“Just fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

+44 191 240 7777
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Scalinis Italian Restaurant, Jesmond offers Mediterranean style cuisine with a predominant Italian influence. One of the busiest and most popular Italian restaurants in Newcastle, Scalini’s Restaurant is frequented by both young and old and is the place to look for celebrity clientele.
“Just fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a family visit arriving at around 2.00pm without a booking. It was quiet but we got a great table. Drinks order taken and they arrived quickly. We ordered from the Sunday Special menu which is fantastic value. Two crab brushetta's and bread and olives to start. The starters were very good. For mains, the kids had pizza with ham and linguine - both excellent and really good size portions (the kids meal deal with main, drink and pudding is great value too). For the grown ups, the Turkey Sunday lunch was magnificent, lots of meat, tasty stuffing and really nice vegetables. The mixed meat lunch was just amazing, loads of beef, turkey and pork with all of the trimmings, it was a challenge to get through it but it was one of the best lunches I have had. The gravy makes a big difference and it was delicious. The kids had rice pudding for dessert which was wolfed down. The drinks are well priced, the atmosphere really good and the restaurant is really bright and airy following the revamp. We do enjoy Scallinis and it won't be long before we return.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The Malhotra G, Manager at Scalini's Jesmond, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. So glad you enjoyed our food. We are really pleased with our referb and are glad you like it too. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Poor!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Eventually got around to visiting Scalini's in Jesmond for the first time after hearing positive reviews from friends and family. We were shown to a table outside as it was a very hot afternoon. Our drinks order was taken by a female member of staff, no food recommendations were made or the lunchtime offers pointed out to us. As we were short of time I quickly ordered a garlic bread starter and three pizzas. The garlic bread was bland and tasteless with very little garlic. The pizzas were equally tasteless, the best part of the meal was the chips which were lovely and crisp. Non of the staff bothered to ask if everything was all right with our meal, they didn't even check if we had enjoyed our food when they removed the plates. I paid the bill and waited for my change which never arrived! The waiter must have decided that I wouldn't want the 25p change. My intention was to add a couple of pounds to the change as a tip, so in his greed he missed out!! I also noticed that the same waiter, when delivering the bill to the couple next to me were offered a discount card for their next visit. The waiter must have guessed that I wouldn't be returning so didn't bother offering me one! After ten minutes of waiting I realised that I probably wouldn't be seeing my change so I went off in surch of the toilets. Once inside the toilet I noticed a poster advertising the restaurants special lunch menu, two courses at a discounted price! surely as I had ordered a starter and main I should have been charged this. So all in all, bland food, poor service and over charged, will not be returning!

Visited July 2014
The Malhotra G, Manager at Scalini's Jesmond, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re really sorry you didn't enjoy your meal with us. Our daytime food offer (Menu Fisso) which is 1 course for £5.50, 2 courses for £7.50 and 3 courses for £8.50 is on selected dishes and printed on the menu. This should have been pointed out to you by our staff when you were seated, along with any specials of the day. I’m sorry that this wasn't brought to your attention. Garlic bread is not one of the items within the Menu Fisso offer, which is why you were charged full price for this. Please be assured that you were not overcharged for your garlic bread – if it had been included in the Menu Fisso offer, the discount would automatically be applied to the bill.

We want every customer to have the best dining experience possible, and would encourage diners to let the waiting staff know if they are not happy with their food and we would do everything we could to rectify this. Waiting staff should always bring back a customer’s change, no matter how small, and I can only assume that this was human error. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. This will be taken up with the manager.

The discount card which you mentioned would have been a 20% discount voucher for your next visit for completing our feedback card. The feedback cards are placed on every table and are to be completed by customers and handed into staff. An email is then sent with the 20% voucher. It appears that the waiter must have brought this up in conversation with the other diners.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards.

The team at Scalini’s Jesmond
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed, ruined our night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Table booked for a Friday night which wasn't that particularly busy. Sat in a nice table in the corner which was sort of private which was nice given the occasion was our wedding anniversary which was not stated at the time of booking as we don't like the fuss.
Drinks order was taken by a female waitress where the food order was by a male waiter.. This will make sense later...starters came within about 10 minutes of ordering which was delivered by another male waiter. Starters were delicious and very presentable. Then at this point for whatever reason the nightmare began. The main dishes were a Calzone and penne pollo Roma both pretty simple dishes which take no more than 15 minutes to cook.
My wife and I were enjoying our chat but as the hour mark crept up we started looking around for any sort of explanation as to where our food was?... Then out of nowhere a calzone pizza and pasta dish landed on our table..
When I informed the female waitress that we had been waiting over an hour she apologised and explained that the calzones take twenty minutes.. Your missing the point pet, it's been over an hour.. And I know fine well that a calzone does not take twenty minutes. The waitress then left without even offering any accompaniments . Then I looked at my wife's dish which was bone dry, the sauce had now been dried to the side of the dish, it was totally tasteless, clearly left under the hot lamp and forgotten. At this point the frustration was starting to boil over but carry on we did, I then cut into my calzone (1 hour late) only to find the onions were still raw, the mozzarella cheese not even melted, sauce cold along with the chicken which thankfully was cooked but not heated through, obviously cooked earlier in the day and placed into a tub to be thrown into a wok later. The pastry was not even cooked.... Calzone takes twenty minutes sir, more like 1 minute... Unbelievable... Our table was then attended by another waiter who asked if everything was ok, who exactly was looking after our section three different persons and it was not that busy. After calmly informing the waiter that this was beyond the joke, I then asked to see the manager... My wife observed the male waiter inform a female who we believe was other the duty manager or the manager that evening. We were then approached by the supervisor.. Did I not ask for the manager?... After relaying our disappointment and annoyance to the supervisor who unfortunately took the wrath we were then presented with the bill where all the food had been written off, nice gesture but this really ruined the night as it's not often we get out due to the nature of our jobs and two children. I cannot believe the manager or even the duty manager did not come over and apologise. This was bad management especially when they were aware that they had been requested.... Thanks Scalini's, bye bye Scalini's

Visited July 2014
The Malhotra G, Manager at Scalini's Jesmond, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We work very hard to deliver the best service and food to our customers and we’re extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your meal with us at Scalini’s Jesmond.

We have looked into this matter further and it would appear that the waiter who took your food order had missed your main course of calzone when he ran it through the till with the rest of your order, and this caused a delay in the chefs being notified of the full order. We apologise that you had such a long delay on your food arriving and for the standard of the food you received. The serving staff should have made you aware of what was going on and the reason for the delay. We are looking into this matter with the management team at the restaurant to ensure that this doesn't happen again. The waiter should have also made you aware that the calzone pizza can take up to 20 minutes to cook. The chicken for the pizza is pre-cooked each day, so that it can be added to our pizzas and cooked in the pizza oven. In this instance the chef has tried to rush your pizza through, because of the delay and as a consequence you have been served with a pizza that is below our usual standards, and for this we sincerely apologise.

The supervisor that dealt with your complaint on the night was in fact the senior member of staff on this particular shift. And we are pleased that the food was removed from your bill, including the starters which you enjoyed, to try to compensate you for your bad experience. But we are sorry that you didn't enjoy your anniversary meal, and hope that you can accept our sincerest apologies for this.
North East UK
“Never fails to deliver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Like everything, disliked nothing. Nice bar area and food excellent. Closes food at 22:00 which is a bit early.

Visited July 2014
The Malhotra G, Manager at Scalini's Jesmond, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Scalini's and found the food excellent. We did previously serve food until 11pm, however after researching into this, found that there was not much trade after 10pm which is why we moved our food serving times from 12pm-10pm. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
“Lunch time special ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great Sunday lunch today, staff were great. Service was impeccable, nothing was any trouble. Food was perfect served on time and at the right temperature.

What a fabulous review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent Sunday lunch with us - thank you for such kind feedback. We hope to see you again soon.