“The Dene Hotel is nice now!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dene Hotel

You added Dene Hotel to your Saves list
Dene Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-42 Grosvenor Road, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2RP, England   |
glasgow
“The Dene Hotel is nice now!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My friends and I go down to the Great North Run every year. We've started tom stay at the Dene Hotel. We find Paul and his staff/family are very friendly and go out of their way to make you welcome.
The rooms are clean and compact and the showers are perfect. I noticed the last review, a bad one, was from 2006. Well, things have changed since then definitely for the better! We're all looking forward to our next visit - some of us have already booked for next September!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

For my annual weekend trip to Newcastle I had the mis-fortune of booking accommodation for myself and a mate at The Dene Hotel in Jesmond.
From the outside the hotel looks like it is in need of repair and the inside is no better.
The rooms were very basic, the bedside lights didn't work, the remote control for the television had been lost/stolen, the 'night porter' was as about much use as a plastic fire-guard. He could be found either asleep or sat in the hotel lobby watching the television all night.
The second night at the hotel was horrendous. After having had a good night out with my mates in newcastle City Centre I returned to my room for a good night's sleep only to find that the hotel had been over-run by a group of inconsiderate animals. doors were constantly being banged, there was shouting between the other parties, drugs and guns were mentioned and the ironing board was thrown down the landing on several occassions. Things got so bad that I decided to pack my bags and sleep on the sofa in the lobby. The 'night porter' still did nothing despite my complaint......if I could have got a train home there and then I would have. Even in the lobby I could still hear the rabble upstairs. The 'night porter' claims he had approached them several times....complete rubbish!!! This noise went on from 3am until at least 5am.
When approached by other decent patrons in the morning the night porter stated that he 'wasn't getting involved'.
The only good point about the hotel was the breakfast and I'd like to thank the lady who served the breakfast that morning for her concern and apologies...she deserves to work elsewhere.
If you are planning to go to Newcastle then my advice would be that there are cheaper, cleaner hotels where the staff don't tolerate such inconsiderate behaviour from selfish scum and STAY AWAY from The Dene Hotel !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

was up in newcastle with a few work mates hoping to enjoy a nice weekend a way .most got another hotel down the road. Two of the party ended up at the dene the first night not to bad the second made faulty towers look good with lad's and lassses running a muck throwing an ironing board up and down the landing shouting and and running all over the place banging doors until 05.00hrs. drugs were mentioned at more than one point i would have called the police but felt for one night what the hell.
my work mate spent the night on the sofa in reception it was that bad and in the morning when i complained i was met by the words you didnt complain last night it would have been good if the night porter would have picked up the phone .we got one room free for the noise but had to pay for the other.
if the managment would like more information please contact me mr mcgovern you have my address in your files and you should do if nothing else to appolgise as your staff let you down .Dont worry we will be back to newcastle but not to the dene and if you think iam being hard about this hotel forgive me because i have had time to think and as such have left a lot of the other bad points of the night out .
Just one point
can i thank the lady on sunday morning who serevd breakfast and tried her best to appolgise but to little to late

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

My friends and I decided to go around Newcastle on a night out a few weeks back and after ringing loads of hotels in and around Newcastle trying to get a triple room for one night, without any success whatsoever, we managed to stumble upon this hotel. They offered what we we're wanting at a reasonable price, with breakfast also thrown in which we saw as a bonus, or not as we later discovered.

The good points about the hotel; the staff we're extremely friendly and chatty and made us feel right at home. The hotel is located down a quiet street off the main road which goes through Jesmond which is a welcome perk, seen as the main road is home to numerous swanky bars and loud punters. The room was pretty big and easily accommodated 3 people.

The bad points about the hotel; the exterior of the hotel does not look that appealing and with it being painted exactly like every other house/building on the street (a thick coat of white), you could easily blink and drive straight past it. Even though the bathroom was clean, there was no complimentary soap or shampoo which I know isn't a massive issue, but when you have to dig out your toiletry bag and use your shower gel as soap every time you want to wash your hands and face, it tends to be a bit of a pain. Lastly and the main 'bad' point of our stay was indeed the breakfast. The choice was there - cereal, full english fry up, tea, coffee, fruit juice etc. and all of these we're fine, apart from the fry up which others will agree on, is the main part of your breakfast when staying in a hotel. The food being served was horrible, both the presentation and the taste. I could elaborate but I feel there is no need as the word 'horrible' paints you a clear enough picture.

Anyway, to sum up; if you're wanting to go around Newcastle for the night (which I must say was a fantastic experience!) and need a hotel for the night, then this place I would recommend - quiet location, clean & excellent staff, but expect to pay around £6 in a taxi every time you go to or from the Centre and if you happen to wake up the next morning feeling rather hungry, you should check out and eat your breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

First impression I thought reception could have done with a bit of TLC.
The bedroom was small but adequate. It was clean and plenty of hangers in the wardrobe and dressing table and full length mirror.
I couldnt get the TV to work and rang down to the male receptionist. He came up within two minutes and was very helpful. In fact all the staff were very efficient, friendly and courteous.
Breakfast - self-serve juice and cereal. English breakfast to order which was very tasty quick and hot.
Overall I would say it was a very nice place to stay and will definitely go again.
West Jesmond metro was an easy walk away and a bus to the town centre could be caught from nearby Osborne Road.
Osborn Road is only a few minutes away and has plenty of bars/resturants which have heaters outside.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Gjøvik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed with a friend in this hotel in July 2010. The main purpose of our trip was shopping and relaxing. We both would rather spend money on shopping than on staying somewhere fancy, and we decided to give Dene Hotel a try. We are really glad we did! The hotel is situated in a residential area in Jesmond, right outside downtown Newcastle. The closest metro is West Jesmond, about half a mile from the hotel. A bit far if you are carrying a lot, but otherwise an easy walk through the suburban streets. On the way you pass through an area with a couple of cafes and shops, which is very convenient. There are also some good places to eat and drink nearby, and the lovely Jesmond Dene park is just down the road.

The hotel itself is quite small, and we enjoyed good and personal service from the staff, who were very friendly. We each had a single bedroom, and were pleased to find them very clean and with enough room to move around (even after our crazy shopping sprees). Breakfast was very good and cooked to order. We had heard some tales about these inexpensive hotels as being a prime location for noisy stag- or hen parties, but there were none at our hotel during our stay at least. All-in-all we had a very nice stay, and found the hotel very reasonable for the level of service we got. I can whole-heartedly recommend this place to travelers looking for somewhere unpretentious but nice and clean.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
BALLYMONEY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Stayed in better but also a lot worse. Mostly friendly staff, night barman a real friendly funny guy. Triple rooms very tight, but when in Newcastle sleeping only a distraction. That said leather two seater in reception was particulary comfortable.Try the Cricket Club close by for a shandy, and the Lonsdale at west jesmond station for a good football debate and a rack of pool. Should you visit central Newcastle The Fluid Bar a must, but beware The Gate after midnight, can be an eye closing experience. Will definately be back in Newcastle, but would stay more centrally next time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!