“Great Hotel, worth a trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surtees Hotel

You added Surtees Hotel to your Saves list
Surtees Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12-18 Dean Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1PG, England   |
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, worth a trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed at The Surtees Hotel on a business trip and was wary after reading reviews on this site, I contacted the hotel to check with them and was informed they were undergoing a large refurbishment and guaranteed one of their Superior rooms which had just been finished.
The stay was extremely pleasant from start to finish, I received a very warm welcome and the check in was very quick and efficient. My room was lovely, very clean and modern. It had a large very clean bathroom and the beds were so comfy.
My breakfast the following day was delicious and very well priced at only £5 for a full English breakfast. I could help myself to as much coffee, juice and cereal as I liked. I found this very good value as I have stayed in lots of hotels with work and found myself paying upwards of £8 for the same thing.
Anyone with concerns after reading the other reviews on this site should not worry, as the hotel was one of the best I’ve stayed at in Newcastle and will defiantly book again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
ThePtarmiganScotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Newcastle is not the easiest city to find a decent, reasonably priced hotel. The good ones charge more than even in London, even Premier Inn and the like are not cheap and are usually booked well in advance.

I needed to stay at short notice and LateRooms offered a Luxury Double at the Surtees for £60. I then read the reviews...help! But LateRooms reviews were not bad and the room picture did not seem to tally with the description of dire accomodation in TripAdvisor Reviews. So I thought I would just see!

First of all finding it could be a challenge. Actually it's easy. Just go down Dean Street (ie downhill towards Quayside) and go into the NCP-type car park entrance on the left, turn immediately right and the hotel entrance is right there. There is another set of steps at the other side, but the car park entrance is the easiest located.

Pleasant enough reception and very helpful reception staff. Their credit card machine was not functioning and I know some places would have insisted on cash or your watch or granny as a guarantee! They did not.

As I booked in a very large contingent of Chinese tourists appeared, this type of coach trip appears to be part of their business.

My room was in a newly built/refurbished wing accessed via the bar. It was indeed a large double with obviously new furnishings, new decoration and a stylish, if compact bathroom. A 32" LCD tv was discretely installed which, oddly, had 60+ channels but no BBC 1 or 2. I retuned it but it refused to generate BBC 1 or 2 on Freeview. I then wotked out how to get them on the analogue side. An instruction sheet would be a good idea.

Everything needed was there and there was a good lighting system allowing you to turn off lights in bed etc. Decent quality toiletries, nice fluffy white towels, great duvet. Electrical heating and cooling which is actually good as you can adjust yourself rather than relying on central heating, or lack of it. Everything obviously new and of quality. I was impressed.

The room really needs a settee or similar, ideally at the bottom of the bed where there is plenty of room. Otherwise there is nothing to sit on except the bed or the upright chair at the dressing table.

The beautiful designer shower with its massive "monsoon" head looks great. Does not work though! Despite twiddling it could only come up with a dribble of either scalding or cold water. I suspect this is a fault rather than the owners thinking this is acceptable, just not enough water pressure. I think they might have to fit a pump to boost it. It transpired later however that you did not actually need to be in the shower to have a shower...anywhere in the bathroom would do!

Now, the room did face onto Dean Street and Newcastle is not the quietest city during the night as revellers emerge from the clubs circa 3.am. This room has heavy curtains and that helped, but I think some secondary glazing would help, although I understand fire regs can be a problem in this area. Just accept that if you choose a city centre hotel.....although you might be one of those revellers yourself!

In the morning I tackled the shower - or dribble - again. About 10 minutes later I heard running water and discovered the bathroom ceiling with several very healthy streams of warm water emerging at various points. As I said, this would have been a better showering experience than the actual shower! It stopped quite quickly and I mopped up with a white fluffy towel. Reported it to reception and there was a maintenance chap there in 30 minutes. They offered to move my room at once, but I felt it was OK. It happened once more and they think a pipe is cracked which will require some investigation to remedy. I have to say everyone was most apologetic and I got the impression this will be fixed, just a glitch from the refurbishment work.

All in all this was a good experience, mostly made so by the professional and caring attitude of the staff. They told me the new owners were steadily refurbishing the whole hotel. This is not an overnight process and they indicated that they still had rooms that were Dickensian and not up to scratch. I am confident that they will get round to them all finally and, actually, this could easily move The Surtees from a very poor ranking hotel in Newcastle to Top 10. The combination of the superb location and outstanding staff together with decent rooms (with BBC, Settees, Showers in the Shower etc) would be hard to beat.

So I am going to recommend the Surtees as Very Good, bordering on Excellent.

I will be returning.

Room Tip: Bring scuba diving kit and earplugs!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Entrance staff helpful , room very noisy ,and very cold, needs duvets,at least ,our room curtains needed washing and fixing up as would not close,street noisy very loud(double glazing would have helped ) bathroom black mould around bath not a good look,neither was hole in the bathroom door , its just in need of modernising

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Me and a friend stayed at this Hotel for one night on Saturday December 18th. We were greeted by a pleasant young man however that was all that was pleasant about this Hotel. We were in room 8 which was on the first floor. On the way to the room the stair carpet was that worn it had holes in it and there were marks all over the walls. When we got to our room we were greeted by a freezing temperature. There were no radiators working. The curtain was hanging off, the bed covers had holes in them. The room was very dated. The bathroom had mould all over it (disgusting). On the morning we went down for breakfast. The room was freezing and other people were commenting about the temperature. The breakfast came and it was the cheapest of food, sausage was terrible. The coffee and orange juice was watered down. Overall although we got a good rate at £50.00 per room b&b I would never stay here again and will gladly pay alot more for a better Hotel.

Warren

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I stayed here with my best friend in November for one night when we came up for the football and had a night out in Newcastle. Because we arrived at half 5 in the morning, we knew we couldnt check in yet and walked round Newcastle for a bit. We went to the hotel at about half 10 but it took us quite a while to find it, and after finding out it was above a gentlemans club we couldnt stop laughin! We explained we were early but could we just chill in the living room and change in the bathroom. We were kindly told we could do this, yet 10 minutes later they had managed to sort out room which we were so happy about!!
This hotel is not suited for people staying for a week, but if you are like me and my friend who just wanted to rough it for a night not caring where we stayed, this hotel is decent. Bed, bathroom, heater, you dont want much more. Yes they arent the best standards but your only sleeping in there!!
Also, after a night out of a lot of drinking, i had managed to lose my hotel key. After apologising lots and explaining i would pay for an extra one, I left not having to pay anything, they were very kind and helpful, and not agry that I had lost the key!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010 via mobile

Have just stayed in this hovel of a hotel.

Upon arrival we were asked for payment and then were told that the card machine was not working. When explaining we didn't have £80 in cash on us the receptionist asked if we could go out and get the cash there and then. We then proceeded up the thread borne stairs and got to our room. There were stains on the carpet and curtains with mould all around the bath.

After having a night out I can usually sleep through anything - not in this room. The window would not shut and apart from being freezing due to the poor excuse for blankets on the bed I got woken up by someone vomiting outside then by people having an argument and the list goes on. I refused to go for breakfast but my sister went and came back up after 15 mins after not eating much due to the poor quality. Upon walking down the stairs we were faced with half eaten kebab boxes.

• Stayed October 2010
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

This hotel is absolutley grotty. Four of us booked hotel for a one night stay, to do some shopping and have a wee party. When we booked in the lift was not working...seems to have been that way for some time. On our way up stairs, we noted the smell of stale urine and the carpet on the stairs war worn and torn. Very dangerous. Our room 27 looked as if someone had tried to kick the door in. 2 very uninviting single beds with grotty looking blankets on it. The furniture was falling apart. The windows were craxked and dirty. The net curtqins were ripped and torn and the heavier curtains were not even up properly. They were all filthy. The toilet had a leaking cystern and water on the floor. The bath had black mould right round the edges....mingin....yuk...the tea and coffe facilities....well the water tasted bad and 2 of our milks were empty.
The room was very noisy, with people fighting all night. Another pub emptying glass into bins. Sirens all night. And everytime a car went over the manhole cover in main stret it clanged.
Breakfast was good.....however a bitty disorganised. I asked for a fresh jug of coffee as what was left in the jug had been there for ever and was politley told by the lady that 'when this was done, she would then make a fresh pot. About 20 mins later, she then emptied the dregs into a wee teapot and put a fresh pot on the plate and then put a sign up saying that this was not for use as it was still brewing.......
All I can say, steer clear of this tip. The poor staff at reception are so used to the complaints that they just hand out the contact details.....I have stayed in the likes of Oulton Hall, Leeds for £95, which is a far superior hotel o the Surtees, who charge £80 for same , one night bed and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Surtees Hotel? Share your experiences!