“Pleasant surprise...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Newcastle Gosforth

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle upon Tyne
Travelodge Newcastle Gosforth
You added Travelodge Newcastle Gosforth to your Saves list
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rotary Way | North Brunton, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 5EH, England   |
UK
“Pleasant surprise...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

For a Travelodge, this is nowhere near as bad as others I've stayed in. I can only put that down to the fact that until fairly recently it was an Innkeepers Lodge, and it appears the management have not yet got around to stripping out all the furnishings and allowing deterioration to start. Only a matter of time.

Until that happens however, the rooms are pleasant, there are still pictures on the wall which add warmth, and the place is clean and comfortable.

M&B Vintage Inns next door with decent beers and food also coop and Macdonalds.

Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a few times, originally when it was an Innkeepers Lodge, and now it is a Travellodge.

On the plus side, it has a great location just off the A1, and the local amenities are very good (the pub next door is excellent, there is a co-op just behind and a Mcdonalds just past the pub). Parking is also good and the overall condition of the property seems to be good.

On the downside however is the standards. Its a cheap hotel (we only paid £ 36 for a night) and so my expectations are not high, im not expecting the Ritz or Hilton, however I do expect my bed to be made properly. The sheets were not even pulled over the top of the bed so we could see the mattress, and the reason we could see the mattress was revealed when we re-made the bed, the mattress cover/protector was half way down the bed.

Reception was always deserted with a cordless phone and push button to request someone.

Its a shame as it was a great hotel, and i'm sure the issues we found would be very easy to address,, but right now I would look elsewhere for a stay in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Newcastle Gosforth, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Andrew H,

Thank you for your post.

It is always good to get positive feedback from our customers after they have stayed with us. We will make sure the hotel receive a copy of your compliment.

With regards to the concerns you’ve raised, your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback.
newcastle england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Little that I can add to other reviews - easy parking, good pub adjoining and also co-op garage and Mcd's.

Busses to the city stop outside, going through Gosforth which is an interesting place.with lots of pubs restaurants etc.

If you return from a night out, then (like all cities) private hire is far cheaper than the hacks.
Blueline and Budget (meter starts from £1!) are recommended.

Worthwhile considering rather than rather than a city centre hotel...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Northumberland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My fiancé and I came here at 8.40pm on a Friday night after seeing a film down at the Metro Centre. I was happy to go for a Metro eatery but him indoors fancied going to this place as some of his colleagues from Longbenton had been and raved about the place.

Initial view was that is was cosy, pub-like (well, effectively it IS a pub) and the atmosphere was decent enough. However, we waited at the bar for a good 10-15 minutes before we could see a staff member. I asked if they were still serving food and, tentatively, after checking her watch, the lady told us to go and find a seat.

We found a little private setting near a window. We ordered drinks (pint of lager for OH and a large rosé pour moi) but we waited nigh on quarter-of-an-hour before receiving them. We explained we were ready to order but were told the waitress would come back soon. I went for the fish Friday deal (2 courses and a glass of vino for £15) while he went for the boar burger and shared my dessert.

It was a leisurely 10 minutes before our order was taken then 15-20 minutes thereafter to receive our mains. The waitress was very amiable and smiley. I am no hurried eater and like to take my time, especially when I'm drinking as well as having a meal. However, my other half likes to 'eat and run' and passed comment about slow service (rare for him to comment).

The food, when it did arrive, was gorgeous. I had asked for chips instead of boiled potatoes and I wasn't disappointed. Everything was cooked to perfection and we got offered a selection of complimentary sauces. The only downer was my dessert, raspberry creme brulee, which was cremated by the blow torch on the top and the underneath was agreeably cold. I am forgiving and not one to waste so I ate it anyway but, after having shovelled mine in, heard someone on the next table complaining about theirs.

Overall, a decent enough meal (my deal was good value, had the sweet been as nice as the lovely wine and main) and we came here late on so we cannot expect 100 per cent optimum performance. The waitress was friendly, atmosphere was romantic and 'pubby', but service was slow.

I would go back, for sure. However, I won't be rushing as there are plenty of other nice places to try (for instance, the Jingling Gate near Denton, which is always amazing). Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for a night stop last minute.
We were pleasantly surprised, can't fault anything.
very swift and friendly check in.
Clean smart room.
We ate next door at the Vintage Inn and the food was excellent
Will stay again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Fast check-in, large, clean room at the back of the hotel. Good quality towels and comfortable bed. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. I didn't go into the pub next door but it was extremely busy, which I took to be a good sign. The Co-op on site had a good selection of food and drink.
I'd definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good, clean Travelodge. Room tidy, fast check in, next to a restaurant, a MacDonalds and a garage next door. Ideal for stop-overs as close to key road networks. Shower very good, bed good, kettle. No iron in room. Only negative comment is the sound proofing. Seems like a low cost build has meant that it's pretty easy to hear from neighbouring rooms. Also - thank God for 3G data networks now, so the nasty wireless charges Hotels such as Travelodge try to achieve can be avoided. Overall, I was very pleased with this place and would recommend.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on other side from the car park and the smokers outside!