“Pretty Average to be honest” 3 of 5 stars

You added Rosebery Hotel to your Saves list
Rosebery Hotel
2 Rosebery Crescent | Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1ET, England   |
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Pretty Average to be honest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I must admit to a little disappointment when we arrived at the Rosebery! The hotel is clean if a little dated but it was the little things that were missing? No hand towels (only large) no toiletries, no dressing table and the shower was almost useless the pressure was so low! Breakfast was OK but the ingredients were obviously cheap?
The biggest drawback was the cost!! At just under £100 for a double on a Sunday night it puts itself in direct competition with the likes of the Hilton on the Quayside and there is no comparison! What really got my goat was the surcharge for using a debit card !!!
So - nothing really wrong with the hotel but it would not be my first choice next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
St Albans, Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The location is very quiet and suburban, away from the busy bars and clubs - and unlike many of the Newcastle hotels which are full of loud party-goers. As a dog friendly hotel I cannot fault it – in the morning I just had to walk over one small road to get into Jesmond Dene, which is a beautiful place to walk. The staff had put a nice little dog basket on the floor of my en-suite which was a nice touch.

Parking is a problem – all roads around the hotel have restrictions. On arrival I asked the young American receptionist about the car parking and explained that I had left my car in a restricted parking zone. The receptionist seemed to be completely baffled by this information, saying “I don’t drive myself” – which seemed a little irrelevant since I was just asking for the location of the free parking. “Most people just take pot luck on the yellow lines outside” was the answer. Not what I had hoped for, and certainly not what the website had promised.

I stayed in the left wing of the hotel- this part of the hotel smelled distinctly of damp and had a large pile of green dirty laundry bags in the hallway that remained for the duration of my stay. My room was on the first floor; the room had clearly been refurbished and looked cosy and fresh. A window looked out onto the busy main road and the back yard of adjoining houses, but the double glazing was good and I was not disturbed by traffic noise as long as the window was closed.

Like the bedroom, the bathroom looked superficially beautiful, but this was all on the surface. The shower was the worst I have ever experienced; an old scratched pink shower tray, badly grouted – with water pressure so low that it was barely enough to wash myself. All I managed to get from the shower was a tiny trickle of water which became dangerously scalding if I tried to turn it up. If I increased the cold flow on the mixer tap, the water stopped completely. There was no shower gel or shampoo provided and no bath mats of any sort.

A big selling point for me had been the free wi-fi, Although my laptop tried to connect, the signal was incredibly weak and although I continued to try all that evening, I never managed to make a connection. Again I felt let down by the website, which said, “Signal strength is very good in all rooms, as boosters are located throughout the hotel.” There seemed to be no way of contacting reception staff, although I wandered around the reception area for a while.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main part of the hotel, not the left wing.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I spent an amazing weekend in Newcastle staying at the Rosebery Hotel. The hotel is in the perfect location in Jesmond and just a short distance from the centre of the city - everything I needed was in walking distance so no complaints there!

All the staff were extremely friendly and happy to help regardless of what time of day it was or how busy they were. The hotel has just had a massive refurb with beautiful boutique feel to all the rooms. Makes the hole hotel seem so warm and welcoming.

Great value for money, perfect location, extremely clean, stunning decor. Would recommend and I shall be staying there every time I visit newcastle!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

i have stayed at The Rosebery Hotel 4 times while my husband has been in Freemans Hospital and each time it gets better.Janet has done a great job referbishing the hotel its beautiful.the breakfasts are great,the staff are friendly and its nice and clean,the bus to Freemans and Newcastle center are just round the corner,The hotel overlooks a nice green and church and is 5 min walk to Jesmond Dene Iwould recommend this hotel as good value for money as its so lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The words, boutique and family run give an entirely misleading image of this hotel. Its one redeeming feature is the friendly staff (when they can be found!), and even they seemed uncertain as to the exact ownership of the place. One extremely inconvenient and unwelcoming factor was the lack of any staff onsite after 5.30pm. When we arrived at 8pm at night there wasno-one to be found, the night porter seemed to be a mythical creature, so it wasn't until 8am the following morning that we were able to get hold of some tea and coffee that should have been awaiting us in the room. The bedroom was unheated, the shower was tepid at best, the toilet paper the cheapest possible available, indicative of everything else that we were offered. The breakfast room was freezing cold and unheated, the real coffee came out of a nescafe sachet. It felt like more of a Primark hotel than a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I came to visit some friends in Newcastle, and stayed at the Rosebery Hotel, and it was hands down one of the best places I have stayed in; in a long time. The rooms were always clean and beautiful! The staff and management were also so kind and helpful and had all the time in the world for their customers.
I will definitely be staying again, THANK YOU AGAIN :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Beautifully decorated, just under gone refurbishment really quirky with some fabulous furniture i would love to take take home! 10mins from the airport and 5mins into town all very easy. Lovely quiet area over looking a green but still very central. Good value for money.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Rosebery Hotel? Share your experiences!