“Ridiculously expensive wifi but ok hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great North Road | Seaton Burn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 6BP, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Ridiculously expensive wifi but ok hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Room (144 - it's an end room on the first floor)
----------------------------------------------------------
Plenty of storage, good layout (sockets next to bed etc) and huge window which provides plenty of light. Our room had 3 heaters on the wall - a sure sign that others have found this room to be cold. However, I'm always warm though and found the room temperature perfect for sleeping.

Bed was really comfy and the two firm pillows were perfect. Hubby and I always fight over the firm pillows, so thankfully there was another bed in the room....

Good large mirror over the desk area, plenty of lighting, full sized kettle (though only 4 milks and no obvious way of getting any more). Ridiculously expensive wifi though - how on earth is £15 per day justified in this day and age? Especially when you're hardly in the hotel anyway.

Bathroom very dated (humorously so) but it was clean and warm etc, so no complaints there. Some free toiletries in case you forget yours - always useful.

Hotel generally
-------------------
Very tired and dated, but clean and I think this is reflected in the lower price compared to some other Holiday Inns in similar locations. Carpets kind of dull and have seen better days.

Layout is interesting - it's laid out in a couple of wings. If you have reduced mobility I would request a room nearer the reception/bar area as the end room where we stayed felt like a right trek. Oh and NO LIFT. Neither of us are disabled, but my knee hasn't been too great lately and carrying my suitcase upstairs left me in pain all the next day.

There's a vending machine in the lobby, but no apparent way to get any water or other drinks. I thought free water was a minimum standard really, but apparently not.

Staff were really friendly and felt us feel welcome. I'd say that they're this hotel's strength, based on what I've seen.

-------
Restaurant area was small but
functional, though some tables a bit too cramped for my liking. Was offered one ridiculously cramped table in the corner, but took a different table instead.

Ridiculous queue for that stupid toaster (seriously, guests hate them, so why do hotels STILL use them). After waiting behind 3 elderly couples who couldn't figure it out, wouldn't accept any help and wouldn't let me put my bread in until theirs was out, I gave up after 20 minutes. I decided that a 30 minute wait for a toaster was absolutely insane! Please, for the love of God, get some different toasters!!!!!

Food was ok. Mushrooms and beans were a bit cold at breakfast and the hash browns were cooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside. However, the bacon and sausages were tasty. Didn't try anything else, so can't comment, but there seemed to be a good range of items.

Parking
---------
Loads of parking, though some people seemed to park where they liked (ie not in spaces).

Location
-----------
Good access to A1, local fuel station and a good pub called the Snowy Owl not too far away.

Specific requests to the management
-----------------------------------------------
1. Stop scrimping on the milk - put more out or tell guests how they can get more
2. More firm pillows - or tell guests how to get more
3. In room guide to the hotel facilities etc - some people will struggle with the TV navigation to get to this info - or might not even realise it's on the TV!
4. What about a computer for guests to use to check out local tourist info - for free? Or even a limited amount of time/bandwidth for free? Or just lower price of wifi (it's free in most of the hotels I've stayed in in America). I'd have paid £5 for 24 hours of access, but not £15. If you're going to offer a service, make it affordable otherwise there's little point offering it. Business customers might be able to afford it, but I don't know anyone else who would.
Get some better toasters - a 20 minute wait for a slice of toast is just insane!

Room Tip: If you have limited mobility then ask for a room nearer the reception/bar area and one on ground flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Where to start! (smiley face). Naturally, with a thank you TheYorkshireRam for your review.
Wi-Fi ranges from £5 for an hour to £10 for 12 hours and will be free to Priority Club Elite members from July and to all Priority Club members from January.
Re milks, pillows, low floor rooms etc please just ask – reception is open 24 hours a day and they enjoy helping.
I too would be frustrated if I were to wait that long for toast & again, you could have spoken with the team on duty and asked for help.
Our restaurant and bar are being refurbished this Spring which we are looking forward to.
Finally, thank you for your kind words re the team which as you kindly highlight are a credit to this or any hotel. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Oldham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here several times whilst in the area on business. This is and aging Moat House Hotel and whilst generally of high quality, the rooms could do with dragging into the 21st Century. The old wall mounted air con units and separate electrical panel heaters show the true age of the hotel. You can get a bit of noise from the nearby Newcastle Airport, but things are quiet overnight. The bar area and separate restaurant are large and well presented. Bar and restaurant staff are attentive and poilte as are all staff generally. In my opinion the food is of a better quality than many HI hotels I have stayed in. Not tried the leisure facilities, but they certainly look ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback ghare3001. The kind comments regarding the team are greatly appreciated and the kitchen team will be particularly pleased.
For info as the bedroom refurbishment commences the cumbersome heating will be addressed. As you mention, Newcastle Airport does not operate overnight arrivals and departures.
Huddersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

When I last reviewed this hotel, I was scathing about elements regarding breakfast. I am pleased to say that these issues were not encountered this time. Myself and my wife had to respond to a family emergency and had to stay for a protracted length of time. I cannot praise the reception staff enough as they were able to ammend the booking from 2 rooms to one, to a room with 2 beds to help with other family members to stay and were flexible enough to give a favourable rate and to be able to change the length of stay at a moment's notice. The breakfast was much better with the food being fresher and replaced regularly although the staff were stressed at a major influx of patrons at 9.45 on a Sunday morning! Well done to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments after your recent stay with us. I am particularly pleased that the team were able to look after you at what was a difficult time for you and your family. Welcome back and hopefully your next visit will be worry free.
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed in this hotel with our group of biker friends, but owing to the weather we were all in cars, we had lovely meals, the staff were excellent including George and Kerry who took part in our nightly quizzes, the bar area could have been a little better cosier and such like. it was also Easter which meant that weddings were taking place along with lots of children, but none of them affected us to any great extent, We were also upgraded in our room because we are platinum card holders, this was also very nice.
I would stay here again and again, in fact we are looking at doing the trip again in October time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us and it’s particularly pleasing that you are planning to return in October. Kerri & George enjoyed your quizzes but were quiet on how well they had performed!
Our Platinum Priority Members are very important and where we can we will always upgrade. It’s worth knowing that from July, Platinum and Gold members will receive free Wi-Fi in all our IHG brands. Hope to see you in October. Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight before getting early flights! Couldn't fault this hotel. Very friendly members of staff always on hand. We needed an extra blanket for our travel cot and we were quickly sorted out. Lounge bar is nice although a little pricey! Overall enjoyable

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you GabbysMaMa for your very positive review & I hope you had a lovely holiday. The teams’ service and natural way with our guests is part of our way to make guests feel relaxed, as they would be at home. Whilst we don’t offer transport to the airport our local taxi company offers a very competitive fare – currently £14.00
Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here with family for 1 night (Saturday). First thing is that this is an excellent hotel for those stag and hen weekends in Newcastle, so expect to be woke up like we all were at 3.30am by a bunch of girls who managed to sit and talk (shout) for over an hour in the room above us.
The hotel is very good but in need of updating. Our rooms were a great size but simple things could have made it so much better eg. broken bulbs replaced, a fridge for the milk, a brand of coffee that was not obviously some cheap bulk buy, bath towels that actually fit all the way round your body.
I used the pool which I couldn't fault although some of our party complained how cold it was the previous day.
Bar area was nice with good selection of drinks but £3.60 for a coffee is crazy when a pint of cider was £3.10. My advice is take your own coffee (unless you like cheap discount brands) and make one in your room!
Evening meal was good and staff very friendly. Took some time to sort out the meal deals as some didn't want it so we got the children's meals for free. That said they still charged us which we only spotted when checking out.
Breakfast was very disorganised and an area that the hotel needs to improve. The food was good but tables were dirty, food was all over the floor and there was rubbish everywhere around the tea and coffee machines. You have to make your own tea and coffee which is what I would expect at a much cheaper hotel. I had to ask for some clean mugs as the 5 I picked up were dirty. This was a real problem as others were asking for clean mugs too (get the dish washer fixed!) I felt as if staff were to busy trying to get tables ready for lunchtime and ignoring people who had basic breakfast requirements.
One more thing I was not impressed with was that the female toilets were out of order and the hotel had opened a room down the bedroom corridor for people at the bar to use. Why then were one of our party given the adjoining room? This lead to more noise during the night.
I would return but request a room at the far end of the corridor and not on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and overall feedback. Re your stag/hen comments I would like to mention that we do not work with or encourage any stag/hen organisers and with our location outside the city centre – we are not ideal for such groups. Our hope is that we have families staying with us, but as you will know – you can’t stop people booking on-line. We do employ security overnight and reception is manned 24 hours – they could have visited the room to disperse the girls above. Its nice to read that you enjoyed your evening meal & service and took advantage of the kids eat free when you dine from the a la carte menu – it’s amazing value. For information our freshly ground coffee beans are Tchibo, and prices start at £2.95. Breakfast certainly doesn’t sound like our normal standard & your feedback will be shared to the team who will be disappointed and please accept my apologies. Your experience of the pool was very positive and it’s worth considering using the beauty facilities for a pamper treatment although, it’s fair to warn other readers that they do get booked up in advance. When you next plan a visit please do contact reservations who will happily deal with any special requests. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Lichfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Seaton Burn on Friday night. It is quite a nice hotel, with friendly staff and nice pool and spa area. The room was comfortable, although a bit too warm, some might object to the fact that the flat screened TV did not work because the batteries in the remote control were flat; this did not bother me particularly. What did bother me was the noise after midnight. My room was next to the stairs, they hotel should install soft close hinges as every time someone went through the door it slammed shut and woke me up, not only that I could hear the guests next door talking, I could also hear another couple getting passionate but it did not last that long!
Although the bedroom seemed clean enough the bathroom could have used a bit of bleach on the floor (bring your own slippers).
The card key to my room did not work, so I used the telephone in the corridor to ask reception to bring another key, there was no reply, one of the guests said he would phone from his room, he could not get a reply either and he very kindly went down to reception for me, as I had all my bags with me, he came back and apologised that there was no one on reception and no one to ask, he said that he would try again in a few minutes. Just I was gathering all belongings to go to reception myself the caretaker just happened to come along, he had a master key and let me in and a little later brought me a new working key.

Room Tip: Remember to bring everything that you may need including hair dryer
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us.
Your lovely comments re the team are very much appreciated.
I have asked the maintenance team to check doors, door locks and remotes to ensure these facilities are as they should be – thank you for highlighting it.
Hope to see you back with us again, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne? Share your experiences!