“Great Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kenilworth Hotel

You added Kenilworth Hotel to your Saves list
Kenilworth Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Osborne Road | Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2AL, England   |
Stevenage
“Great Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I am not sure what some reviewers were expecting for the price. I stay at a lot of hotels on business and for the price this is a good one. Yes, it's a bit tired and dated but what do you want for £45. My room (Room 1) was comfortable with a TV with all the channels and a good (FREE) wireless internet connection. Had the burger and chips for dinner which was very good. A good cooked breakfast in the morning which beats the buffet style breakfasts I have had in more expensive hotels. All in all a good stay and will stay again when in the area. Oh, and all the staff that served me were very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute and were attracted by the £45.00 tarif and excellent location. On arrival we could see that bank holiday & sunny weather in Jesmond had encouraged the young and beautiful out for drinks to say the whole street was packed would be an understatement - the atmosphere of the hotel filled road was fabulous. Plenty of parking at rear of building but back entrance abit strange. We checked smoothly in at the bar which doubled as the reception and shown to our four poster room - brilliant value, clean and well decorated with modern bathroom (expensive looking shower with unfortunately no water pressure and luke warm water). We decided to have a quick nap but the beat of thudding music could be heard through the floor. We walked to the quayside for dinner - nice 30 mins stroll, once back for the night the music was turned down by 10ish so sleep was only disturbed at 3.30 once the youngsters arrived back noisily from clubs etc. Breakfast in the morning was nice. Overall we wouldn't return back to this hotel as I think it attracts the younger party type (my kids would love it!) but as a night out/hen do stop over would be spot on.

• Stayed May 2013
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having parked in the car park and coming in the back entrance, not pleasant, unkempt and very dirty. No reception so booked in at bar, fine no problems.

Our room must be the only one not on the adverts, very small not badly decorated, clean, bed comfy, bathroom newly done but shower leaked out of bottom of pipe so no pressure, and no hot water, when mentioned to the owner, he said well everybody is showering at this time so what do you expect, no mention of repairing the leak, Attention to detail very poor, light bulbs out, curtains hanging of rail and toilet roll holder hanging of.

Had about 3.5hours sleep, having been kept awake by a group of young men staying in rooms next door and to the back of us, shouting out of window till 3.30am telling mates to come in the back door and use the security number, the noise was very disturbing.

The Hotel has a main bar at night for young people with music playing till 12 midnight that wasn't a problem as we came in late, but next morning breakfast is served at the end of the same bar, floor was tacky not swept and overall dirty. Bacon cooked to a rock solid lump.

Overall I would not recommend this to any of my friends, not at £85 pounds per night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
350SHemy350, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We have taken on board the comments made by this guest and the back entrance has been redecorated. We have also checked the bathroom in this room and undertaken all of the small maintenance jobs that were mentioned and have replaced the curtains with a new Roman blind.. The bathroom itself was refurbished only 5 months ago, as were all hotel bathrooms, the plumbing issue was a result of so much work being undertaken and has been remedied.

Whilst we appreciate the noise issue was unacceptable to these guests, Newcastle is a very busy party venue every weekend- we do advertise the fact that we have a bar and rooms are sound proofed.

Breakfast at The Kenilworth offers a good choice of cooked dishes and a cold buffet table and it is unusual for guests to complain about this.
durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Arrived 3.30pm and check in was carried out at the bar which was quick and easy. A pleasant welcome and informative bar staff. We had a room on the first floor overlooking Osbourne Road which can be very busy and as the hotel has single glazed windows can be quite noisy but it didnt bother us that much. The room itself was large, clean and airy. It was nicely decorated with a modern touch and looked as though it had recently been refurbished. The shower room was clean and adequate. The beds were comfy even though the double consisted of two singles pushed together which I thought was odd but thankfully I didnt lose my husband down the gap! Large flat screen tv opposite bed and plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. The full english breakfast next morning was very tasty and there was a choice of cereals and fresh fruit. On the whole it was a very pleasant experience and although I think we probably had the best room in the hotel (room 4) we found it hard to fault anything!

Room Tip: if youre a light sleeper ask for a room overlooking rear of hotel and on top floor. Room 4 was a lov...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The best thing you can say about the Kenilworth is that £55 a night for a twin room with breakfast is a good deal.

John G is right - check-in is at the bar, and a friendly and pleasant welcome it was too, even when we arrived at 8:30pm. Our room was on the top floor in the eaves. It wasn't great (the decor is a bit down at heel) but clean enough. The shower wasn't great either.

The downside was our room was noisy (being at the front) with more traffic than expected during the night on the Osborne Road. The lack of double glazing didn't help. (Room must be cold in deep winter?)

We were too tired to wander outside so we ate dinner in the bar. The bar snack style food was passable. In the morning breakfast was the usual cooked fayre, but the staff were under pressure so we mostly had to ask for whatever we needed.

Overall not a great hotel but good value for money. Free on-site parking but get there early to find a space!

Room Tip: Get a room at the back and up high if you don't want to be disturbed by traffic and noise from t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
350SHemy350, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We are pleased that the guest recognises that we offer good value for money but would refute the suggestion that the hotel decor is down at heel, having recently had every room decorated, new beds and bedding and new bathrooms.

We have retained the original sash windows as we are a character property( with large radiators!) not a modern chain of box style rooms.
Perth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

On arrival checked in at the bar as there didnt appear to be a reception. Place looked very tacky, it was a mish mash of different styles of furniture and the floor of the bar area looked like it hadnt seen a clean in days. Went upstairs to the room and the decor was nice. I attempted to take a shower but the hot water was not hot at all, it was very cold. I mentioned this later on in the evening whilst having a drink in the bar. The bar tender wasnt very helpfull, infact hes was very ignorant. He basicaly made some excuse about the heating been sorted out the next day. I then went out to a local eatery and got the shock of My life. The bar was very busy I discovered when went back to my room to sleep that I could not sleep for the noise coming from below. Did eventualy get to sleep at about 3 am. Very annoyed as I had to be at my best for a meeting the next morning. I mentioned this to the breakfast staff the next mornng ,bacon was hard and the sausage was over cooked as was the egg. Not a very good hotel at all I would not reccomend this hotel to any of My freinds. It was like Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed in Jesmond before and its a very nice area. This hotel was disappointing however.. arriving through the back from the carpark the stairs were dirty and led into a very dark bar where reception was.. the bar! Gentleman there was friendly and welcoming but once I got to the room I was very disappointed. It smelt of drains and all the windows were painted shut so no possibility of any fresh air. The heating was also on full so very hot. The bed was OK, clean sheets. Shower was rubbish, to get any power it had to be freezing! Breakfast was OK and the lady serving was very pleasant. So on the whole.. perhaps a good hotel for someone looking for budget accomodation but I would not stay there again and wouldn't recomend it to any solo travellers especially women.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kenilworth Hotel? Share your experiences!