“Overnight Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The New Northumbria Hotel

You added The New Northumbria Hotel to your Saves list
The New Northumbria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Osborne Road, Jesmond | 61-73 Osborne Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2AN, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Overnight Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A great location, excelent room, friendly staff and we were able to fit a Z bed with ease in the room. Overall a good stay, a good bar area but let down by the refuse cart emptying the bottles early in the morning and a poor breakfast. The orange juice was awful, the fruit salad good, but there was a limited offer, poor quality jams and the cooked breakfast looked mean and let the overall stay down.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Four of us (2 couples) stayed at this hotel on a Friday and Saturday 6th/7th July, we were greeted by a lovely receptionist and our room was not one of the newer rooms but then again I didnt expect this as we had only paid £99 for two nights bed and brekki. We didnt (and either did our friends) have any problems whatsoever with our rooms they were clean and we had
nothing broken, lovely big towels, our room was at the back of the hotel and I thought we might hbave had problems with noise as the bar was very busy and everyone was outside as for a change it wasnt raining! we did hear some music but it did not bother either of us. The breckfast was lovely and plenty to eat (would recommend the poached eggs and my friend tried the kippers and he gave a thumbs up)
We didnt try the restautrant only the bars which were good and they did a good coffee in the bistro bar.
You are not far from the town centre and the metro centre is not far from the hotel.
There were a few stag do;s knocking about but everything was good fun and if you cant beat em join em!
It was a change drinking around Jesmond than going into the town centre.
Would recommend this hotel and the area for anyone, singles. couples, and groups.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I booked a last minute deal here through a booking agent and got a great deal on a two night stay. The hotel is clearly undergoing a phased upgrade and our room was yet to be modernised but was comfortable for the couple of days we were there. While the view from our room wouldn't win any prizes, it was away from the front of the building so was really quiet. Staff were very help and one minor repair we reported was resolved quickly. Housekeeping standards were good and the bed linen and towels were of good quality. We used the restaurant for dinner on our first night and it was excellent. Breakfast the following morning was pricy for what you get when compared with the breakfast we enjoyed in the city centre the following morning. This is a good hotel if you are looking for a reasonably priced base for exploring the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. Sounds like we were given the same room as an earlier reviewer as our room looked out on to cooling units too. The room smelled awful. Before asking to move we noticed that the TV was not tuned in properly and there was no kettle to make a drink. We were moved without fuss and although a better room, the toilet seat cover was broken and one or two other things weren't right. They seemed to be trying to create a trendy modern room but were forgetting the basics. The best thing about this hotel was its italian restaurant and the new bar (although a bit rowdy when we were there). The food in the restaurant was superb. Location ok for bars and restaurants. A bit of a walk to the metro into the centre when its raining.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Booking on the Internet I asked for a warm quiet room. Warm it was but a fan noise was noticeable as soon as I opened the door. From the window could be seen fourteen air-cooling units on a flat roof below. Great. Back at reception they said they were full but would move me in the morning.
When I returned I checked the room condition. This hotel has a glitzy web site with forty-one views in the photo gallery. I now have my own little gallery of photos. They show a different side. Like grubby and badly stained yellow communal carpets. [Yes, once bright yellow colour as in ‘yellow submarine’] In the room the curtain linings were badly stained and decayed. They were actually falling off the curtain. Fabric to the chair was so stained I put a towel down before sitting. The room carpet is not too bright either. Piece of used tissue, very small but what was it doing on the bedside table under he phone? The polished furniture was a bit battered and stained so I took a small towel and wet it to wipe down the desktop before starting some work. I pushed the towel too far towards the TV and it came out with a four inch black mark and hairs attached.
If they couldn’t keep clean rooms I wasn’t going to eat in their restaurant so I went out. Fortunately the cooling equipment noise had stopped by the time I returned.
In the morning I gave the towel and the grubby room kettle the to the receptionist. As a sample. She said that she would pass it on to housekeeping. I said nothing but I thought ‘No for heavens sake. Pass it on up to your own manager.’

Returning in the evening they checked me into ‘a boutique room’. Much better but they still had grubby yellow communal carpets in this part of the hotel. The actual room carpet was chocolate brown/ochre checks. Fitted up to the striped wallpaper? This made me laugh. But - hey ho, while I was laughing at their carpets the owners were probably sunning themselves on a yacht somewhere much posher. This checked carpet however had an unseemly open join just where you put your foot getting out of bed. [They have carpet issues at this place.] Splitting hairs maybe, [ugh. unintentional] but there was no centre light and the main standard lamp didn’t work. The furniture was dark wood colour and built up to a high ceiling. Which in a small room didn’t seem like good design to me. Nor was putting seven framed prints on the wall. Or putting in a flat screen TV too big for the room. Must look up the exact meaning of boutique.

The property is ten large Victorian house joined together to provide on the ground floor, a bar, two restaurants and the hotel reception facilities. The first and second floors of hotel rooms look onto the street at the front and at the rear a road sized ally and the backs of similar property. The pub people using the outside drinking and smoking areas were audible but not a problem to me while I was there. There was just a feint bump bump of music till closing time.

On my revisit, a third night, I was booked back into the first room that I stayed in. Wow. In my mind I was checking out the millisecond I saw the room number. So they gave me what I think was a star room. Which was very good and probably newly done. By now the designer was obviously getting to grips with colours and furniture. But the curtain end was hanging off the runner. And the kettle didn’t work. [Reception replaced it immediately.] But the carpets! Please call the carpet fitter back as the excellent carpets have stretched and are ruffled.

The evening reception staffs were very professional. The bathrooms were very good. Had every thing been fine then the price of £55 per night room only would have been very acceptable for the smaller room. That’s £62 as B&B.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Myself and my Partner stayed here as we were going to the Chili Peppers concert in Sunderland, we wanted to see a bit of Newcastle too. We got a Flash deal rate of £45.00 which could not have been better, I believe they have a number of special offer rates each night that if your quick enough you can catch. The reception team were wonderful and made sure we have everything we needed for our stay including metro times in and out of sunderland and we didnt even need to ask, this was provided to us on arrival. We were offered an upgrade to one of the superior rooms to include breakfast for an extra £25.00 and I am pleased to say we did. The room was large and very modern, you can see they have just been renovated. The bed was really comfortable, large flat screen TV and IPod docking station of which you need to request from reception. we had room 202. Did notice there were some areas not quite finished yet in the corridors. Osbornes bar has a really good happy hour button- we had free drinks! We were at the front of the hotel so thought it may be noisy but we had double glazing so couldnt hear anything in the afternoon.

We requested a late check out this morning and the staff were happy to ablige and this was complimentary, breakfast was good with a great selection of continental, the lady who served us was polite but a little quiet. What seemed to be the breakfast manager kept topping up the coffee and ensured everthing was to our liking, all in all the service and customer care at this hotel is really wonderful, we felt really looked after.

Although about a mile from the city centre we will definately be staying here again, lots of bars and restaurants and local shops in this area without having to go into the city centre. apparently its a very lively area so if you love the holiday feel this location is ideal.

Room Tip: If offered an upgrade take it as it was well worth the extra few pounds for the room we got. Room 20...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had a lovely 2 day stay at the New Northumbria hotel in the Jesmond area of Newcastle. The hotel is not in the centre of town but located a short metro ride away (Jesmond or West Jesmond stops). The hotel is very modern in its decor style. It is more cool and sleek than cozy and warm. The staff member I dealt with when I got in was excellent, making sure that I had information on the metro, looking for an adaptor for me, supplying me with internet access and just making sure that I had all that I needed. My room was in the far corner of the hotel but in a wing that itself probably needs renovations to match it to the rest of the hotel. The carpet in my hallway was badly stained and light coloured. There was also some sort of odd scent in the hall when I was there. There is a small lift to help you get your luggage up otherwise it is a workout going up stairs with heavy suitcases. I was very surprised to find a very spacious room with a large bed (seems to be two, twins put together). The bathroom is a marvel with modern fixtures and a wonderful heated towel rack which helps if you are doing some hand laundry. They also had a small fridge for you put any food purchase and store. Just a block away is a few grocery stores: Waitrose and Tesco. There are a few coffee shops including a Starbucks for those with a west coast coffee craving and even one located within the Jesmond Methodist church which serves a great cup of coffee. There is also a pharmacy and post office nearby. Anything you might need is available a short walk away. The one thing I would note is that there is a generally very lively party scene on this particular street. I was concerned that it might influence the way I slept or how I slept but there really wasn't any noise that I could make out from the room I stayed in. My room seemed warmer than usual for some reason.. There didn't seem to be a logical reason why. An excellent choice in terms of both service, location and amenities available. Will stay there again in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side of the front of the street - that is where all the bars are if you wi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to The New Northumbria Hotel? Share your experiences!