attached to the hotel/part of the hotell. For bar food it was really good, we tried several things on the menu...the portion of nachos that turned up was the largest i've ever seen in my life!! very friendly staff too.

Lovely entrance, hotel reception. Would definitely reccommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing St James Park for a better view, honest :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lichfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had an overnight stay in this hotel on Friday night (9th Nov). It is situated opposite Newcastle United football stadium. Our room was described as a king room, but it was surprisingly small. Although it did not feel claustrophobic due to the large windows which did open, the bed was very comfortable and the en suite was very much in the style of a Swedish wet room. There were however, a few negatives, the radiator was extremely noisy although particularly efficient, we ordered some food from the room service menu; they missed off the condiments which we requested, and these would have been appreciated since some of food tended to be a bit dry. Car parking is available but the hotel charge £8 per night, if however if you choose to use another car park if will cost you a lot less as there is no charge between 6 pm and 8 am. One of my pet hates is synthetic filled pillows, I do realise that I am probably in a minority, but I do prefer feather pillows, this hotel does not offer pillow preference so if you do prefer your natural pillows bring your own.

Room Tip: Keep luggage to a minimum as the rooms are quite small
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Found the hotel to be very clean, modern, and beautifully decorated. Staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful, and also gave us a complimentary upgrade due to us celebrating our engagement. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and will certainly be staying here again. Even without the upgrade this hotel offers excellent value considering its location.

• Stayed November 2012
co durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here for one night when visiting Newcastle to watch Michael McIntyre at the arena.Brilliant show by the way! Arrived early but checked in staight away as they had rooms ready. We were on the 8th floor overlooking St James park . The room was small but very modern and clean with everything you need. You get the normal tea coffee facilities but you also get a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was very modern with wet room but the negative for me was no bath. Good toiletries. The location was very good close to the shops and many eating places.This also proved to be a down side too as our room was on the road side and you could hear the traffic noise quite alot hence a good nights sleep was not had. I would stay here again but would request a room away from the road even though you would not get the impressive views. A good nights sleep is more important! Another thing to point out is there is no mirror on the wall where the dressing table is which proved difficult to dry my hair.All in all it is a very modern hotel pleasing to the eye on the inside especially the entrance area.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper request a room that doesn't overlook St James Park!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Spent 1 night here and the hotel was welcoming and staff to. Stayed on 8th floor overlooking ST. James Park, room was smaller than most I've stayed in but was fine for my wife and I. There was a lot of road noise and sirens also as this is not too far away from the hospital, also guests made a noise in the early hours so didn't sleep too well. Hotel is well located and I liked the fact you could help yourself to hot drinks in reception. Never ate in the hotel as it was £11.95 each for breakfast if you pre booked and £16.95 each if you didn't. I would probably stay here again but away from roadside even though you would miss out on the views. Friendly staff though. Fridge and microwave in the king room a nice touch to!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!