Reading some of the reviews before booking I did wonder if this was the right hotel to choose, however I need not have worried. Although the first impression was not good, we arrived late on Monday afternoon to an empty car park strewn with KFC boxes from the outlet across the road, also all the bins surrounding the hotel were overflowing. The reception staff were ery good and we were soon in our room, I did notice something which confirmed the reviews about rowdy behaviour, all the fire extinguishers were fitted with alarms, something you don't see every day.
The room was on the ground floor and faced the roundabout at the top of the rise behind the hotel, even when busy the sound was not bad at all and we had a very quite stay. The room was clean and well maintained, could not fault it, the breakfast room was large and the actual breakfast bar area a good size, the food was fine, the usual HIE breakfast offerings.
One question though, what was the orange liquid that came out of the machine marked orange juice?
As mentioned in an earlier review the hotel has several restaurants around it and the Angel pub a short walk towards the Metro Centre. Someone previously mentioned that you could walk to the Metro Centre, yes you can but I would not recommend it if you intend to buy anything as it is quite a walk, better take your car.
As we stayed from Monday to Thursday I guessed we avoided any groups of young people so we had a quite stay in the hotel. The hotel is ideally located if you want to visit any of the sites along Hadrians Wall, as we did and shop at the Metro Centre again as we did, we will certainly stay there again.
By the way when we left, the bins were still overflowing, does no one empty them?
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre Hotel
- Holiday Inn Newcastle
- Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Express by Holiday Inn Newcastle Metrocentre is a modern designed hotel located ideally just off the A1. Guest rooms accommodate up to two adults and two children and include free continental breakfast and free parking. Guest rooms are en-suite and include power shower, high speed wifi internet, hair dryer and telephone. Express by Holiday Inn Newcastle Metrocentre is situated in Newcastle Upon Tyne and is only a short distance from Gateshead, Sunderland and Durham making us an excellent choice for a stay in the area or a stop off when on your travels. For the corporate traveller the Express by Holiday Inn Newcastle Metrocentre is situated only a short distance from Newcastle Business Park, Newburn Riverside Park, The Watermark and Team Valley Trading Estate. Major companies situated near to the hotel are Bae Systems and ITV Television. For the leisure traveller the hotel is situated a short walk from the Metrocentre shopping complex, one of Europe's largest shopping centres, Newcastle city centre is only 3.5 miles away from the hotel and the Newcastle Nightlife is a must see for any party goers. The city's many attractions also include Newcastle United Football Club, Metro Radio Arena and of course the famous Tyne Bridge and the Gateshead Millenuim Bridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.