“Great, but improvements needed...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison Newcastle

Save Saved
You added Malmaison Newcastle to your Saves list
Malmaison Newcastle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newcastle Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3DX, England   |
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great, but improvements needed...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent a night at this hotel as part of a Thomas Cook Football Package. It is located about a mile or so from the railway station, but well served by taxis.

Check in was quick and we had a room overlooking the Millennium Bridge. The room was massive, huge comfy bed and a lovely bathroom. As the hotel is a bit out of town we had dinner in the Brasserie. We'd booked a table for 9pm, but it was a very busy Saturday and wasn't ready so we had cocktails in the bar while we waited. The food was excellent and we followed up with more cocktails.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic, we waited ages for our table and the service was not as good as it had been for dinner. Similarly, we had to queue to check out, and everything felt a bit disorganised.

In all the hotel is lovely, on that occasion the service was a bit lacking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

916 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

One of my favourite hotels, decided to do a spa and dinner stay, was really very impressed, the spa treatments, Indian head massage was my choice, was very relaxing and using sauna and relaxation room was terrific, then having dinner in brasserie, I was disappointed with the service at first, and expressed this then this was corrected by great service, however billing at end then was an uncomfortable issue, however that too was corrected.

Next morning breakfast was second to none, then after I did make my concerns regarding service to the reception who immediately summoned the manager, who frankly couldn't be more helpful, and gave me a very kind gesture to make up for any disappointment I had felt, so again The Mal continues in its high standards of service reputation and just a fantastic place to stay/relax/enjoy.

Room Tip: River view is amazing!.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Workington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just returned from a lovely wekend at Malmaison. It was the first time we have stayed there (we usually stay closer to the railway station) so wasn't sure what to expect. We needent have worried it was a lovely hotel. The room was really nice and very spacious. It had a view overlooking the river which was nice as of all the times we have stayed in Newcastle we've never seen the river lit up at night so that was a treat. The only thing I would grumble about is I found the mattress a little too frim so I didn't sleep very well but that is just personal choice. Considering our room was on the front of the hotel, I was surprised how quiet it was. The decor was very nice and tidy, the public areas are quite dark (the decor is purple, plum and deep red) also the lighting is quite low to add to the ambiance The only meal we had there was breakfast which was lovely. Good selection of cold items, then hot food cooked to order. Really sets you up for the day. Being on the Quayside the hotel is a good 10/15 minute walk into town and it is up 2 quite steep hills, however there is a bus stop 2 minutes from the hotel and buses run every 10 minutes, also there are plenty of taxi's. On a Saturday night the bar is extremely busy early in the evening (people obviously meet there before going into town) and we struggled to get a seat at half nine! But within half an hour or so it had thinned out considerably. I have to say every member of staff was so helpful and friendly they really are an asset to the hotel. One thing I did notice was that none of the staff wore name badges so you couldn't call them by their name or mention any of them personally on the comment cards. I would definatly stay here again and would have no hesitation in reccomending to family and friends. It is a little more expensive than I normally would pay but for the location and quality it is worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
East Lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Given a large double room to accommodate our 2 children under 5 as well which was very spacious and perfect for our needs.
The hotel itself was very smart and clean and the food was lovely. It would be nice if they had a children's menu but we managed to choose food which was reasonably child friendly. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
Free wi-fi too although the coverage was patchy in places.
View over the Tyne and Millennium Bridge was fantastic!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hartlepool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I love this place and have stayed here many, many times over the years , always trying to get a Quayside view which is mesmerising especially if by the Millennium Bridge . Lovely food in brasserie and the bar is a favourite and having seen a few celebs there over the years is interesting place to people watch . Had my 40th Birthday here a few years ago and it made the occasion , especially as the bar stayed open until 5 a.m. when the last few stragglers left. The only slightly negative experience I have had was last time I stayed last August and the room was impossibly hot and I couldn't sleep as well as a film of white dust all over the room when I woke in the morning . I very much hope that the next time I treat myself it is as perfect as it has been all the other occasions .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

stayed here 1 nite,love the this chain of hotels,breakfast very good.it over looks the bridge which looks fab at nite,close to restaurants and bars not far from shops.rooms are gorge purple, silver decor ,i love the colour scheme but if you like bright decor this might not be for you,but really give it a go you will love it.staff always helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: ask for a room at front over looking the bridge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I would just like to express my gratitude and commend two excellent members of staff, David (manager) and Dale. After booking through booking.com 11 months in advance i thought everything was sorted for our break to Newcastle. Whilst making the journey from York my husband (who was not with me) tried to call and pay for my room only to be informed that booking.com had cancelled the 3 rooms we had booked !!!!!!!

Had it not been for David and Dale who promtly sorted the rooms out for us with no fuss at all and made us feel extremely at ease and very welcome we would have been stranded in Newcastle with no where to stay. Nothing was too much trouble and everything wasdealt with in a very professional manner. Thank you again, looking forward to our next visit .

Room Tip: upgrade to an executive twin.. rooms extremely spacious.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Malmaison Newcastle? Share your experiences!