“Slow but good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buca di Beppo

Buca di Beppo
De Vere Village Urban Resorts Newcastle, Cobalt Business Park | West Allotment, Newcastle upon Tyne NE27 0BY, England
0844 980 8030
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buca di Beppo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian, American
“Slow but good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Perfectly themed Italian American restaurant. Four of us dined with living social vouchers, which proved great value. I had garlic bread with cheese to start, which came on a board with olive oil and balsamic to dip. 10/10. We had a bit of a wait for our mains but we were not in a rush so there was no problem. For main I had breaded chicken with tomato and basil sauce topped with mozzarella with a side of fries. It was evident that this was prepared in house and not from a packet a la Frankie and Benny's. Nice to have freshly prepared food, worth the wait. If you are not in a hurry and enjoy each others company I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Worst Food Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I came here after a hard days work expecting a nice meal. Boy was I wrong.

Starter - Garlic bread. This just tasted like bread and was very dry.

Mains - Margherita pizza. Again just tasted like bread or cardboard. Maybe cardboard would have been tastier. The cheese and tomato toppings were barely there or maybe they were using their special ingredient of invisible tomato topping. I stopped eating after three bites.

Dessert - chocolate cake with ice cream. I thought this was a safe bet. How many restaurants can ruin a chocolate cake? I made the right choice. Not a great cake but enough to rid my mouth of the taste of the cardboard.

Final Thoughts - Avoid this restaurant at all costs. You have been warned.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The pizza was a joke - it was like eating a cardboard with some cheap cheese on top. Absolutely shocking. The chocolate cake was ok, will not be having it again though. Really disappointed, I wish I had read the reviews before eating there.

Visited November 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and mediocre food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We came in here with the £29 Living Social voucher. We waited for half an hour for someone to come and take the food&drinks order, then we waited for another half an hour for the starters and after we finished them we waited again for 40 mins for the mains with nobody coming not even to ask us if we were ok for the drinks!! Awful terrible service, they didn't even apologise for the delays!
We ordered the starters from the set menu and ordered the mains from the a-la-carte and we ended up paying almost as much as we would've paid without the voucher as they preferred to list everything on the bill then just deduct £25 off everything (although we paid £29 for the voucher)! I insisted on asking them to recalculate, but my partner was tired (and sick of waiting so much for everything all evening) and just paid the bill and left with the intention of never coming back here. Really disspointed, I should've read the reviews before buying the voucher.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Poor Service and mediocre food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were staying in the hotel and ate in here. The first night the food was not too bad and we chose from the special deal menu and I wish I had left it there. The following night we had planned to eat in the Victory pub but as it was quite busy we went back to the Buca di Beppo. We were told there were no tables until 9pm even though there were clearly empty tables. We arrived back and were shown to our table. We asked for water with our drinks and eventually after the third request this was brought to the table. Our main meals arrived. I had the Fiorentina pizza and it was like eating cardboard. I sent this back and was given a menu to choose an alternative. After 10 minutes my order was taken. My husband struggled with his meal but after I had sent mine back felt a bit uncomfortable complaining. My second choice arrived and was fine. After finishing our mains we thought about dessert, however, that is all we did as we were never offered the menu or asked if we wanted more drinks it was clear the staff wanted to finish for the night. The restaurant was not busy and I observed others also having extremely long waits. After 40 minutes we decided to give up. There were no staff to be seen, however, the moment we left our seats to leave we were greeted by 3 staff happy to supply us with our bill. They had taken the cost of the pizza off and given us a 20% discount, however, based on our experience this felt like the minimum they could do.

This really spoilt what had been a really enjoyable weekend in the hotel. I have never eaten in a restaurant where the service is this bad or the food so unremarkable. I will not be back.

• Visited November 2013