“Great vista with a lovely homemade lunch” 5 of 5 stars

+44(0)191 2290326
Website
Improve this listing
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Great vista with a lovely homemade lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This pub is right on the banks of the river Tyne just west of Newcastle on a main cycle route and popular riverside walk. Having grown up around his area I know of the Boathouse but had never eaten there. They advertise Lunch from 12-6 weekdays and 12-4 I think on weekends and state their food is homemade so when taking my Mother for lunch on a glorious day I thought we'd drop by. There are loads of picnic benches in really pretty grounds and you have an amazing view of the Tyne and countryside and the rowing club. We had a really great lunch, cottage pie with chips and veg and scampi and all the trimmings. Homemade chips were a treat and to finish we had a slab of ridiculously moist carrot cake with a great cup of coffee. All for under 20 quid including a couple of lemonades. The girl who served us was very friendly and polite and most importantly had a smile on her chops, sad to say but this is rarity these days and she well dissevered the tip we left. I'll definitely be back and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, especially for an al fresco lunch.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

14% Recommend
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Sad and miserable owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

The staff are a bit flat here and I thing it must come from the owner who when I asked a waitress who the miserable bloke working at the bar was told me it was the owner.

Fine if you want a quick bar meal.