“Wedding Party” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Garth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1RQ, England   |
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Wedding Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have just celebrated our daughter`s wedding at the Vermont, food,staff,service excellent. I must comment on the attentiveness of the staff throughout the day and the excellent food served throughout. Comfortable rooms with stunning views, yes probably could require updating. But overall a fantastic enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view as these are quieter rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
north england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

If your visiting Newcastle and want the benefits of the party capital of Britain without the downside, see the views, visit the quayside and the city centre with minimum effort, park your car, meet friendly but not obsequious staff in an upmarket but not pretentious hotel this is the place to go. Forget the remarks about "tired décor" you should be enjoying yourself with all the other folks from Dublin, Glasgow, London etc who know a lot more about shoddy places than you will ever learn here.

Room Tip: Ask for high up floor 11 is good and facing the bridges. The lifts are very fast you can exit at flo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

our visit was mainly to see mrs browns boys on the saturday night, after arriving by rain had a little walk before finding it and seems a lovely hotel apart from a small mix up being given the wrong keys and finding shopping bags on the chairs we will forgive them for that!!!! but our correct room had a great view of the river and bridge etc and after some people had warned about train noise hardy heard a thing, we didnt have dinner there as we wanted to be nearer the show though we may of done if they had been a little earlyier starting however breakfast was included in the price which they had a buffet for you to help yourself then someone comes round to ask if you want tea or coffee and any toast, but there is a good choice and i would consider this hotel in the future for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: we had a back room and what a veiw we had !!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
inverurie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

had a lovely wkd with my niece and all the family and friends for her hen party. For £149 for the weekend we had 2 night bed and breakfast with dinner the 2nd night at a restaurant across the road from hotel, also we did the treasure hunt sat morning the on to the cocktail making in the afternoon which we got nachos to eat as well. Breakfastwas lovely both morning, rooms tidy and nice fresh bedding and lovely white bath towels, yes carpet could be doing with a change but that is guests themselves that spoil that, thats the 2nd hen party I have been at and would def go back as hotel itself is not noisy, us old one,s went back to hotel both nights for a relaxing drink before retiring to bed and the ar staff looked after us well. it wasn,t noist with hen partys either. Rooms were very hot, was a fan in room but its been clamy at home as well so can,t blame them for that, yes you did here trains but then I,m from a quiet village so I expected it to be noisy

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in The Vermont for a week when doing some work experience recently. The location really was brilliant, right in the centre of town just a quick walk to Central station or Monument as well as the Quayside. The only problem with the location was that being so close to the train station did mean there was a bit of noise from the trains going past when I was in my room.

Overall I found my room fairly comfortable, maybe a little on the small side but it had two good sized desks which were good for doing work in the evening. I agree with what a lot of people have already said that my room could have done with a little attention. Although there was nothing specifically wrong with it, it just felt a little tired, a few stains on lampshades and the bed for instance. For the money I paid I think I would have expected something a little bit nicer probably.

The staff were generally quite friendly. They printed out some things for me which was very helpful and useful and they were quick to send an iron up to my room when I asked for one. I was a little bit annoyed that when I asked for a receipt for my stay they gave me a bill for 2 breakfasts which I hadn't had but again, they sorted that out quite quickly.

If I could have given this a three and a half I would have done!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in the heart of the city centre. Although some areas of the building are beautiful and ooze class, the rooms could do with a little updating (the tv was old fashioned and the shower needed modernising)

It has an excellent location and the Livello bar underneath is one of Newcastle's hotspots. Ordered room service and it arrived promptly, wasn't too pricey and the food was lovely.

So aside from a few minor decor and appliance shortfalls, this hotel I can recommend to anyone wanting to visit the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for a work medical conference. Hotel was the most expensive listed on the conference website so I thought it would be a nice splurge. This place was a huge dissapointment.

First off the rooms are terribly dated. When I went into the bathroom I found several hairs in the tub and one was stuck with something to the counter. Usually I dont complain about these types of things but it sets a tone for the rest of the room. The TV was an old with broken cable. Usually when I travel I do not watch tv but as this was a work conference it would have been nice. When I called the front desk they informed me it would be fixed tomorrow. A quick search on tripadvisor told me that the cable has been out for several months. I do not appreciate being deceived.

The shower did not drain. This is not uncommon but this drainage was a huge problem as the tub was nearly filled after a 10-15minute shower (see picture). Removing the drain cover did not help much. I told the front desk about this but no one from maintenance ever did come to look.

I put some valuables in the safe. I DID NOT forget my code. The safe malfunctioned and I could not access my valuables. When I asked for someone to open it for me I was informed (after waiting some time for an answer) that they have lost the key (or whatever it is) to access the boxes and it will have to be sawed open. A concierge tried to open it with a hammer but to no avail. The box did pop open later but the whole ordeal was worrisome. What if I had to catch a flight.

Additional problems include not receiving a wake up call I had requested on my first night and very very slow elevators.

I should mention that after I complained to the hotel staff I was refunded one nights stay and moved to a better room (this room had been renovated with a flat screen TV and working cable). Why I was not given this room in the first place is beyond me. This new room was not without faults either as the cold water tap in the bathroom did not work and it was located over a very loud night club (note:im only 30 and am not so far out of date that I dont know what it is to go to a club but this was insanely loud). Luckily this was my last night in this very dissapointing hotel.

On the positive it has a great location and was close to the conference centre and the downtown. Breakfast was good. The staff was polite and working with what they had. The manager very apologetic with my complaints. Unless you can get a room here for very very cheap (seems they offer online discounts) I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I requested a "nice room with a view" but perhaps you should specify a QUIET room in the u...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Vermont Hotel? Share your experiences!