“Short Break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Caledonian Hotel Newcastle

You added Caledonian Hotel Newcastle to your Saves list
Caledonian Hotel Newcastle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Osborne Road | Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2AT, England   |
Stockport
“Short Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a five day break with Alfa Travel during which we stayed at the Caledonian Hotel in Newcastle. The good impressions started as soon as we entered the hotel. The reception was bright and welcoming. Instead of queuing at the desk to register, addressed envelopes were passed to our group with a key card in. Straight up to our room then. The room was spacious, a small coffee table and two easy chairs near the window and still plenty of room to move round the bed. Room maintenance was excellent. Towels replaced on request, (when left in the bath) and instead of the tiny and almost useless tablets of hotel soap there was a dispenser of good quality liquid soap both above the bath and hand wash basin. The supplies provided for making drinks in the room were of premium quality and could easily be replenished at reception if extra supplies were needed. Although our room was on the road side traffic noise was not intrusive. A friend who traveled with us had a single room and this was also a good size instead of the usual cupboard that passes for a single room.

Food was well prepared and plentiful with good choices of menu items. Breakfast is buffet style with a large selection of both hot and cold items. Dinner was served at table.

The staff throughout were friendly and very helpful.

The hotel, at Jesmond, is only 10/15 minutes from the centre of Newcastle by bus, the stops being very close to the hotel. For those travelling by car there is ample parking at the rear of the hotel where there are also patio areas with outdoor furniture.

Would I stay here again? Certainly if I was in the area.

Room Tip: All good as far as I could tell.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
North West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here last night, we arrived at 12.30 and I had asked the hotel if we could check in a little earlier at 1pm instead of the normal 2pm as we was attending a wedding at 2pm. This was agreed when I booked which was great. So, we arrived at 12.30
To check in and the girl
Behind the desk, told us are room was ready now and we could use the room which was fantastic!

We had a double exec room and it was very nice, bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was massive. Yesterday was 27degrees, so hot and the room felt about 35degrees! There is no air con or fans in the room which is a shame as I felt this was the only thing which let it down! It was just stifling in there.

Outside the hotel, it was very noisy with drinkers, hen and stag dos, but to be honest it's newcastle and I didn't expect anything less. So it really didn't bother me or my
Boyfriend. Checkout was easy and simple.

All in all a nice hotel but it hat needed air con! Or at least a fan!

Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Me and my boyfriend arrived on a Saturday evening for the night and when we pulled up there was a coach outside. My first thought was 'oh no this is going to be overcrowded,noisy etc' but there was nothing to worry about. Our checking in was very professional and easy and we found out that we were getting an upgrade from an executive room (which I had paid £145 inc breakfast) to a suite. This was a nice gesture. We were given our key card to the Jesmond Suite and were over the moon when we walked in. We had a large lounge area which then led on to a bedroom to the side with a massive bed. Everything looked clean and stocked (teabags, sugar etc). The bathroom was of a high standard as well, although the ceramic handle on the toilet fell off but the handle was still usable. There were plenty of fresh towels available and your usual hotel mini supplies such as shower gel and shampoo. Whilst getting ready to go out I found an iron and ironing board which came in pretty handy.

When returning to our hotel room ( a little worse for wear) at about midnight, the hotel was quite quiet, there was a group of young girls heading out. I presumed they would be going to Newcastle city centre as bars in Jesmond tend to close at 11pm. So there was nothing to worry about in terms of noise or rowdiness. Our sleep was perfect as the bed was extremely comfortable and had a sufficient amount of pillows. I was a little worried that because the room was located on the front we may have had a lot of noise but it was pretty quiet and as mentioned before a lot of people tend to head out of Jesmond into the centre once the bars close. However I expect there would be a bit of noise if you were wanting an early night.

The next morning we went along to breakfast which is served from 7:30am till 10am. We went at approx 8:30am and everything looked fresh. There was choice of cooked English breakfast, cereals, croissants, danish pastries, toast (what you would expect really).

Checkout was at 12pm and that was again very simple but professional. I would definitely recommend staying here and would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Certainly in the snobby part of newcastle, city centre isn't too far away either, we got a really good deal. £60 for the night off laterooms.com instead of £130. i wouldn't pay £130 a night thats for sure, but considering the hotels & b&b's i've stayed in in blackpool for the same price this is definately worth the money, great value, friendly customer service and very clean hotel.

Room Tip: Outside the hotel is very very busy indeed with bars and clubs and other hotels. but this hotel was...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I got married here last August and I have no complaints what's so ever!!!! Stayed in a suite which had a sitting area a large bedroom and large en suite rooms were.perfect!!!clean sheets and staff cleaned rooms both days and refreshed sheets. Even members of our wedding party that stayed had no complaints on rooms.Christina dealt with our wedding and was so helpful and did everything she possibly could to make our day perfect which it was!! Had the full use of 3 rooms and the back gardens which were lovely. Would Def recommend the caledonian for your wedding absolutely perfect!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Maldon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We booked the hotel as a base to visit Newcastle and Beamish. It is located in a good position and a short walk from West Jesmond Metro station.
We booked an executive room, it was clean and well equipped but not that large. I would not class it as an executive room, more and standard room. It was at the far end of the hotel and the window faced the rear of the premises. This is a distinct advantage as Osborne Road gets very busy and noisy at night, there are many bars. The is a disco/wedding venue and although noisy finished at mid night which is reasonable.
Breakfast was excellent and despite a busy dining room staff coped very well and the food was kept fully stocked.

Our room was rather warm, we did get a fan but there was a musty smell when we got back each night, this we reported to reception.
The staff were extremely polite and helpful and when asked for anything were very prompt.

Room Tip: choose a rear facing room, the front is very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Our organisation has a somewhat mean overnight accommodation expenses policy and it can be tough to find a decent hotel within the price limits. The Caledonian at £69 (room only) fits within those guidelines, so I booked in myself and 2 colleagues for a midweek overnight stay. On arriving in the taxi, I was a little;e concerned that, as the hotel is in a popular area with a number of bars and restaurants nearby, it might be a bit noisy later in the evening. This was not the case, through it might get a bit 'livelier' on a Friday or Saturday night. My room was perfectly acceptable, it was quite large, clean and with all the usual facilities (nice biscuits too!). The reception are, restaurant and bar were all fine and the service was very good at all times. Breakfast in the morning was very good (excellent bacon - very tasty!) too. I would have no hesitation is staying there again whilst on business and whilst our tight budget policy remains.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Caledonian Hotel Newcastle? Share your experiences!