“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park

You added Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great North Road | Seaton Burn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 6BP, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Tralee, Ireland
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here for two nights 1&2nd of feb was over for soccer game and was booked this hotel as part of a package the hotel is of good standard friendly staff but felt because we were on package the room was small for us and our son u could not walk u had to climb on bed to get across room .breakfast was good and hotel was v clean would stay here again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your posting and delighted to read that overall you enjoyed the hotel, the breakfast and found the team to be friendly and welcoming. A very clean hotel is greatly appreciated by the housekeeping team in particular.
Our twin and family bedrooms are quite possibly the largest bedrooms in the area. When we only have double rooms available, we do get requests for them to have a rollaway bed added. If this is the case we ask that the booking agent informs the guest to avoid disappointment. That weekend (Chelsea match) I do know that we turned away requests for twin and family rooms and I am sorry that possibly your travel agent did not advise you correctly. Anyone concerned should call the hotel reservation team. Great to read that this slight inconvenience wont deter you from coming to stay with us in the future. Thank you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was in Newcastle for a science fiction convention that was being held at this hotel, and as I didn't know the city at all I figured it would be best to stay at the actual place and not trek in for each day of the con. Which was ultimately the best choice for convenience's sake, but thre were times I was seriously questioning my decision. Seaton Burn, from what I can gather, is a suburb (maybe village?) a good half hour north of the city by bus, and once you're at the hotel, unless you've got a car, you're at the mercy of the remote countryside. The only signs of civilization within walking distance are one other hotel, a petrol station and a combination Burger King and chain family restaurant. And that's it. And the restaurant wasn't open on Sunday morning. I guess the Holiday Inn is in a good secluded location for conferences, but it's definitely not located for tourists unless it's to capture spillover from Newcastle on busy holidays.

Beyond that, the hotel was acceptable. I have to thank the reception staff for helping me out with the loan of their phone and internet when I had to arrange for a change of train ticket with Virgin Rail. That said, there's no free wi-fi in the hotel, you can buy pricey packages of time; they comped me a couple of small blocks of time, but even once I punched the codes in I couldn't get a decent signal either in my room or in the lounge, so I was without internet use on my iphone all weekend until I went into town. There's a restaurant next to the lobby which has a breakfast buffet, but the price was ridiculous: thirteen+ pounds for a breakfast buffet no better than the five pound one I had in Cardiff? This is what a monopoly gets you. My room was decent-size for one person (my previous stop had been in London where my room was barely bigger than a pantry) but hadn't been thoroughly cleaned when I checked in as there was fast food packaging lying around.

I had a great time at the convention, and to be sure, it was a great relief to be able to drop my shopping off back in my room and not be lugging souvenirs or my jacket around all day. But I kind of feel that the location and lack of options for events like this afforded the hotel the option to gouge just a little without consequence. I won't rate the place "poor" because it is what it is for a Holiday Inn, but I wish there were a few more resources available for the city-slicker tourist.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your posting.
I guess you had a dilemma of being at the convention or in the city centre and travel to and fro. From what I saw that weekend the agenda was packed full on the Saturday & Sunday. There was certainly a lot to do.
We are quite clear in our advertising re our location and the event organiser has used the hotel frequently due to the size of the convention space, availability of bedrooms and free car parking for day visitors (amongst other reasons).
If “city slicker tourists” stay here I would recommend they have a car for ease of access to the city. Our location allows that access and has the benefit of easy access to the beauty of The Coast & Northumberland.
Holiday Inn breakfast prices are all pretty similar as you will find with other national brands like Hilton, Marriott & Thistle to name a few. For other guest info you can book packages on line that include 2 breakfasts for £15 when incorporated within the rate.
My tip is – it’s better value to book a B&B rate rather than a cheaper room only rate and deny yourself a lovely full English buffet breakfast – especially at the weekend.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stay here at least once a week and have done for some time, however I'm looking for something in the area that ticks a few more boxes, consistently. I am a premier points card holder, whatever that means, of late it seems to be a few candy sticks? I am a travelling business person, I don't get it. I would far rather get a voucher for free internet access, which when withdrawn from this hotel's offer, was a disappointment and bigger inconvenience. I refuse to pay £5 for a half hour or hour, whatever, when even a Mcdonalds can offer a free service nowadays. The restaurant food is well overpriced for what it is, I can go into towns nearby for authentic curry or chinese for a fraction of the price, it's just inconvenient. Front desk service is dependant on who you get, some are dismissive some are quite friendly, but more often lately I wait while they tear themselves from whatever is keeping them out of sight. Occasionaly I've had rooms with bottled water and even some biscuits, taken for granted in some hotels, but in this one a real luxury. Just inconsistent, why can't I have bottled water and biscuits and friendly welcoming reception colleagues advising me of all the facilities every time I arrive? Added to this I used the Spa recently and I can only describe the smell in the passage and inthe mens change rooms as horendous, the towel bin was overflowing, I think the culprit for some of the odour, and the water bottle was empty with 2 full bottles on the floor waiting to be swapped by absent staff. I forgot to mention the extractor fans in some of the bathrooms sound like Boeing engines on take off, all of the time, get used to stuffing them with tissue if you want some sleep.

Room Tip: Throw the dice, it really is luck of the draw.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stays with us recently.
Our Priority Club members have a variety of benefits which can be viewed on the membership website. Discretionary gifts vary by hotel and ours has recently changed and will be reviewed again January – a discounted Wi-Fi is proving popular.
Our internet provider has withdrawn the free 30 mins option however we do offer room rates including Wi-Fi that offer a saving or your company could get one set-up for an extra £3
As you say, consistency would be appreciated.
Our leisure club is an unmanned facility however a duty manager is always available by phone if you require them. When you are next due to stay please let myself or a member of the management team know. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, GM
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Visited this hotel,from 30 Dec-1 Jan,2012.
Have been to this hotel on many occasions-booked an executive room-everything was as expected.
Hotel was very busy,as expected,but what I didnt expect was some of the other guests standards!
At 01.45hrs,on New Years morning,I didnt expect to see young children-some still under 1 year old,in the bar area-and they where tired and crying-shame on the parents!-and on the hotel staff,for allowing this!
I was also very surprised to see other guests being allowed into breakfast,in pyjamas,slippers and housecoats,or young adults wandering around in swim wear,in the bar,and public areas!
If I ever decide to use this hotel again,I would expect the staff to ask for some standard of dress,etc- is that too much to ask for?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your posting Chriss52 and good comments re your bedroom and overall stay.
I completely agree that guests should not be allowed into breakfast in nightwear and it is not normal for us to allow this. Swim wear is something that I have never seen in the bar and is not acceptable, on any occasion. Sounds like the New Year festivities over ran and a small group did not know how to behave in public.
Guests are fully responsible for looking after their children no matter what time of day or night. The risk to the bar staff in offering parenting advice, to the type of people you describe, is simply not worth it unfortunately.
Hopefully you have stayed with us before to know these are not our normal type of guests. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. There is everything wrong with attention to the client and quality of service. With the exception of one at reception the rest of the staff made us feel uncomfortable that we were disturbing their Christmas. The maid who wanted to clean our room while we were still in it, the waitress who dashed in to remove our plates before we were finished, the receptionist who had no idea why there was no Internet service and lied to us "we'll I've sold other vouchers today and they have not complained.." And the duty manager who gave the bad news, that there was no Internet as if to say - why should you want it at this time. Thank you for the receptionist that when we asked for a discount for the lack of Internet, happily did so. Well done. Oh yes, we were here from December 23rd to 27th 2012 and I needed to keep in touch with others in the world, via Internet. In other parts of the world this is free NOT £15.00 per day.

Room Tip: Down stairs rooms are long way from reception and restaurants
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your posting.
I am genuinely sorry that the internet was not available in the hotel during your stay and appreciate that keeping in touch is important. This service is provided by an independent specialist company and fault finding and repairs have to be carried out by their specialist teams (just like at home). You are probably aware the hotel was without phone lines over this period which impacted the availability of Wi-Fi as you would expect. Frustratingly there was nothing reception could do about this – they were constantly in touch with BT using personal mobiles to get this resolved, even on Christmas Day & Boxing Day. I totally sympathise with the situation and assure you the team took every action that they could by trying to get a telephone engineer on a double bank holiday.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

12 of us met at the at the Holiday Inn for lunch today.
We,ve eaten in a wide variety of places over the years and always return to the comfort and friendliness of the holiday Inn.
In 25 years we have never been let down or disappointed by the surroundings, the service, the staff or the food.
Today was no exception, from the starter to the main course, to the mince pies and the relaxing coffee in the lounge afterwards. No one makes you feel hurried and everyone has time for you.
It's always a civilised and satisfying experience and what's more, it doesn't cost the earth.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
What a lovely review 587Annie47 and it is greatly appreciated.
25 years as a loyal patron of our Holiday Inn is testament that we strive to provide a local friendly service and good food with time and space to relax and feel at home.
Your comments will be shared with the team and at this busy festive season, they will be particularly appreciated.
Merry Christmas & kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed for one night on the 1st December 2012 for the York/Durham Xmas markets. Lovely hotel. Room 67 was clean, spacious, quiet. Restaurant nice, staff friendly. Always thought holiday inns were very basic, but was very surprised. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your lovely positive feedback after your recent stay with us. Hopefully now your perception of Holiday Inn has changed we will see you again soon – please look at our loyalty programme Priority Club. Well worth doing. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park? Share your experiences!