“Birthday lunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Prestwick Road | Dinnington, NearNewcastle Upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 7AG, England
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Wanted to try a different venue so drove over from Morpeth for mid week lunch.
Nice dining area, good choice on menu and friendly staff so off to a good start.
Food was very good but overloaded with veg. Decent wine and overall very pleased with choice.
Our feedback on veg issue was appreciated on leaving so will definitely try again with family.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A truly unrivalled experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I don't usually write reviews on hotels or restaurants that I have been to but upon visiting The White Swan, I felt obliged. Myself, my wife and her mother went for an afternoon lunch on Tuesday as we were passing after some plant shopping. I had always heard good things about the place but had never found time to try it for myself. More fool me for leaving it so long.

We pulled into the busy car park and were welcomed with the picturesque beer garden. This is like no other. I’ve seen some places class a beer garden as a plant in a pot with a couple of chairs and tables but this place is THE beer garden of all beer gardens. My mother in law particularly admired the plants noting how much work the gardener must put in and the money that must go into it. We were later told that it gets even better in the summer, one of many incentives to return.

We were greeted by a friendly face on the counter and even though we hadn’t booked we were told to follow the very polite waiter to a table in the newly built orangery. The place looked fantastic, by the way. Modern and fresh without losing identity as so often happens with refurbishments. Our drinks order was taken and we were told about the specials.

A different waitress brought our drinks back and took our order. I went for the black pudding and pepper sauce starter and the minted lamb steak for my main. My wife tried the soup and the gluten free sticky chicken and my mother in law opted for a prawn cocktail and the sweet chilli chicken baguette because she didn’t want a huge meal.

Whilst I waited for the starters, we discussed why we hadn’t been here sooner. On a side note, my black sheep bitter was lovely and smooth. A short wait and our starters were in front of us. My black pudding was absolutely stunning. The rich flavour was complemented by the pepper sauce. My mother in law’s prawn cocktail looked smashing on the eye, too. My wife’s soup was piping hot and said it had a real homemade flavour to it and the rustic bread on the side was used to soak it up.

The waiter took our starters and directed my wife to the toilets. When she returned she was in awe! I still don’t think she’s over them, saying: ‘they’re fit for the Queen’. Praise indeed.
Our main courses came in great time, even though the restaurant was almost full. My lamb steak was unlike any steak I’ve ever tasted. Tender and juicy and smothered in mint gravy, even typing this makes me want another one mmmm. The potatoes and vegetables were fresh and hot, just how they should be. My wife’s sticky chicken looked immaculate. She usually struggles when dining out for something to satisfy her gluten allergy, not here though. She absolutely loved the dish and is looking forward to trying the other options. My mother in law, shall we say, is not easily pleased. She’s from a generation where homemade cooking was key and still holds these high expectations. I breathed a sigh of relief, then, when she bit into her sweet chilli chicken baguette and smiled. She said the chicken was tender and the sweet chilli sauce was so flavoursome. The baguette itself, she could tell, was home baked. Doughy and floury, she enjoyed every mouthful. It also came with chips, which she loved.

I wasn’t planning on having a sweet but couldn’t help myself from trying the crumble. Not to my surprise, it was lovely. I could tell it wasn’t bought in and it just put the icing on the cake on what was a really enjoyable afternoon. The bill was brought over to our table and came back working out less than £10 each. For a starter, main course and drink each and one pudding, I thought this was excellent value for money. On our way out, we were bid farewell by the smiling staff.

Attentive floor staff, beautiful food in exceptional surroundings! I live in the area and can without a doubt say that The White Swan is better than anywhere else around. I can’t wait to go back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Bake them in the oven, Basil!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Oh dear, what an awful time I had. From the outside, the White Swan seems like a lovely place to go for lunch - and then I had the misfortune to venture further inside and experience the appalling food and even worse service!
I popped (or so I thought) in for a lunch time sandwich, ordered almost straight away and then proceeded to wait for over half an hour for my ‘meal’. The waiting staff were clearly over-worked and what made my wait even more infuriating was that I had been assured that I would not have to wait long for food even though it seemed as though the place was full of a couple of coach parties of pensioners.
When the ‘food’ did finally arrive I wished I had gone with my initial instinct and left. I was presented with a rubbery baguette that had clearly been microwaved, with a filling which was at least one third fat. Fortunately the sandwich came with a knife and fork so I was able to cut off the indigestible extras. Unfortunately, due to the slow service I was already running late and had no time to complain. My wife, however, did dare to criticise the quality of her food and rather than her feedback being dealt with in a professional and adult manner, she was instead harangued by the owner/manager in a pretty repulsive and quite aggressive way.
If you want to hang around for over twice the promised wait time and pay £7 for a micro-waved baguette and then be condescended and insulted when you raise it with the Basil Fawlty-style management then the White Swan is the place for you. If you want reliable, honest service and good quality, skilfully produced food then it most certainly is not!

Visited April 2014
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Good beer garden however staff say no dogs allowed in beer garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

This is a fair pub with a great beer garden with plenty of parking. Decor is new inside, prices not unreasonable for drinks.

However a member of staff had a go at me and my mother for having our dog with us. He was using modern day litigation nonsense claimimg if a child came close to our dog and fell over we would be held liable.

Sad thing is we had a good time until this and had kids and pensioners admiring our dog asking what breed and how old he was.

First pub Ive ever been to that doesnt allow dogs in a beer garden, even tied to the table with a lead. Complete and Utter Nonsense.

Visited April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience all round.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Really lovely restaurant, with wonderful staff and amazing fish and chips!!!
Also great with my daughter and outside eating/drinking Area is second to none!
Would recommend to all and will be returning

• Visited April 2014