“Lovely for a One Night stay” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Vermont Hotel to your Saves list
The Vermont Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Garth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1RQ, England   |
Leven, Fife
“Lovely for a One Night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Vermont Hotel with my wife. Lovely hotel, very welcoming staff and a beautiful lounge. Beware it's not a quiet spot, obviously we stayed on a Saturday and the nightlife is very loud. The room was lovely, although the wifi didn't reach our room, the heating in the sitting area didn't work as well as the television in the bedroom. We reported all these faults on our departure. Hopefully they'll be sorted!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

832 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times since Christmas and have always loved it. Reading some of the comments on here I wonder if we're talking about the same place. Yes the decor of the rooms is a bit dated and tired but this is being rectified. The reception, lounge and bar have already been done since I was last here and are excellent. I have always found the staff delightful. The castle side is much quieter, especially at weekends. I am a light sleeper and find the beds comfortable and have never been bothered by the railway line. The trains stop running round about midnight. I'd like to say that I stay in a lot of hotels all over the world and this is a favourite. As I say, the rooms have had their day but renovation on now happening. I have never had a room that has smelt bad! I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Good directions and parking information before arrival by Rhona. On arrival pleasant reception staff. The room itself was a good size but smelt badly of TCP. Opened the window but it didn't get much better. The room was clean, but odd marks on the carpet. Would rather have had a safe in the room than a Corby trouser press. Despite the hotel clearly not being full our room was nearly on the east coast main line and the window looked onto a brick wall, which is poor service in my opinion. On the upside the bar area really is lovely, very nicely decorated and bar prices reasonable. Stayed here to go to a concert, really needed a shower in the morning. No hot water. Phone call to reception received a curt unhelpful 'it will be back maybe in an hour mmmm' then the call was ended by the receptionist. We left the hotel for a walk round the city, checked out at 11.30am after walking past a still flooded boiler room. Not the best hotel experience! Shame really, it could be a gem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the railway line, we were so close we could hear the tannoy announceme...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I regularly visit Newcastle-upon-Tyne on both business and pleasure. I would normally stay at Malmaison or Hotel du Vin. I have often seen the Vermont Hotel, it is in a very prominent location and has an imposing and welcoming entrance. I decided to give it a chance. It was a big mistake. The bed was like a blancmange. It had no support whatsoever. Appalling is a strong word but the best description I can offer. If I had managed to get to sleep on it then I would have been awakened by the bell from the adjacent church which rings every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. But, to top it all, there was no hot water this morning from either from the sink, shower or bath. I've awarded it one star, but only because the system doesn't allow me to offer no stars. Simply awful.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for one night on Sunday 31 March 2013. Upon arrival we were extremely impressed with the lobby and surroundings and we were happy at how close the hotel was to the main town.

When we checked in, the lady at reception was very unhelpful. She asked me for my credit card and didn't even explain why she needed this! I assumed this was due to the mini bar in our room. she gave us our room number and didn't explain to us where the lift was or the location of our room, so we had to ask the concierge. We had paid for breakfast and the lady didn't tell us when breakfast was, where it was or if we needed anything to show to prove we had this included as she had took my confirmation. i was very unimpressed with this level or service especially after how impressed i was when we first walked in to the hotel.

Upon arrival to our room, i was very surprised at the down grade from the beautiful lobby to the small dark room with the view of a building 3 foot away from the window. The standard of the room was very clean, and the bed was comfy. The bath kept letting water out as the plug would not stop the water from disappearing!

The next morning we went to the breakfast room after reading where this was from the booklet provided in the room. We sat down and the lady came over asking for our name. we ordered toast and tea and the lady again approached us to state that we were not on the guest list for breakfast. I explained that i had already paid for breakfast but the lady had took my confirmation when we checked in, she was very nice and said she would check but this is something you shouldn't have to worry about at half 8 on a morning when you had already paid and this put me off indulging when i kept wondering if i was going to be paying twice.

All in all it was a nice enough hotel which was very close to the town which suited us. However, these bad points are enough for us to choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

19 of us stayed for a hen doo and the staff couldn't have been more helpful if they tried. A few issues had by us but with such a big party it was going to happen but every complaint we made was dealt with immediately. I wasn't happy with my room, rang reception and they changed it ASAP no argument. Yes the rooms are not decorated as beautifully as the bar and reception but they were clean for sleeping in which is what you use them for right??
I would stay here again and again and def recommend to any of my friends.
Thank you to all the staff at The Vermont who made our weekend as easy as poss.

• Stayed April 2013
Tyne and Wear
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and friends met for a meal on Saturday afternoon. It took more than half an hour for 1st drinks .Food ordered 2 of the party ordered risotto which apparently came with Parmesan crisps .the risotto arrived without the crisps so we reminded the staff they were missing ,after another 3 members of staff had been asked to chase the crisps up eventually they arrived..... After the meal was eaten!.the so called Parmesan crisps were simply melted Parmesan on a plate. It was then fairly clear that the chef & the staff had no idea what they are supposed to look like .this was pointed out to a lady who appeared to be a duty managed. She apologised but failed to offer any money off the bill or even complementary drinks.we then attempted to get more drinks but after a long wait we called it a day !
Over priced ... Under staffed ... Very badly organised.

Stick to cafe 21 next time !!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Vermont Hotel? Share your experiences!