“Fit for purpose - great location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Newgate Hotel to your Saves list
Newgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5SX, England   |
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Fit for purpose - great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went here for my stag do, it was cheap and you pretty much get what you pay for. I was actually expecting it to be much worse at only £40 a night (pp), so was surprised when there weren't any farm yard animals living in my room.

Good points: Location is perfect for a stag trip, you are 25 metres from tiger tiger & sam jacks and a batch of clubs and bars, you have Mc'D's to the left, kfc to the right and pizza hut to the front and rear ! 20 minutes walk from the quay and you will not need to worry about a taxi anywhere, which was our main plan for staying here. Staff were all pleasant and we had no issues over our 3 days.

Bad: In my opinion (not being snobby as me and the miss's usually go for 5's & 4'S) this is as far removed from a 3 star that I have ever stayed in, its not one for a romantic weekend. Its clean ish and could do with a lick of paint and the walk to reception is through a mass of other derelict rooms is a bit daunting, im imagining if you were a female at night with a load of drunk lads running about. Also the bar, well, I wouldn't call it a bar, a fridge with a few beers in it and no pumps, but we weren't it in, we came to Newcastle to go out and you'll do the same when you see the bar. Rooms were really really warm as well, we had the window open the whole time and still felt like the heating was on. The lift buttons kept us entertained as they are not near the lifts, but this was a plus as it kept us laughing.

Summary: Not for the average traveller who is looking to sight see or have a relaxing weekend, or the romantic couple. This is geared up for stag and hens (id say more stags as I only say 5 women the whole time we were there) and at this it was perfect, 2 seconds away from the nightlife and everything you need for a good stag weekend. Not the cleanest but didn't expect it to be and would only use it for a lads weekend again and I would use it again for that purpose.

Gave it an average as we did have a good weekend and the hotel was a stopping point just to sleep and the location was perfect, if I had come with the her it would be a lot less and I probably wouldn't be getting married for booking it !

Oh and avoid the chicken shop directly below, that isn't no chicken !

Room Tip: Drink a lot of alcohol and your room choice wont matter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, your views are important to us.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met your purpose and you found the location to be excellent.

I hope that we will have the pleasure in welcoming you again in the near future.

Julie Riddell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
sunderland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is right in the centre of Newcastle handy for all that Newcastle has to offer. The hotel its self is very dated and this was shown in the condition of my room and interior of the hotel. The bathroom was "cleanish" but could do with a deep clean and a bit of maintenance. The room could have done with a coat of paint, the bed squeaked with every turn. The only air that entered the room was through the open window so if its warm when you go you are going to be very hot indeed. A good point was the onsite free car park which most central hotels lack and the bar prices are reasonable. Would I stay again....No way! Come on management wake up and spend some money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your views on Trip Advisor.

I have taken on board your comments and have requested that the team actions the maintenance and cleanliness issues yopu have raised.

Thanks again for bringing these issues to our attention.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

after reading the reviews on here was a bit sceptical about staying here. the rooms are basic and not very modern, but they're clean. the location is excellent, right on the doorstep to everything. perfect place to stay if you're away for a stag/hen/drinking weekend!! staff are friendly and helpful, especially the night staff! :) will definitely be staying here when we visit again.

• Stayed July 2013
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review with Trip Advisor, we value your views.

I am very pleased that the location was excellent for you and that you found the rooms to be clean.

The staff are delighted that you found them friendly and helpful.

We will be pleased to welcome you when you return to Newcastle.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in order to attend my daughter’s graduation. The Hotel was built in the late 60’s and unfortunately it suffers from that decades architecture, however we found the both rooms very clean and for the price excellent value for money for a City Centre Hotel. The car park is located right next to the 1st floor entrance to the hotel, however finding it using sat nav is horrendous due to the one-way system. Best bet is to call ahead to the hotel and get precise instructions.
The breakfast in the morning is excellent value for £7, and it was so nice to get a freshly cooked meal instead of the usual limp bacon and rock solid fried egg which seem to be the order of the day at most city centre establishments.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, overall a much better experience than we feared.

Room Tip: Phone ahead for directions to the car park. Rooms overlooking the car park are queter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, we really appreciate your feedback.

We are all delighted that you found the rooms to be clean, the car park to be of use to you and that you enjoyed your breakfast. The staff are very happy that you found them all to be friendly and helpful.

We hope that we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel was very disappointing. Old and very shabby. It is a shame really because it is in a great location, right in the centre of Newcastle and with plenty of parking. I booked through laterooms and got it for a reasonable price, but if I had paid the full advertised price, I would definitely asked for a refund. I have stayed in much better hotels for less money. At least it was clean and I was only there for one night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with Newgate Hotel, although I am pleased to see that you found the room to be clean.

Many thanks again for posting your comments, your views are important to us.

Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Unless you are on a Hen/Stag do and intend to be drunk the whole time stear clear of this place!. I am not a snob by any stretch of the imagination but this quite seriously is the worst dump I have EVER stayed in.
Aside from the shabby decor, which I could forgive to a certain extent due to the age of the building, what I won't forgive is filth. If you are unlucky enough to enter from the street entrance, passed the dirty hallways, up the stairs of dirty, threadbare carpet, you will enter reception which is actually not that bad and you breathe a slight sigh of relief. But then you look at the Terrace bar - which overlooks the car park and ressembles a 1970's tap room in an old working mens club, dark, dreary, dirty. Not somewhere where you can have a pleasant drink before bed. So you bypass that and try to head up to your room. Of course to call the steel encased lift that reeks of urine (worse than those in high rise council flats - I know I used to live in one) you have to walk to other side of reception to press the button as quite obvioulsy there was a lift on the other side at some point but they were too lazy to move the electrics. Once in your room (which thankfully is clean) you need to overlook the plug sockets hanging out of the walls, the 'desk' which is basically an unpainted piece of chipboard stuck on the wall, the taps hanging out of the wall in the bathroom, the numerous holes in walls and doors that have been badly filled with polyfilla and just left, and the stained bathtubs.
To be honest I never even attempted the breakfast as quite frankly I didnt want to risk it.
This was a business trip and i felt it would be a really useful location for me, but to be quite frank it looks to me like this hotel has accomodated far too many hens and stags who have completely wrecked the place. It is most definitely NOT for business people or anyone wanting a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review with Trip Advisor.

I am very disappointed that the Newgate Hotel did not meet your expectations. I have llooked into the maintenance issues you have highlighted and have not found any rooms where the plug sockets or taps are hanging out of the walls.

We would always prefer guests to highlight any issues during their stay so that we are given the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

I am sorry that we did meet your requirements, but I am grateful that you have brought your comments to our attention as your view are important to us.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is not plush by any means but the rooms are comfortable, shower gel and shampoo are provided and there are plenty of towels, TV, Iron and ironing board. Its a good location for a hen or stag weekend with shops, clubs and eating places right on your doorstep. They are tend to put the party people on the same floors. They take a £30 deposit each for damages and read you out a list of rules when you check in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review with Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Newgate Hotel and that it suited your purpose.

Unfortunately, due to the actions of a minority of guests means that we have to impose the deposit procedure, although it is rare that this is withheld.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure in welcioming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Julie Riddell

Been to Newgate Hotel? Share your experiences!