“Great find - reasonable price, great location and a fantastic restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Ryokan Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Ryokan Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Ryokan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   358 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6NU, England   |
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great find - reasonable price, great location and a fantastic restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed in Newcastle loads of time - mostly on business - and have been in loads of hotels in the town. Some were good and have faded badly (Copthorne) and others are just too expensive now (Jury's). So I was looking for a central location and a decent hotel. Came across this hotel and gave it a try for 1 night. I was thrilled with my find! It is a very comfortable hotel. Good sized rooms and very clean. Comfortable bed and nice shower. Good location - 10 minutes walk down the hill to central Newcastle - or a very short taxi ride (and free parking!) The real bonus is a superb Punjabi restaurant on the premises. Obviously very well regarded by the locals the restaurant is busy, but in a nice way.
Service has been excellent from check-in to departure. Friendly and respectful. Having read some of the earlier reviews and criticisms I wonder if a) the hotel has sorted the problems or, b) the guests were 'hard to please'? I travel in my job and stay in hotels 2-3 nights per week - and this is a very good business hotel
On my next visit to Newcastle I'll be booking the Ryokan Best Western - you should too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Man at front desk was very rude when we arrived. The next morning I told the manager & he made excuses for him. The manager was friendly but it really upset me that instead of apologising for his bad employee's disrespectful behavior, he told me he's never had problems with this man before. Room was nice although I found hair in my coffee mug. Comfortable bed.

• Stayed April 2013
Ryokan358, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ryokan Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Proudafwife1120,

Thank you for your feedback, as explaned on check out possibly you found the member of staffs attitude to be unsuitable? On the three years we have been open this is the first every complaint of this nature. He is very respectful to guests as this is his culture etc.

Unfortunatly I don't appologise for others behaviour. On the subject of the hair in the cup in the bedroom, I will speak to Housekeeping.

Kind Regards

Ian Nicholls
Malle, belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hotel is located on a busy street. Having the street window not isolated since you could hear the street noise as of the windows was open. Room was otherwise fine by smalle. Bathroom ok until the suction ventilator started off as an airplane. Internet was ok. Breakfast quite basic with limited service. Ordered scrambled eggs looked more greyish than the expected yellow. Bacon looked more industrial than the one you expect to get.
Reception desk not always staffed. Upon entry, I had to look for someone in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Iver, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk or 3-minute bus ride from Newcastle Central station. From the outside it looks a little dated although as soon as you step through the front door it has clearly been recently modernised and refurbished. Check-in was very quick and the receptionist was helpful and welcoming. I was only staying one night as I had a meeting in Newcastle - I ate dinner at the restaurant (Luigikhan's) which was fantastic, although I've reviewed that separately.

Breakfast was sadly not up to the standard of dinner - I notice previous reviewers commented on the bacon being odd. This is because it isn't bacon, but turkey rashers. I'm guessing the reason is the same as the reason why the sausages were beef rather than pork! I decided to go for the scrambled egg and smoked salmon which took quite a while to arrive and was unfortunately not as hot as it could have been.

I was able to use the free WiFi in the restaurant and reception but not in my room - something that has been experienced by other reviewers so maybe something they need to look at...particularly as this was one of the things that attracted me to the hotel.

Despite the issues the hotel was great, comfortable bed, very clean room and bathroom. Checkout was easy and the room was just what I needed - I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we have chosen Best Western Hotels in the past and always been pleased.

The positives first the staff were friendly and welcoming when we arrived and throught our stay. Our room was clean if basic. Good, safe parking The negatives, we had booked breakfast for three mornings and the first morning my husband had the full English. The bacon looked decidedly odd and my husband thought it was preformed and not proper bacon. The egg was over cooked. I have poached eggs they were over cooked and one was only very slightly runny, the other hard. The second morning was worse the eggs were inedible. The coffee tastless we both felt they cut corners over the breakfast.
Although the the room was clean the bed was so uncomfortable and the pillows really hard. I barely slept for three nights. We were also kept awake by the fire door banging. I got to know if I heard a squeak a second later would be a double bang of the door. If someone flushed the toilet or turned a tap on we could hear it very loudly in our room. I was very disappointed as we had looked at other people's reviews before booking and they looked positive. We won't be rushing back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've stayed four times at the Ryokan now, and three of those have been wonderful. It's a little hotel, with a maximum of about 20 rooms, and the rooms are normally well maintained and spotless and very quiet. The staff are polite but unobtrusive, it's a fantastic place to stay.

However, my stay at the end of January was terrible. Check in was as flawless as usual, but I was given Room 210 - the tenth room on the first floor. Oh dear.

Upon entering the room, I noticed a series of darker droplet type stains leading from the room door to the door of the en-suite bathroom...well, okay, it's a hotel. This trail terminated in two large and very noticeable bright red blood smears on the carpet - clearly someone had "enjoyed" a night out in Newcastle! It was late and I was tired - fine, I'll wear my shoes.

The bathroom itself was okay, but there were damp patches on the ceiling of the bedroom where clearly there had been a leak or a flood from the water tanks in the attic, which were above my bed in room 210. I know that's where the water tanks and boilers are, because they clanked and whistled al night long, making it almost impossible to have a good night's sleep.

I will admit I didn't complain when checking out. The staff member on the desk was so nice and friendly I didn't want to grumble, and arguably I'd stayed in the room and not complained at the time.

However, I will be a little more wary when staying there again, and would advise people to avoid Room 210, with it's boilers and water stains, and blood soaked carpet!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are better, but don't stay in Room 210, the heating and boilers are above the bed...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryokan358, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ryokan Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear NotonTwitter,

Thank you for your feedback. We always like to hear from guests regarding their stay. If I can reply to your observations. The stains on the carpet are from where the previous guest had died their hair, and the stain is actually hair dye. We have tried removing but as you can see it has left a faded patch.

The water marks on the ceiling are from where we had a leak on the roof, which has been repaired and we are awaiting the decorator repaining the room. The hotel has no water tanks or boilers in the roof space. The water is instant hot water via the boilers located at the Reception area of hotel, the opposite end of the building. I will however have them check the extractor fan from the kitchen regarding the noise.

I hope this will not deter you from booking again?

Kind Regards

Ian

Ian Nicholls
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

When you're looking forward to your overnight business trip you know you're heading to a good hotel and following my last Newcastle trip and a garbage premier inn it was back to the Ryokan.

A smooth check in as ever although my WIFI wasn't working in the room and apparently couldn't be fixed on the spot which was a tad frustrating. Other than that and a noisy kitchen extraction system (worth noting its the first time I've ever heard it) the room was spot on.

Dinner was fantastic and I even invited a Newcastle based friend out for the evening and she was blown away by the ambience, service and quality that the hotel's restaurant delivers.

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles but they're working on it do please don't be put off. Stay at the Ryokan and prepare to be blown away!!

• Stayed January 2013