“God Awful!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“God Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I went here with a few girlfriends after purchasing the £5 deal on wowcher.
Everything was terrible!
Despite the deal clearly stating that garlic bread could be ordered as a starter, the owner wouldn't let us and was rather rude. You couldn't actually get a starter for the value quoted in the deal and had no choice but to pay extra. I wouldn't have minded if the food was actually good but it was awful! A few had potato skins which literally looked like someone had just peeled some potatoes and chucked the scraps on a plate. They were supposed to come with dips but we were told they had none left. Needless to say, we did not eat them!
Onto the main course and I think one out of six of us ate it. How can you get carbonara wrong? It was really watery and again inedible. We also had to help ourselves to pepper and Parmesan as we were not offered any.
The staff didn't seemed bothered by all the leftover food, I'm sure this happens all the time.
We didn't bother with dessert and were surprised when the bill came through. They don't seem to own a till and basically were given the waiters slip with a bunch of costs on and the total written on the back. Thankfully we were able to count and worked out that they had overcharged us by over £40! This took a bit of explaining but eventually settled, although looking back we all question why we didn't just pay for the drinks and refuse to pay for the food!
From the outside it looks like a dump and this doesn't get better inside. Toilets are very run down too.
Overall, everything was crap and I would really question why anyone would go there! Wish I'd looked on tripadvisor first as there are no end of reviews for this place which are pretty much all poor!

• Visited January 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“worst pizza I have ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went last night and was very disappointed, this used to be a very popular and well ran restaurant, unfortunately it has gone downhill. Our starters were fine, cant really go wrong with a prawn cocktail and potato skins. My pizza has to be the worst I have ever encountered, the base was thick and stodgy and more like a tough pastry then pizza dough, the tomato sauce was tasteless, my hubbys lasagne had a very strange texture, not sure what meat was used, he also said it did not have much taste. They need to replace the chef and get someone who knows how to cook italian food. They also need to do something about the little flies that kept hovering around the table.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Dear God! Avoid at all costs! No Groupon voucher is cheap enough!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

A large group of my girlfriends and I got a voucher (Groupon I think although you'll see vouchers for this place with all of them), to go for a cheap Italian.
The voucher was £22 worth of food for 2 people - the voucher costing £5 - seems like a bargain.
However... It very specifically said on the voucher you could have garlic bread as a starter, but when we ordered garlic bread we were told it wasn't included. When we said but it says so right here the manager went off on a massive rant about how he was going to sue Groupon for mid-representation. He refused to let us order the garlic bread - we should have left there and then!
Not being able to order the garlic bread meant that it was impossible to spend less than £11 each on food.
Now I'm not saying that a half decent restaurant should charge less than that for their food, but the point was we'd bought a voucher which we believed meant our food had been paid for.
Please bear in mind that we had wine flowing. It's not like we weren't spending money on overpriced drinks - we were.
So for the food...
A few of us ordered the potato skins as it was the cheapest starter (the cheapest starter we could order so we could use our voucher). These potato skins were greasy scraps of potato that had been deep fried. Literally nasty scraps of potato. They were supposed to come
with a dip but they said they had none left. I said if it didn't come with a dip I wasn't paying for it. Miraculously a big pot of dip turned up within 2 mins. I didn't eat more than a couple.
Then for the main...
Sorry but disgusting doesn't even cover it - it was inedible! A few of us ordered carbonara. It was overcooked pasta basically swimming in milk with some chunks of fatty ham. I literally had one mouthful. Gross!
A couple of girls said their food was ok but only ok for the £2.50 they paid, not the nearly £10 they were charging for mains. And definitely not good.
A lot of the food was uneaten and they didn't ask us if it was ok.
When it came to paying they gave us a bill which was charging us £30 more than we'd spent -£30!! I think they thought because it was a big group and we'd been drinking that we wouldn't notice.
Absolutely disgusting restaurant and I cannot believe they're still in business. They always seem to have vouchers available and I think that's the only way they get customers. I cannot imagine anyone would go more than once.
One final point - the toilets. They're down a set of long steep stairs into a freezing cold cellar. There was no lock on one door and no toilet seat on the other.
I have been to plenty of restaurants using vouchers and they've all been fine, with some of them being great. The Godfather is a joke.

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Got this on a Groupon deal - Pay £5, get £22 off your bill. With a drink each, it came to about £12 (plus the £5), so £17 for two starters, two mains and two drinks. Beer - there was only one to choose from - was £3.50, sparkling water was £3.

Tired interior, dirty women's toilet (didn't try the men's). Felt like stepping back a few decades.

Starters were ok, one main was ok. The other - filled pasta - was rock hard in the middle, so had to go back. The second one was piping hot... but still quite hard in the middle. Food quite salty on the whole.

Also managed to see into the serving hatch, where someone had a small row with the boss after slamming shut the dumb waiter.

For £17, it's possible to get much better food in a much better environment elsewhere.

On the plus side, the waitress was very friendly and happy to help.

• Visited August 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Visited here last week with my friend. The restaurant only had 3 other tables occupied and we were shown straight to our table by a friendly waitress. We ordered a large orange juice each and my friend had potato skins and I had parma ham with melon. My dish was really nice - (can't really go wrong with this). The potato skins were just ok - nothing to write about. My friend had the Calzone pizza and I had the ham and pineapple pizza. My friend did not enjoy her Calzone she has had far better elsewhere. My pizza was fine - nothing special. Like a lot of other diners, we went here on a voucher which we paid £5 for - you are told you have to order a starter and a main meal each. If you don't want a starter you will still be charged for the cheapest one which I think, from memory is £4.95. In my opinion, the prices are quite expensive for an Italian restaurant. But, overall, you can't complain too much if you read the terms on the voucher. Most other Italian restaurants would charge at least £10 for their vouchers. So, at the end of the day, we had to pay nearly £14 extra which I thought was quite a lot given that we only had an orange juice each Not the best quality, just ok - but you get what you pay for.

• Visited July 2013