“The most awful breakfast I have seen in years” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Vermont Hotel to your Saves list
The Vermont Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Garth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1RQ, England   |
Bangkok
“The most awful breakfast I have seen in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Dissapointing for the money. We stayed for 1 night on the 27th Dec in a Junior Suite. Our friends stayed in an ordinary room and we got charged 60 pounds more for the juniro suite which was 2 feet larger than there room. See good and bad points below...

Worst bits:
- The Breakfast room food was awful, I think in my travelling both for work and pleasure this is the most appaling breakfast I have ever been served at a 4 star hotel
- Porter did not help us with our bags even though he could see we were laydened down with these.
- Disco next door bar went on till 2am and you could hear it in the room
- The hotel was cutting corners everywhere room was cold when we arrived and we had to turn on heaters to warm up. should have been done before hand they new we were coming
- There was a lack of staff in the bar on the night we arrived
- There appeared to be many staff but little coordination and management again in the breakfast room.
- Rooms are old and in need of update

Best points:
- It's central to newcastle
- View was great of bridge
- The bar is lovely and fireplace great for winter days

Overall dissapointing for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Got a fantastic offer of Sleep, Wine & Dine for £99 for myself and my boyfriend. Fantastic value for money which included room, 5 course meal, free entry into Bar Livello which is a lovely bar next door to the hotel and breakfast in the morning.

Hotel is in a fantastic location, right on the quayside. Rooms were dated but for what we paid, it was clean which is all that matters. Food was lovely and service was very good.

Perfect for a city break or even a night out with friends as its in an ideal location. Close to nightlife.

Once it has been refurbished it will rival some of the best in newcastle

• Stayed December 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have only once previously been to the hotel, for a wedding about seven years ago. Last week my daughter and I went out to a Edwardian hall for tea and found the whole experience lack-lustre and dismal. I was discussing this with a friend, who enthused about the Vermont.

Booking first was a boon; the person taking the booking advised us they would set us a table by the fire. We were early but the table was already set and nothing, and I mean nothing was too much trouble for them.

The tea itself is quintessentially English, the scones were fresh, as in out of the oven fresh - warm and soft. The sandwiches were a brilliant mix of meat, with some excellent touches - "proper" ham and grained mustard. The cakes too were spiffing. Beautifully presented.

Ambience wise, it is probably one of the most relaxed, laid back and unobtrusive, yet attentive service we have had for ages. The staff do make the occasion - and the lady that served us was a delight. She actually popped over to say goodbye before finishing for the day and my daughter and I both commented on what a great experience it was. Sometimes personal recommendation goes a long way, and this being a local venue, we shall return.

Also there are spaces with free parking at the front, now what more could you want?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

we booked a junior suite through booking.com for the 31st dec. and 1st jan bit pricey but it's that time of year, and we booked a table for two in the heritage suite for the nye function, the room was spacious maybe just a bit dated but it was on the 11th floor with great views over the quayside and river and tyne bridge, sat nav took us direct to hotel allthough parking is a bit sparse for the size of hotel. I asked the concierge if there was any accessable parking to avoid having to use the steps at the main enterance but he did not seem to understand what i meant until i said parking for disabled, he then said if i went to dean street entrance i could park there as there were no steps, so i went and had a look there was parking for two cars one was taken with a 7 seat vehicle and the other a ferarri neither which had blue badges on them but in fairness the parking was not designated for disabled parking so the hotel as far as i could see did not cater for people who need disabled parking, reception when we went in was very busy but we did not have to wait long allthough the receptionist could not tell me which room we were in for the nye function and had to go and find out, to get to 11th floor you had to wait on the lift one of two but the the other was off for routine maintainance the sign said(at the busiest days of the year, bad planning there i think) so it was a trifle congested. the meal its self was good but the second course which was smoked salmon (i do not eat it) i asked if there was an alternative i was told no but there was another course to follow so i could have that, the piper at midnight was abissmall either his pipes were seriously out of tune or his piping skills were not good. the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
U.K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Vermont for one night late December for a DBB deal.
Loved it. Nice decor and staff. Great location, right the quayside and close to the centre of Newcastle. Reception staff were good and quick although along with other reveiwers I was supprised we couldnt check in a little earlier than the 2.00 stated (we were told by one of the staff that the the hotel was empty all week) The room was lovely.
The evening meal was nice if a little limited and the breakfast was good. All in all at £99 per room dbb what more can you want.

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I found a great deal on this hotel for myself and husband to stay on boxing day evening. Breakfast included. As it was such a great deal, (45 pound in total), and after reading many reviews I was a little apprehensive that we would be in a less than satisfactory room. However I was pleasantly surprised. When I booked I specified in the requests box, "A high floor with a view of the river". And this is exactly what we got. We were in room 1008 with a great view. Yes the room is old fashioned in its decor but it was not shabby or tatty. Perhaps in need of slight updating but it was still very clean and a good size for the price. My advice would be to specify you requirements when booking the room.

Room Tip: Specify what you want when booking in the requests box. Choose a room facing the river so you are no...
Morpeth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked through HRS online. We arrived at 1:30pm and were told we could not check in until 2pm, my husband and I came back at 2pm and checked into our room, the receptionist took my card details and I gave her my hotel confirmation which showed that we had prepaid for our stay, she said that was fine and gave us our room key. Our room was 902 it was spacious but extremely dated with old flowery wallpaper which is curling at the edges, there was dust everywhere! The bathroom had mould, this wasn't the worst thing though, the room looks onto the railway line and every time a train passed it was extremely noisy in total I would say around 8-9 trains passed, baring in mind that we only spent a few hours in our room, and there was a reduced service due to new year holidays! Upon checking out I was asked for payment despite my conversation with the previous hotel receptionist, I gave her my hotel confirmation which had a receipt for payment, she seemed adamant that I needed to pay, until she spoke to her manager, she then came back and said they would sort it!! What on earth does that mean? It's a great location and the outside looks great, it's a shame about the outside and the staff who obviously don't communicate!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SThanon, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. I am pleased to advise that as part of the forthcoming improvement program a £3m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect.
I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Been to The Vermont Hotel? Share your experiences!