“4*?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Hotel Newcastle

You added Copthorne Hotel Newcastle to your Saves list
Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Close | Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3RT, England   |
Hotel deals
“4*?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with wife as a treat. Needed to pay for over night parking. We stayed in a dated room, very old fashioned and looled very unclean with hairs in the bath tub amd mould around on the tiles and torn old chairs in room. Will not be returning. Did not seem like 4* there was no robes and nothing in mini bar.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here while on business and, given some of the poor reviews, was a bit worried.

I need not have worried however as the staff on reception were friendly and efficient, even though a Christmas Party Night was going on, and my room was a good size and both clean & comfortable. I had a view over the river and heard no noise from outside or inside the hotel. Breakfast was usual buffet style and again staff were friendly and efficient.

Overall a pleasant experience.

Regards

John

Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel has a really good position by the river Tyne which was on view from a balcony type window in a large size room. The location is on the quayside which is good for some of the more authentic bars/pubs but if you want to go up into town you have a good walk up hill.

The hotel has a car park adjoining for £5 which makes arrival easy. Checkin was also painless and although I did not dine the bar was OK as was breakfast.

BUT the place is just so tired. The doors/woodwork in the bathrooms are all showing signs of damp. Fittings/furnishings are all vary dated. The solution for wheelchair access up some stairs is a timber ramp.

WIFI was available but chargeable - not acceptable in this age. You also can hear the Metro crossing the river on a nearby bridge.

You get the feel an old cruise liner has moored up and is being squeezed to get every last economic penny out of it before it's ultimate decommissioning.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday treat for myself & my daughter, for 24/11/2012 the intention was to have some quality time together. On first arrival the reception area looked quite nice even had a huge lovely Christmas tree & Piano. We checked in and were given room keys but asked to return later for complimentary drinks voucher. We arrived in our room only to be met by a horrible smell (reminded me of the smell of a badly run nursing home) I had booked a club room so was also very disappointed at how small room was. I went to reception and asked for an alternative room as I could not stand the smell, we also asked for the complimentary drinks voucher and were made to feel like we were trying to pull a fast one as we were questions about who asked us to come back for it & how it was very unusual as the vouchers were kept behind reception so we should have had them etc (I felt terrible). We were given a new room which was much larger but still had a bad smell (though not as strong as 1st room) so we kept the second room. Later that evening on our return from our night out we decided to spend drinks voucher and asked for two vodka & tonics as this is what we drink, we were told vouchers could not be used for these drinks again we felt cheap & silly for asking. We had booked breakfast to be served to our room to enable us to have a relaxed breakfast in our own company, what a mistake we were brought a tray with burnt toast (I mean black) porridge but no spoons, no knives or cutlery at all, no butter for the burnt toast, a bowl of very watery warm fruit again no way of eating it no spoon etc. I rang reception and complained and was told a fresh breakfast would be brought up, 40 minutes later it had not arrived & it was too late to go into main dining room for breakfast so we had to miss breakfast all together. We checked out and complained about it and were assured our first complaint had been sent to the kitchen and as an apology did not charge us the £5 parking fee. However, this did not make up for us having to check out and drive to find somewhere to have breakfast. Also I was very disappointed with cleanliness of room, the wooden bath panel was thick of dust. The mattress had a very small thin protector and when i looked under it the mattress was very badly stained and a possible cause for the nasty smell.

Room Tip: I was in an old UN-renovated room so it may be a different experience in a newly renovated room. We...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

From the moment we walked into the Copthorne we knew this is where we wanted to get married! We had a dedicated Wedding Planner which helped with all the arrangements plus Keenan who was a great help on our special day! We got married in the Cuthbert Suite and had our Reception and Evening Party in the Restaurant which was fab! We opted for a Hot Buffet style reception and everyone loved it, it was such a change from the normal 4 course meal but it went down a treat! I would like to say a big thankyou to everyone at the Copthorne Hotel for making our Wedding Day the best ever!!! All the best from the Armstrong Family!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Wow not sure where to start.... Honestly, I might have been able to look past the music that has been keeping me up since 9 p.m (ends somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00 am as the VERY RUDE front desk receptionist informed me---as if I knew when I booked several months ago there would be a big Christmas party on this night) EXCEPT the bed mattress is seriously the WORST mattress I have ever laid on. You are either sleeping with your head completely going downhill or upon rotating it sleeping with a big curve in your back going downhill. So uncomfortable.... Also the lights to the bathroom don't really work well---as in you have to jiggle the light switch just right and they will blink on... I have stayed in $40 rooms better than this one, how sad is that.. So sad that this experience is turing out horrible.

Room Tip: I would Not choose a room here.....
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here on business in December when the temperature was below freezing. The heating in my room didn't work and when I reported this they said it was becuase the place was being refurbished so the heating wasn't working at all. They must have known the rooms would be cold but may no attempt to warn of this at booking stage or check in. I asked for a heater which they gave me but made little differennce. They offered me another heater and an extra duvet but they never turned up. In addition the ironing board would not stand up so I had to kneel on the floor to iron and the bathroom smelled like somone had been smoking in it. Spent a very cold and uncomfortable night wearing my fleece in bed. On reporting all this at checkout the receptionist said she took my call about the extra heater and duvet but offered no explanation why they never materialised and no offer to reduce the bill or compensate me in any way. I stay in Newcastle 2 - 3 nights a week on business but won't be staying at the Copthorne again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Copthorne Hotel Newcastle? Share your experiences!