“definitely recommend this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Newgate Hotel to your Saves list
Newgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5SX, England   |
Listowel, Ireland
“definitely recommend this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

i found this hotel ideal for visiting newcastle . it was very central and the staff were very helpful and friendly made our stay very pleasant. it was also very clean and the breakfast was lovely . i couldnt fault anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be very happy to learn that you found them to be friendly and helpful.

I hope that we will welcome you to the hotel again in the near future.

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just had the worse Two nights of my life at this hotel, first hotel where you have to wipe your feet when you leave! the rooms not like what i saw on the website was awful, I know its nightclub land but dont put couples near stag weekends or hen nights we had our door knocked on they tried swiping their card in the door too they was all so drunk it was hell shouting and is a quiet part to the hotel your still hear the noise they just want the money, groups where booking in on the day.so if you want quality then give this one a miss its should be called nightclub hotel its hell the rooms they show just to get you there! i went by some of the reviews and thought id give it a go but if its a shopping weekend or visiting family this is not the hotel for you as people are coming in all times of the night..... The staff never even gave a nice welcome or when we left not a hope to see you again.... (as they know they wont) Nice Hotel down the road called the Thistle thinks il be booking there next time.....

Room Tip: The Thistle Hotel down the road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. We always prefer for guests to advise of problems during their stay so that we are given the opportunity to rectify them.

I am sorry to read that you were disturbed by other guests during your stay. Unfortunately, we are not able to distinguish from a booking exactly why people are visiting the city, and so cannot separate the room allocations as you suggest.

Many thanks again for your post

Irvine, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

In my job, I travel about the UK and stay overnight on a regular basis.

Firstly, if you have had the mis-fortune to have already booked this hell hole and are planning to drive, pay no attention to the directions given by the Newgate, to reach their car park. You will be going round in circles for ages, looking for it!!!

I have just checked into this "hotel" and was met by a young girl who could barely speak English to find that they had charged me for 2 people, for 2 nights B & B, although I was travelling alone. When I asked her, slowly, to correct this, I was met with a glum stare and a "I know nothing" in a Fawlty Towers kind of way.

After that marvellous entrance, I made my way up to my room to be met with mould on the bathroom ceiling, dirt in between the floor tiles and wallpaper hanging off the wall in the bedroom - DISGUSTING.

I can only advise others to steer well clear of this place and upgrade to the nearest Bus Shelter.

I will never step foot in this place EVER AGAIN!!!!

Room Tip: Another hotel!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to read your review. Firstly, we always prefer guests to bring any problems to our attention during their stay so that we are given the opportunity to rectify them. Sadly on this occasion this was not the case in respect of your bedroom.

I have checked with the receptionist and she has shown me that you had been charged the amount for the booking as made by you on the internet booking site you used, and this was clearly shown on your own confirmation.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

When we first read the reviews on this hotel, me&my best mate weren't too sure as tey said that it was dirty and not a good hotel to stay in. We first went for Halloween 2011, and our first thought was that from the outside it did look a bit dingey - however, when we where inside, it did have a home like feeling, a nice warm atmosphere. The rooms where perfect for two girls away for a mad weekend, the staff never complained about the noise and were always friendly.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone thats going to Newcastle for a fun weekend, whether it be a birthday, stag/hen do etc. The hotel is in the middle on 'the toon' - therefore no taxis are required.

We loved the hotel that much, that we went again for Halloween 2012, and are now going again in Feb for my Mates 21st with a group of friends!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that the Newgate Hotel, not only meets, but exceeds your expectations.

The staff are always very pleased to hear of positive commetns about that the service that they deliver.

I am very pleased to see that we will be welcoming you back again in the New Year.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

when we arrived the girl on the desk called faye was very pleasant and helpful , she stored our luggage for us as we wer there a few hours early she advised us of where to go and what to look out for ,my stay was fine i had no problems , there was a very helpful night manager caled neil aswell he was so very helpful and went out of his way to help us with everything we needed , he gave us a taxi number because we wer telling him about the price of the taxi from the airport and we use this taxi service going back to the airport and it saved us nearly by half of the price we paid traveling to the hotel ,all of the staff wer helpful and friendly but neil and faye wer the ones that wer most helpful ,i would stay there again :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
JRiddell, General Manager at Newgate Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Newgate Hotel.

I will pass on your comments to Faye and Neil, they will be very pleased that they have received such positive comments.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Newgate Hotel again in the near future.

Colne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is in a great location for shopping and nightlife if you a young person but was very difficult to find the entrance to the carpark as it is situated around the back, two reception staff were unhelpful and couldnt give me directions. The carpark was the reason i chose this hotel as most do not have on site parking and didnt want to struggle in a busy city centre that is new to us. The hotel needs a good tidy up and and updating. The front entrance and lobby way is a gathering place for drunks to sit on the stairs and felt uncomfortable coming back in at night. Apart from the grumbles the breakfast was not too bad.

Room Tip: If you just want a room for a party night then its perfect if you dont want any sleep, our noisy nei...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations and that you found the staff unhelpful in respect of directions. I will discuss with the Reception team.

I have requested that all members of the team make increased patrols of the street entrance to ensure that the area is not a meeting place for undesirables.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Our rooms were robbed of passports iPods and docking station staff didn't seem to give a damn and still had the cheek to take our 150 pound deposit from us because a window worth 5 pound was broken from the outside will never go near the hotel again

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your post on Trip Advisor. I am amazed to read your comments.

Firstly, no report of theft from a room was made to the Duty Manager, and we have had no investigation from the Police regarding this either.

From your party, one room had been smoking in the room, and the hotel is non smoking throughout. With regard to the window you are assured that being 4 foot sqare it does cost more that £5.00!!

Your review only emphasises the need for the hotel to make bond charges to groups!

Julie Riddell

Been to Newgate Hotel? Share your experiences!