I've just spent two nights at this Marriott, it's in a dated building with hideous early 70s architecture but once inside it is stylish and well maintained. The staff are very helpful; the first room we were allocated on the third floor overlooked the kitchen and was akin to being accommodated above a KFC, the room smelled like a Deep Fat Fryer and we asked to move. The receptionist was really helpful and within no time we were moved to room 411 at the rear of the hotel, which was quiet, well away from the kitchens and had a better view. The big disappointment was the bed, or to be more precise the mattress, it was really poor quality, far too springy and gave no back support; they must have purchased it from the bed store equivalent of Poundland. I tried to ask the (Eastern European) maid if all the rooms had the same type of mattress but she misunderstood and just said that all the beds were doubles or singles! As we were only staying for two nights and had already been moved, we did not make a big deal about it. That aside the room was well appointed and the hotel had good facilities. The hot and cold breakfast buffet had a wide choice from full English to continental with cold meats, fresh fruit, pastries, etc and four choices of juice. The sausages and bacon were really good but the Black Pudding was very dry. The chef also prepares fresh omelettes to order and their poached eggs were cooked perfectly. Luckily we were on a B&B rate; otherwise the breakfast costs £15.95 per person, which is a bit much. We went for a walk through the grounds to the rear of the hotel, which were lightly wooded and were pleasantly surprised to see four deer within 50 metres of the hotel, the woodland path then leads to wide open fields. The hotel is in a fairly isolated location with only a petrol station and a McDonalds nearby; it is a good 15 minutes to Newcastle though Gosforth is obviously much closer and has a good selection of bars and some decent eateries. We attended a charity function on the Saturday night; our reason for staying in the hotel and the staff again were very helpful and friendly. If I return for the function next year I would probably stay in the hotel again but would check the mattress quality before accepting the room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 12 acres of parkland near the vibrant city centre and Newcastle International Airport, the Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park offers the ideal setting for short breaks and business travel. Contemporary by design, this premier Newcastle hotel blends gracious service with thoughtful amenities that all travelers will appreciate. The chic lobby leads to spacious, beautifully renovated guest rooms featuring luxurious new bedding and convenient high-speed Internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Marriott, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newcastle Marriott Gosforth Park
- Marriott Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Marriott