“Out for Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Falcon's Nest offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Blyth, England, United Kingdom
“Out for Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been to the Falcons Nest quite a few times- But today was somehow different. I have had mixed meals- I have on occasion sent meals back.
Today the whole experience was Very good-shown to you seat- waiter there to take drink order and great table service. My Dad ordered Fish and chips and I had the Beef Sunday roast.
The food was very good and the Veg that came with the Roast was Very well presented. A good mix and not just the normal Peas & sweet corn and mash.- everything seemed freshly cooked and very tasty.-
There is a greatly reduced menu and I think this has helped with time scales from order to table.
If I have one complaint, its that they charge you a £1 for extra large chips and the same for cauliflower cheese. Not sure what that is all about. I think £10 for a Sunday lunch and fish & chips is enough to pay. It is a Good quality Meal and the service is Very Good and the staff are lovely...even putting up with my 83 Year old Dad's little ways.- I think the Pub is part of a chain- but they need to rethink the stealth payment's on Chips.
Anyway- Good lunch good Service- Good Pub.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed at the next door Travelodge for a couple of nights and found the pub nice and handy for drinks and food Fish&chips excellent& large portions, black sheep bitter very nice !
Went for breakfast sunday morning also very good
Staff friendly & will go again when I am in the area

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rob A, Manager at The Falcons Nest, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank for your kind comment! Glad you enjoyed your visit!

All the team at The Falcons Nest
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Wish it was better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is our local and we visit fairly often so we sincerely wish it was better. They have real ales, quite a few of them but ask for 'real' cider and you are offered a fruit one or a Strongbow. If only they'd keep just one good one on tap. Then the meals are pretty mediocre. I appreciate that they create the food somewhere away from the pub and it is delivered half ready so the 'chefs' do not actually create the food or the menus but their salads are very poor with a side salad consisting of a few small baby leaves and then one large leaf which is way too big to fit in the bowl. Not even a slice of tomato or pepper added to it.

I had prawn cocktail and it was a handful of prawns swimming in the Rose Marie sauce on 3 large unsliced lettuce leaves. It could have been put together by a 3 year old. I also had their 'soup of the day' and was told that it was Spring Vegetable, it was a pale orange liquid that had a slight carroty flavour so I guess that carrots were the spring veg of the day.

I am sorry to say that the food here is getting worse not better and the choice of drinks isn't improving either. Please think about what you are doing, you are our local and we want to visit you but are becoming bored with your poor food and drinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lunch time meeting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Visited the Falcons nest pub again, 3 rd visit here. Very handy for motorway and parking easy. Typical pub food, nice helpful staff and would return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
“Extremely poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

First off, the red wine was brought up from the cellar and far too cold. The starter was OK but took a long time due to some technical apparatus faults in kitchen. We kept getting updates on the problems. After a long time waiting the gammon was served in an unacceptable non cooked state. When I called the waitress, she agreed it was not cooked as normal. I was not informed In was not going to get an egg and had to accept tinned pineapple.

As the food was awful, the wine wrong temperature and the experience very poor indeed, we spoke with the Manager and needed to "walk out". As there are no other non hotel restaurants in the area we ended up buying sandwiches as the local garage convenience store.

The apologies were weak in delivery and not really showing the right level of regret if she was wearing " the customer's clothes.

Other diners were also heard complaining.
This experience was out of the

Visited February 2014
Rob A, Manager at The Falcons Nest, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hi Keith,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience at our pub on Saturday.
The technical difficulties you're referring to, is that we had no gas supply to our kitchen as one of the fans had a fault , causing the gas to 'cut off''. As a result of only 25% of the menu being chargrilled, it was unanimous that the kitchen would stay open, but all guests were told the menu would be limited.
In regards to your wine, with a mass amount of unpredicted trade, stock depleted quickly and was replenished with stock from the cellar.
I'm disappointed that you feel you were not treat with the level of regreat you needed, and for that I sincerely apologise and can assure that if you return your experience would be entirely different.
If you wish to speak to me further regarding this please call me on 0191 2367078.

Kind Regards